Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

childressmd

Jan 30, 2013
Indy
This thread will not end.

Yes, I know I don't have to read it.

But I chuckle nonetheless every time I scan down the new posts and find another post of new data, calculations and theories from the forum detectives.

Last edited by a moderator:

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I believe the weight of a 20 year old Accord was indeed half the weight.

Base weight of 2728 lbs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Accord#Fourth_generation_.281990.E2.80.931993.29 That's probably for an LX sedan. The EX weighs marginally more due to additional equipment.

Now depending on where the Accord was owned and driven, it could easily lose weight over time due to rust. In the U.S. Northeast, Accords like that one would be full of holes in the body. In California and the U.S. Southwest, there's a good chance of no corrosion at all. I don't know if total weight loss would go to a couple hundred pounds though without the car falling into pieces.

kinddog

Banned
Oct 8, 2012
Northern Virginia
Hillarious!

9ef9cdaa_hillary-point-and-laugh.jpe

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY

I can't believe how undamaged the mid-to-rear of the Tesla is given the state of the Honda. looking at the two cars is like night and day. the crumble zone of the model S just completely swallowed up the entire impact leaving it's occupant 100% unscathed. at least now I feel really safe. can't say I'd say the same for anyone else on the other end though. :(

dflye

S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814
Oct 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
What amazes me, in the two photos showing the (steel?) bumper that took the direct impact for the most part, it looks to be barely scuffed, let alone dented or bent. It seems to have maintained shape like the prow of an icebreaker ship, transferring all of the force of the impact to the crumple zone behind.

SCW-Greg

Jun 13, 2012
Beaverton, OR
Okay, no more wrecks people, let alone our own health and happiness (and those around us), this can't be good for insurance rates - if this car becomes known for this kind of driver/activity.

Use your Model S wisely and drive safe.

jeff_adams

Mar 18, 2013
Monterey
Okay, no more wrecks people, let alone our own health and happiness (and those around us), this can't be good for insurance rates - if this car becomes known for this kind of driver/activity.

Use your Model S wisely and drive safe.

Over 10k in VINS issued. Impressive that there haven't been more major accidents

Jan 6, 2012
We called our insurance agent who is in Laguna Beach (even though we have since moved elsewhere) to talk about adding our soon-to-arrive Model S to our policy, and of course he brought up this crash (but also said the cost to ensure the Model S is coming up no higher than for any other new car). He also mentioned he had 10 customers get Model Ses in the past 10 days!

MikeK

R#129, TSLA shareholder
Jun 29, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Yes, it was posted earlier but it's well buried in the depths of the thread. I posted almost exactly the same frame grab on page 17, in fact.

There is also a rather interesting photo posted to page 16 that shows a rear view of the car, but one in which you can deformation of the hood on the right side that I don't think is as evident in the overhead view.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC