Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hires Apple's VP of Product Development to Lead New Vehicle Development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit I am so uninterested in Apple that I cannot even bring myself to check out what the man did but I really don't like the idea of anything Apple impacting Tesla.
I am sure they did it also to flirt with some investors and that the idea is to suggest
the same stock trajectory but it is a turnoff for some or many of us nonetheless.

A 25% margin is OK if one considers it as something that will be reinvested to keep
solid tech advances but with announcements like this, I cannot help but fear there
is a plan to switch to all hype, no substance type products down the road. I hope
I'm wrong.

I admit I am so uninterested in Apple that I cannot even bring myself to check out what the man did but I really don't like the idea of anything Apple impacting Tesla.
I am sure they did it also to flirt with some investors and that the idea is to suggest
the same stock trajectory but it is a turnoff for some or many of us nonetheless.

A 25% margin is OK if one considers it as something that will be reinvested to keep
solid tech advances but with announcements like this, I cannot help but fear there
is a plan to switch to all hype, no substance type products down the road. I hope
I'm wrong.

Apple produces some of the best industrial design in the world as well as winning multiple national and international awards. Apple also has a singular focus on quality, which has been recognized by JD Powers. You generally don't find any superfluous or legacy items in Apple's products, their designs are forward thinking. I'm talking strictly hardware. In this respect, I think this is a great move for Tesla. Hopefully Doug has learned more from Jony Ive and Apple than he did from Ford and Segway! :)

I don't mind solid industrial design. Awards themselves do not mean much, quality issues have been present with their products, etc. Things like hype, non removable batteries, proprietary connectors, locked interfaces, etc spring to mind, so forward looking isn't what I would describe them with. I suppose they produce products for masses while managing to make masses feel a product is unique, which is a great marketing feet, but not impressive for advanced users and I was hoping Tesla would be focused on the advanced part. Again, I understand they like what Apple's stock has achieved and all that but still, meh.. If the man is a good engineer, then there is hope. If it means making Tesla Apple like, it makes a line which will split the potential market to those who will like it and those who won't touch it. I got an Ipad once and regifted with lightning speed :)
Not to mention manufacturing workforce treatment ethics and other stuff I take serious issue with..

I don't have favorite companies myself. Just appreciate few which do good stuff, don't overhype, don't patent troll and stay honest. Hoping Tesla keeps doing a decent job on that in the future also.

Apple produces some of the best industrial design in the world as well as winning multiple national and international awards. Apple also has a singular focus on quality, which has been recognized by JD Powers. You generally don't find any superfluous or legacy items in Apple's products, their designs are forward thinking. I'm talking strictly hardware. In this respect, I think this is a great move for Tesla. Hopefully Doug has learned more from Jony Ive and Apple than he did from Ford and Segway! :)

What makes you think that? Field isn't taking his position...

Personally, I think it's a great hire. Field worked with Dean Kamen, one of my heroes, at DKEA and Segway before coming to Tesla - he's a real engineer through and through.
The OP said "now we know who's going to be designing model e"
I assumed he was a designer of some sort

my mistake!

One could say they are already there Red. Tesla aren't made for lower middle class. It's a premium brand who's stores are ran by one of the guys that designed Apple's store. Tesla certainly isn't the "Windows" of the automobile world they are more aligned with Apple. I don't suspect they'll be any more open than Apple is and proprietary stuff is going to be there. People can knock Apple all they want but in the tech field there really has been a large void. Companies used to innovate but that is no longer unless you think PC with 12 USB ports is something to crow about.

I'd prefer Tesla but true to Tesla and one VP coming in isn't going to change the course that Tesla is irrevocably on.

I don't mind solid industrial design. Awards themselves do not mean much, quality issues have been present with their products, etc. Things like hype, non removable batteries, proprietary connectors, locked interfaces, etc spring to mind, so forward looking isn't what I would describe them with. I suppose they produce products for masses while managing to make masses feel a product is unique, which is a great marketing feet, but not impressive for advanced users and I was hoping Tesla would be focused on the advanced part. Again, I understand they like what Apple's stock has achieved and all that but still, meh.. If the man is a good engineer, then there is hope. If it means making Tesla Apple like, it makes a line which will split the potential market to those who will like it and those who won't touch it. I got an Ipad once and regifted with lightning speed :)
Not to mention manufacturing workforce treatment ethics and other stuff I take serious issue with..

I don't have favorite companies myself. Just appreciate few which do good stuff, don't overhype, don't patent troll and stay honest. Hoping Tesla keeps doing a decent job on that in the future also.