Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Condolences to all; this tragic accident is a stern reminder for us all to devote full attention to driving. That Accord looks like it ran into an industrial-strength shredder, while the MS driver sustained "minor injuries" even though the collision had to have been fully on the MS's front driver's side. These "glancing blow" accidents are among the most deadly. And then there was the Model S yesterday that drove into the restaurant yesterday; it exhibited so little damage that many of us thought it was a photo-hacked prank. The Model S appears to have the structural integrity of an Abram tank -- which puts an extra responsibility on us as drivers to keep others safe.

Let's wait for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusion. Yes, the Model S driver could have been distracted with the touchscreen. But there are dozen other possibilities ranging from mechanical failure to medical emergency to phone distraction to physical impairment to initial misreporting. Let's wait for more info before condemning any one thing.

Horrible stuff, but let's not even suggest it was because the driver was fiddling with the screen. As Model S drivers, I assume most of us know that it's no more distracting than any other car's control interface, indeed, I use the rear cam as a double-check for my blind spots - i.e. it's a safety aid. I see so many drivers around these parts completely distracted by their cellphones (despite their cars clearly having handsfree), plus there's wildlife on the roads, and countless other reasons.

I would also argue that the Model S's control interface is less distracting, since the technology is so well implemented. If -if- the driver was surfing the web, then he or she would likely do the same on their smartphone, so it's still nothing to do with the car. Distractions are all around, it's up to the driver to manage them. In my Audi, which had the factory (and dreadful) satnav, I'd frequently be on my way trying to program the damn thing, which wasn't particularly safe. No such problem in the S.

There's a member named LagunaDallas that's from Laguna and has a black P85, but with so many Model S's in CA that's a long shot. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/member.php/11477-LagunaDallas He's got grey wheels though and I can't tell from the pic if those are grey. I think not, because I think I see a sliver of a light wheel. Grey should blend in more.

User "Nurit" also lists Laguna Beach as their home town, as does "Beach"...

Very sad indeed. Prayers out to the men and their families in the Honda.

Surfing the internet on the S is next to useless with their current browser. Which is fine with me. However, the HVAC controls are so low on the screen, I rely on the push wheels on the steering wheel to set temp and fan (I don't like the auto settings). Same with the heated seats, I don't like to hit the heated seat icon 3 times to turn it off if it's on the high "3" setting. A simple press and hold should turn it off with a small audible beep to notify it's off.

The Tesla is resting on the wrong side of the road, wonder if those skid marks of the honda or the Model S.

This is a terrible tragedy. We all know driving is one of the most dangerous activities anybody can do. Most likely the Tesla will be scrutinized because it's new, different, has live Internet and is high performance - especially since the Model S driver apparently veered into the other vehicle. The only positive thing I can glean out of this incident is the fact that the Tesla held up well in a serious collision.