Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The light vehicle vs. the heavy vehicle argument has been around since SUVs started getting into crashes. SUVs are even worse because they are higher than other sedans are will cause more damage in an SUV-sedan collision.

Sorry to hear about all this though.

A little more info from the local LB paper this AM:

Media sources are reporting the name of the Tesla driver in Tuesday’s double-fatal crash
The first 9-1-1 caller appearing in the police log at 6:43 Tuesday morning told the dispatcher that a white Mercedes had forced his Tesla into oncoming traffic and that he had crashed into another car.
The police have not released the Tesla driver’s name as they continue to probe the cause and potential criminal charges that are bound to follow.
The white Mercedes was not on the scene when police and fire units arrived. An email was circulated claiming that a witness had told police that he saw the Tesla and Mercedes “racing” just prior to the fatal crash.
Police have confirmed that the Tesla was heading eastbound on Laguna Canyon Road from El Toro Road and did not merge into the single lane that begins where the two lanes end. The Tesla continued on the wrong side of the roadway and hit a Honda Accord (the Tesla weighed a ton more than the Honda) head-on instantly killing Armando Garcia-Gonzales, 39 of Santa Ana and Alberto Casique-Salinas, 47, Anaheim.
Even though the police have not released the Tesla driver’s name, KTLA-TV identified him Tuesday night as Robert M. Pettis, MD, from Laguna Beach. Several other media sources have also reported that Pettis was the driver.
Police have not confirmed that information.
The Tesla driver was transported to hospital with minor injuries according to police.

FWIW: Robert M Pettis - Google Search

Can't see how he could have been FORCED over though. I don't know the road, but could he not have slowed and relented to the Mercedes?

Last edited:
Nobody complained when Joe the plumbers tax records and divorce was revealed...

This person appears to be the reason why 3 people are dead.

Nothing wrong with knowing who he is.

Forced over... :( you can only get "forced over" if you are attempting to hold you ground. This wasn't a racing circuit.

Three people are dead.

Yeah, I want to know who did it.

Had AO posted his information, I would agree with you, BUT he didn't, he linked a standard Google search of his name. It is then Google that then posts that information. I think your real beef is with Google...

I see no reason to be posting/publishing his work address and personal data. As a matter of fact I find that completely out of bounds and despicable.

Forced over... :( you can only get "forced over" if you are attempting to hold you ground. This wasn't a racing circuit.

Nonsense. Another car can physically push yours into another lane. Or it can move up to where it is slightly in front, and then cut in towards you, leaving you no "out" other than a swerve. I'm not saying that either of those things happened in this case. None of us knows the specifics in this case, but hopefully the police will actually discover the truth.

Yeah, I want to know who did it.

Once the police announce the name, yes I do too. And once they determine what happened. Last thing we need is some hothead tracking down the doctor because they THINK they know what happened.

AO, thank you for removing that.

We all want to know what happened and we all feel for the loss of life. But the speculation is getting out of control.

I must admit, I'm a little confused about this "forced over" thing. My understanding is that there are two lanes that eventually merge into one. This isn't a rarity in the world; a lot of freeway entrance ramps work this way. Two lanes that merge into one.

And we've probably all encountered that moment where it seems like both cars are arriving at the merge simultaneously.

You just slow down and let the other person go ahead.

What concerns me about this story more than anything else is the thought that these two cars were racing at dangerous speeds on a road that is even more poorly suited for racing than most (because of the merge), and that led to the condition of being "forced" (e.g. because there wasn't enough time to reduce speed to fall behind the other car).

What doesn't concern me about this story is how it impacts Tesla or the public perception of Tesla. Teslas are cars, and all cars are potentially deadly instruments.

It's a terrible thing that happened, and a sobering reminder that we are not invincible... and neither are the people around us.

As for the doctor driving the Tesla, all I can say is that I hope appearances don't tell the full story here.

I must admit, I'm a little confused about this "forced over" thing. My understanding is that there are two lanes that eventually merge into one. This isn't a rarity in the world; a lot of freeway entrance ramps work this way. Two lanes that merge into one.

And we've probably all encountered that moment where it seems like both cars are arriving at the merge simultaneously.

You just slow down and let the other person go ahead.

What concerns me about this story more than anything else is the thought that these two cars were racing at dangerous speeds on a road that is even more poorly suited for racing than most (because of the merge), and that led to the condition of being "forced" (e.g. because there wasn't enough time to reduce speed to fall behind the other car).

What doesn't concern me about this story is how it impacts Tesla or the public perception of Tesla. Teslas are cars, and all cars are potentially deadly instruments.

It's a terrible thing that happened, and a sobering reminder that we are not invincible... and neither are the people around us.

As for the doctor driving the Tesla, all I can say is that I hope appearances don't tell the full story here.

Yeah, very easily to speculate. Facts we do know.

Doctor was the first one to call in and report the accident. He told 911 that he was "forced" into the oncoming traffic by another car.

Several witnesses reported a white Mercedes was "racing" the MS. That driver did not come forward as a "witness" to the accident yet, nor did he/she stop when it happened. There certainly exists the possibility of hit and run by the Mercedes, and/or road rage. The whole story has not come out.

Nonsense. Another car can physically push yours into another lane. Or it can move up to where it is slightly in front, and then cut in towards you, leaving you no "out" other than a swerve. I'm not saying that either of those things happened in this case. None of us knows the specifics in this case, but hopefully the police will actually discover the truth.

Have you ever raced?

You hit the brakes, you don't swerve into oncoming traffic. This wasn't a 10 mph collision.
As witnesses reported, two cars involved in competitive acceleration.
Yes, I lay blame at the Tesla driver. This was not a demolition derby where the Mercedes slammed into the Tesla and made it move into oncoming traffic.
Look at the pics. Do you see right side damage?

This was a spontaneous drag race engaged by choice and testosterone. The Tesla driver made a very, very bad decision and two people died.

Mark this post.

Apologies but I thought it was massively out of order to accuse someone of killing 2 other people without the full facts. :)

Really?

Yes indeed, the Tesla drive IS accused of killing two people.

His car slammed into oncoming traffic.

He controlled the car. He is accused, not convicted.

There is no right side damage to the car. He was not slammed into. The hypothetical evasive maneuver the driver chose was to go into opposing traffic instead of slamming on the brakes.

Those are the facts. Two people dead. One Tesla in the opposite lane. A witness declaring two cars racing. No right side damage to the Tesla.

The driver is responsible for his/her actions.

Yeah, very easily to speculate. Facts we do know.

Doctor was the first one to call in and report the accident. He told 911 that he was "forced" into the oncoming traffic by another car.

Several witnesses reported a white Mercedes was "racing" the MS. That driver did not come forward as a "witness" to the accident yet, nor did he/she stop when it happened. There certainly exists the possibility of hit and run by the Mercedes, and/or road rage. The whole story has not come out.

How do you force somebody into incoming traffic without making contact?

The Tesla was not going 10 mph and has no right side damage.

Why did the driver choose to swerve instead of braking?