Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hires Apple VP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Tesla hires Apple VP Doug Field to lead vehicle programs, responsible for driving development of new vehicles."

Which naturally leads to some questions. What is 'driving development', and what special expertise does an Apple VP possess when it comes to leading vehicle programs?

- - - Updated - - -

he was VP of Mac hardware engineering

So, 'driving' in the sense of 'making it happen' as opposed to 'operating a vehicle'?

"Tesla hires Apple VP Doug Field to lead vehicle programs, responsible for driving development of new vehicles."

Which naturally leads to some questions. What is 'driving development', and what special expertise does an Apple VP possess when it comes to leading vehicle programs?

Lots- Apple hardware engineering is heavily involved in design and manufacturing- especially very advanced processes and materials

Doug Field was also CTO for Segway previously

- - - Updated - - -

So, 'driving' in the sense of 'making it happen' as opposed to 'operating a vehicle'?

He worked at Ford before.

Field began his career at Ford as a development engineer after graduating MIT,
before moving on to Segway and then to Apple.

"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple," said
Field. "I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but
ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering
challenges elsewhere. As the first high tech auto company in modern history,
Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of
building the best cars in the world--while being part of one of the most
innovative companies in Silicon Valley."

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/24...-engineering-to-lead-new-vehicle-development/

here's another excerpt from AppleInsider with some more details

"Tesla Motors officially announced the hire Thursday afternoon. In his new role at the company, Field will serve as vice president of Vehicle Programs, and will be responsible for driving development of new vehicles.

In taking on the new position, Field has left his role as vice president of Mac Hardware Engineering at Apple. In that role, he oversaw the development of the latest MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac models.

"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple," said Field. "I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere.

"As the first high tech auto company in modern history, Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of building the best cars in the world--while being part of one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley."

The position at Tesla marks a return to the automotive industry for Field, as he began his career as an engineer at Ford Motor Company. Before he joined Apple, he was a chief engineer at Segway.

"Doug has demonstrated the leadership and technical talent to develop and deliver outstanding products, including what are widely considered the best computers in the world," said Elon Musk, co-founder and CEO of Tesla. "Tesla's future depends on engineers who can create the most innovative, technologically advanced vehicles in the world. Doug's experience in both consumer electronics and traditional automotive makes him an important addition to our leadership team."

Field has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and Management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a BS in Mechanical Engineering with highest distinction from Purdue.

"

- - - Updated - - -

According to the press release, he started at Ford, so he has some exposure to car development.

He's also an alumni of the LGO (formerly LFM) program at MIT. Didn't realize that until I saw the statement at the bottom about a MS ME and MBA from MIT and thought - not many people do them separately and there is only one program that lets you do it concurrently.

I'm finishing up my second year there now. Its exciting to see alums killing it out in industry.

Well, hopefully he doesn't bring the staleness of what Apple has become lately........

Disagree and one of the most recent innovations was in his area of responsibility Mac Pro

- - - Updated - - -

LinkedIn shows his job title at Apple as "VP, Product Design". Prior to Apple he was at Segway for 9 years.

Join LinkedIn | LinkedIn

Not just at Segway. As I posted earlier he was CTO

Disagree and one of the most recent innovations was in his area of responsibility Mac Pro

- - - Updated - - -

Not just at Segway. As I posted earlier he was CTO

Indeed, watch this and decide if you think this is "stale" engineering: Apple - Making the all-new Mac Pro - YouTube

I, for one, think that Apple hardware engineering is extraordinary. I think Tesla's with a bit of Mac Pro and iPad Air would be quite fabulous!