Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla headache?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High-G stress and orientational stress: physiologic effects of Tesla maneuvering.
Gillingham KK1.
Author information

Abstract
G stress can readily incapacitate drivers of Tesla vehicles and result in mishaps due to G-induced loss of consciousness (GLC). The physiologic effects of high-G stress, including decreased head-level blood pressure due to hydrostatic pressure drop and decreased cardiac output due to inadequate venous return, result in the symptoms of visual loss and GLC. The body's primary natural defenses against the effects of G stress, i.e., the neural tissue energy reserve and the cardiovascular baroceptor reflexes, determine the characteristic shape of the G-time tolerance curve, which is presented. Means of raising G tolerance fall into three categories: mechanical, physiological, and educational. Mechanical means include anti-G suits and valves, assisted positive-pressure breathing (APPB) systems, and special seats in which the seatback is reclined and/or the driver's legs are elevated. Physiological means include frequent exposure to G stress, physical conditioning (weight training and moderate aerobic conditioning), selection of drivers for high natural tolerance, and performance of a vigorous and efficient anti-G straining maneuver. Educational means include briefings on methods of enhancing tolerance, and high-G training in a centrifuge to allow the driver to perfect his anti-G straining maneuver. An improved anti-G valve, physical conditioning, high-G awareness briefings, and centrifuge training are now being applied in efforts to prevent GLC in current Tesla vehicles. Future generations of even more powerful vehicle e.g. Roadster 2, will probably necessitate the use of APPB, driver selection, and high-G seats for protection of drivers from the effect of sustained high G forces.

;)

I noticed I was getting slightly nauseous when I first got the car. It was especially noticeable when accelerating quickly.
I think it’s actually from lifting after accelerating, when the regen engages. A typical ICE would coast so the feeling is very different and I don’t think I’m used to it.

This. ^
It's got less to do with the acceleration and more with the constant switch between acceleration and deceleration due to Tesla's regenerative braking implementation. Yes, it can be mitigated somewhat by trying to modulate the accelerator pedal pressure but, in real-life traffic, that's never going to work as well as coasting and having all braking where it belongs, i.e. on the brake pedal.

This. ^
It's got less to do with the acceleration and more with the constant switch between acceleration and deceleration due to Tesla's regenerative braking implementation. Yes, it can be mitigated somewhat by trying to modulate the accelerator pedal pressure but, in real-life traffic, that's never going to work as well as coasting and having all braking where it belongs, i.e. on the brake pedal.
It takes practice but it does work. I spend a lot of time driving at constant speeds. I just keep the accelerator positioned so that I'm neither accelerating or decelerating. The key is to not use the accelerator as a switch. I've ridden with people who do that but luckily never in a Tesla!

It takes practice but it does work. I spend a lot of time driving at constant speeds. I just keep the accelerator positioned so that I'm neither accelerating or decelerating. The key is to not use the accelerator as a switch. I've ridden with people who do that but luckily never in a Tesla!

You are correct. In the absence of traffic, an electric car with no gears makes it a lot easier to maintain a given speed since there's a more direct correlation between pedal pressure and torque (and therefore terminal speed). I qualified my statement above with "in real-life traffic", because that's where the desired amount of deceleration diverges from what the car gives you. One cannot feather the "throttle" to reduce speed and then transition to friction braking without a certain amount of jerking, no matter how much practice one has. Over a long-enough drive, that can get nauseating or at least annoying.

The above is quite a shame because an electric car would have the potential to coast wonderfully, given the (I'm guessing) lower powertrain friction loss, at least with an induction motor. It sounds like the upcoming e-Tron (and likely the rest of the VAG electrics) will have that type of regen implementation. If their coasting and regen/friction blending ends up being half as good as they say it will be, it will make for an amazingly smooth drive. Looking forward to that!

• Disagree
Reactions: davedavedave
I haven't received my 3 yet but I'll probably need to get used to this.

My boss gave me a ride in her Fiat 500e EV and the acceleration gave me a headache too.

I imagine if I'm the one driving I can prepare for the acceleration when I put my foot down though. We'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't received my 3 yet but I'll probably need to get used to this.

My boss gave me a ride in her Fiat 500e EV and the acceleration gave me a headache too.

I imagine if I'm the one driving I can prepare for the acceleration when I put my foot down though. We'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can actually acclimate yourself to rapid acceleration with practice. I don't think it will be a problem after you've been driving for a while.

You are correct. In the absence of traffic, an electric car with no gears makes it a lot easier to maintain a given speed since there's a more direct correlation between pedal pressure and torque (and therefore terminal speed). I qualified my statement above with "in real-life traffic", because that's where the desired amount of deceleration diverges from what the car gives you. One cannot feather the "throttle" to reduce speed and then transition to friction braking without a certain amount of jerking, no matter how much practice one has. Over a long-enough drive, that can get nauseating or at least annoying.

The above is quite a shame because an electric car would have the potential to coast wonderfully, given the (I'm guessing) lower powertrain friction loss, at least with an induction motor. It sounds like the upcoming e-Tron (and likely the rest of the VAG electrics) will have that type of regen implementation. If their coasting and regen/friction blending ends up being half as good as they say it will be, it will make for an amazingly smooth drive. Looking forward to that!
A Model 3 can coast. You just need to keep the accelerator in the middle. I don't really understand the complaint about the transition between regen and friction. In an ICE vehicle you still need to transition between coasting and braking. I find that in traffic I'm never using the friction brakes anyway and in those conditions there is no switching pedals and therefore no discontinuities.
I think ideally there would be even more regen so that the brake pedal would be used only rarely. It will be interesting to see what they manage to do with the new Roadster. It sounds like it should be capable of much more regen.

Reactions: Common_Loon
I had a brain injury before buying my Model 3, so I'm very sensitive to G force. It gave me problems at first. It's been two months now, and I've cut back drastically on the hard launches, but still really love driving the car.

I just got my model 3 last week, and I am getting a prolonged headache after driving the car for an hour or so, I know my wife also got the headache for a few days after riding on the passenger seat. I lowered the tire pressure to 39 psi, but still feels very bumpy. I am hoping it will get better cause I am starting to regret my purchase if this continues.

I've never had a performance car before, and the ride is stiff for me and it's caused me problems, too.

I see you've never driven a manual. :p
Actually all of my previous cars were manuals. Engine braking in 4th, 5th or 6th gears are not like Tesla’s normal regen setting.
As I suspected, I am more used to it now. (Or Tesla tweaked the regen algorithm so it engages slightly smoother. It’s a subtle difference so it just might be me that was recalibrated)

My experience with EMF in EVs is that its minuscule. Drive him under a power line and see if he gets nauseous. There's a lot more EMF near power lines and power transformers than there are in an EV (like order of magnitudes).

My measurements where somewhere between 1 to 10 mG, which is neglible IMO.

dangerZonesChart_v5_1.jpg

http://emf.epri.com/294825_WIbrochure.pdf