Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hates Nevada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the Silver State Challenge in a Tesla? It looks like a heck of a lot of fun -- but the nearest chargers are Chademo, 30 miles north of the start and 20 miles south of the finish..
They should add a class for cars driven by the cars. I think the speed limit for Auto Pilot is only 90 mph, so that class would have to go last, but think of the boring excitement!

Sounds like a blast! It should be doable with the overall loss in elevation and nearby CHAdeMO stations.
Even if just one person brought an adapter, everyone could take turns. Wonder what the duty rating for the CHAdeMO adapter is, can it charge more than one car at a stretch? I guess EVGo would have not put them on their charge stations if they couldn't go all day

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just thought I'd let those interested on this thread know about this new Supercharger thread for Ely I've started.
Per my first post, Ridley's has just signed a contract to host. More activity should be following soon.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Matsayz
Finally decided to go on 50 and charged at Cold Springs Station (used my CHAdeMO adapter). There is also another charger in Austin further down the way. Hope Tesla will consider a supercharger in Austinto get to Ely.

Glad to hear that Cold Springs Station worked.

IMO Tesla should put a SC site in Fallon as well. Fallon gets both US 95 and US 50 traffic. Distance between Fallon and Ely is 210 miles - which is within the range of most Teslas most of the time.

Currently there is a single CCS/CHAdeMO and a single J1772 charging station available at Fox Peak Station in Fallon. Gets a fair number of plugshare checkins.

Glad to hear that Cold Springs Station worked.

IMO Tesla should put a SC site in Fallon as well. Fallon gets both US 95 and US 50 traffic. Distance between Fallon and Ely is 210 miles - which is within the range of most Teslas most of the time.

Currently there is a single CCS/CHAdeMO and a single J1772 charging station available at Fox Peak Station in Fallon. Gets a fair number of plugshare checkins.
Lol. Not if the wind is blowing and or you have to use climate control in anything short of a 100D or S/X long range at speeds that wont get you cursed at.

Lol. Not if the wind is blowing and or you have to use climate control in anything short of a 100D or S/X long range at speeds that wont get you cursed at.

(shrug) Ely->Fallon wasn't much of a problem in my Model 3 LR when I did it. If I'd had a SR(+), it would have been much dicier. Admittedly I was doing sight seeing and not practicing for the Silver State Classic Challenge. Also did a little L2 charging while eating lunch at Cold Springs Station. (This was long before they had their official charging stations installed. So we used their 14-50s.)

I just noticed that large open spot on the tesla find us page in NV, wow.

What i have done is contact a business and provide them with the link to the become a supercharging partner along with what i feel are good reasons for them to request a SC at their business. like increased foot traffic and sales and such.
I'm not sure if that is how we finally got the SC in Amador county CA at mels diner but I emailed tesla and mels along with a few other places including city planners office about putting one there because to go from Manteca to Carson city you have to charge up to 98% if you wanna take hwy 88. But now with one in Jackson its super easy to take 88 and enjoy the scenery of the area.

So i suggest you reach out and tell folks to put one or a couple in that dead area. I have been to a few gas stations in NV along 80 that had the SC at a gas station, which is very logical because their profits don't come from selling gas but from selling food and stuff inside.

Is there an outlet at the building your meeting is at? Or maybe see if you could get it approved to have a charger installed? If it’s a Gov’t building they may see it as improving things even if it does take a year to complete the paperwork.

If you aren’t immediately turned off by the price of the Chademo adapter then do it up. Most people are completely peeved at even thought of having to spend more money after buying the car. Let us know what you do and make sure you use a referral code so you get the free supercharger miles since you’ll be using them!
The high speed chargers on this route in wells, Ely and Alamo are in the right location for recharging , especially in winter, but on my several (3) winter time trips, there is frequently a problem
With one of these sites which can add overnight stay or long side track to the trip. I always call ahead to check, but even at that I can count on a problem at one of the three locations.
So like I said, locations are good, but reliability is a big issue.
So come on Tesla open up to non Tesla vehicles.
Would be a tremendous help in the rural north / south routes of Idaho, Nevada and Oregon.
Thanks from the idaho, Nevada Outback.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Coincidence: I'm in Las Vegas today on a road trip to Montana. Once again I must follow the interstate through Utah which is far out of the way to get to the Bitterroot Valley. If Tesla would put superchargers in Ely, life would be so much better. Why are they totally neglecting this major N-S US route and the East-West route as well?😕

A good excuse for purchasing the CCS adapter - assuming your car is CCS enabled. (Or beg/borrow/steal a CHAdeMO adapter.)

Coincidence: I'm in Las Vegas today on a road trip to Montana. Once again I must follow the interstate through Utah which is far out of the way to get to the Bitterroot Valley. If Tesla would put superchargers in Ely, life would be so much better. Why are they totally neglecting this major N-S US route and the East-West route as well?😕
Maybe you are traveling too early?

ely_nv_sc.jpg

Yeah, I know it's been on the books for a year and a half. I'm still waiting for El Portal (Yosemite), CA to open....

A good excuse for purchasing the CCS adapter - assuming your car is CCS enabled. (Or beg/borrow/steal a CHAdeMO adapter.)
Thanks wws, My 2019X-LR came with J1772 adapter. I used it once to test it. Since I have lifetime unlimited free supercharging, I prefer to use Tesla network. Besides, I would not want to take a chance of not being able to charge at all in case the other brand chargers are not working. There are many such stories.