Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla heat pump / HVAC (non auto)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Buckminster
Regular dryers send the moisture off with the hot air, if it's ventless, where does it go? Does it get condensed on the cold side and then pumped out to a drain just like a washing machine?
Um. Not quite the point. The drier always sends the moisture elsewhere.

Thing is, standard electric driers simply heat the air with a coil before blasting the hot air into the clothes; a gas-fired drier burns natural gas and the hot air from that goes through the clothes.

What a heat pump does is to use a minimal amount of electrical energy to extract heat from air elsewhere. Probably from a heat exchanger outside the house. The heat exchanger in this box would take in air from the room, heat the blazes out of it, then blast that into the clothes.

This uses roughly 3X-5X less energy than an electric heater coil, just like the heat exchanger in a Tesla heats the cabin using less energy than a straight heater coil like the older Teslas do.

Regular dryers send the moisture off with the hot air, if it's ventless, where does it go? Does it get condensed on the cold side and then pumped out to a drain just like a washing machine?
Yep, it's basically a high output dehumidifier with the clothes between what would have been the exhaust (hot air) and the intake (condense the water vapor) and has a drain line.
Due to the evaporation/condensation cycle I don't think it lends itself to integration in a whole house system (beyond a commonized compressor).

Reactions: Buckminster
Yep, it's basically a high output dehumidifier with the clothes between what would have been the exhaust (hot air) and the intake (condense the water vapor) and has a drain line.
Due to the evaporation/condensation cycle I don't think it lends itself to integration in a whole house system (beyond a commonized compressor).
Due to the complicated logistics of it, I think these heat pump dryers are mostly standalone units instead of sharing a compressor with the house.

We're planning to install one soon once we get the 240V line set up. They're Energy Star rated so it's easy to find one that's more highly efficient.

Reactions: mongo
Due to the complicated logistics of it, I think these heat pump dryers are mostly standalone units instead of sharing a compressor with the house.

We're planning to install one soon once we get the 240V line set up. They're Energy Star rated so it's easy to find one that's more highly efficient.
Yeah, at this point, no appliances share compressors. The dryer is a little different in that it isn't trying to create an overall net hotter or colder region as opposed to a refrigerator or freezer that heat the room to cool their interior.
Still though, the dryer compressor does result in a net energy increase (depending on condensate discharge temperature).