Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hired Volvo's Head Of Interior Engineering To Fix Its Interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too, I think most of the so called luxury cars have way to much stuff going on in the cockpit. Like the clean uncluttered interior of the Tesla's, some say it is not up to the other cars in its price range. To that I would say buy those cars instead of the Tesla.
I just don't understand why the controls have to be "revolutionary" like the powertrain. I want a good looking electric car, so tesla's really the only option. But I wish they weren't trying to revolutionize the cabin like they did the powertrain. Powertrains NEEDED to be revolutionized. Cabins didn't. They're being changed just to say "look how revolutionary we are!"

While Tesla's cockpit arguably is modern and uncluttered, the rest of the interior is simply lacking in features and in many places quality. The trunk system for example simply pales in comparison to your average $30,000 German wagon or SUV. Let alone when comparing seat and luxuries in the $100,000+ segment.

I came to Tesla from an Audi A8. I gave up a lot of comforts. Today I loaded some stuff to an Audi Q5 and noted how superior its rear features and quality actually are compared to any Tesla. And a Q5 is hardly luxurious. It simply has tons of interior quality and features a much higher-end Tesla lacks.

Q5 rear seat and trunk for example absolutely put a 5 seater Model X to shame in both quality and features. It has and does almost everything more. Only is size it looses due to being a smaller car.

I appreciate Tesla for many things. I even like the cockpit. But the truth must be said, they are way behind behind that.

Last edited:
That's an interesting one. The trunk of my TDI is decked with a flimsy piece of barely-cardboard. What features are you thinking of that are superior to that of the Model S?

In my opinion, iwannam3 has the best handle on how to approach evaluating a Tesla. I would tweak it by suggesting it has a $30k battery, a $30k powertrain, a $15-20k energy cost-saving future, and a $35k interior.

Well, comparing Audi Q5 and Model X 5 seater the Q5 has the following:

- Similar back seat but superior quality in materials in Q5.

- Q5 back seat moves back and forth (plus reclines and folds as Model X).

- Q5 back seat has a pull-down armrest with drink holders.

- Q5 has a ski passthrough.

- Q5 has a trunk rail system with telescope divider, adjustable cargo hooks, flexible/movable/removable cargo "seatbelt".

- Q5 has a removable trunk cover that rises when opening the trunk (Model X has none).

- Q5 has a cargo net, storage boxes with adjustable dividers under floor and a side cargo net as well as cargo mat that covers folded seating.

Comparing Model S to Audi wagons/hatches, the also have fully adjustable trunk covers, integrated cargo net and "wall" options between the passenger area and the trunk. These are very modular systems often.

This just comparing a mid-level Q5. Front and rear seating comforts in luxury level are of course even bigger in the Germans. And the large SUV/minivan class has even more options in removable/modular seating systems etc.

But Model S and especially Model X are missing a lot on the basic level as well.

Reactions: EVger
If your steering wheel is upside down, changing the volume is the last thing you should be doing. If you want knobs and buttons, go buy a Porsche, they are littered with buttons and knobs.

Porsche has seen the light:). The new Panamera interior has eliminated a lot of knobs in favor of touch screen. Now if they can get that electric concept too, I would consider it

Fit, finish, and materials could certainly use some upgrades along with the list @AnxietyRanger posted. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and touch interface.

My primary request would be to allow some customizable 'quick access' buttons on the home screen. I'd have one for raising/lowering the suspension set to toggle between standard and very high. Another for toggling the steering wheel heater. Another for front window heater. Likely another to rotate through four favorite radio stations.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Reading the comments section below the article, it's nice to see I'm not alone in my critique of tesla's touchscreen obsession.
I happen to love the touch screen and the simplicity of the interior. But that's me.
Now the rest of the interior to me just seems to be missing a certain quality. Not quite plush enough for the cost. Volvo has one of the nicest new interiors on the market today. "Pale colors giving the interior a light, airy feel. " (Stole the description but it is spot on)
It feels luxurious and well thought out. (Sat in one) So hearing Tesla hired Volvo's interior guy was music to my ears. :)

Fit, finish, and materials could certainly use some upgrades along with the list @AnxietyRanger posted. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and touch interface.

My primary request would be to allow some customizable 'quick access' buttons on the home screen. I'd have one for raising/lowering the suspension set to toggle between standard and very high. Another for toggling the steering wheel heater. Another for front window heater. Likely another to rotate through four favorite radio stations.
That is the only thing I miss from my BMW...

• Love
Reactions: Filter
Porsche has seen the light:). The new Panamera interior has eliminated a lot of knobs in favor of touch screen. Now if they can get that electric concept too, I would consider it

I'm not sure Porsche still agrees with the Tesla approach, though. A lot of the knobs have simply been turned into touch buttons that are static. Tesla's approach of completely software buttons for most controls remains quite unique - for better or for worse. I am still not convinced all industry will or should follow suit necessarily. There is room for many kinds of solutions, who knows what is most optimal...