TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Hires Aston Martin's Chief Engineer to become Tesla Engineering VP

Discussion in 'News' started by Curt Renz, May 6, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#1 Curt Renz, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Good choice. Tesla will be successful by hiring best quality engineers. I think that the secret of success for an automaker is quality.

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I don't think it's a secret! :) But in order to attract the best you have to be one of the leaders. Tesla right now is not just one of the leading car companies but the leader when it comes to innovation with no-one in second place.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

logo.gif

May 6, 2013

TESLA HIRES ASTON MARTIN'S VEHICLE ENGINEERING LEADER

CHRIS PORRITT WILL SERVE AS VICE PRESIDENT OF VEHICLE ENGINEERING

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/06/13 -- Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) has hired Aston Martin's Chief Engineer of Vehicle Engineering,
    Chris Porritt, to be its Vice President of Vehicle Engineering. Chris is a world-class leader and automotive engineer who established Aston Martin's Vehicle Engineering team from the ground up and used his innovative approach as Chief Engineer for Aston Martin's One-77 supercar. The One-77 was best known for its advanced structural design combined with cutting edge active suspension and aerodynamics. These combined to make it one of the fastest cars in the world.Chris brings more than 25 years of automotive engineering experience to Tesla. Chris joined Aston Martin in 1997 where he brought the Vehicle Engineering function in-house, establishing vehicle dynamics, NVH and durability and later whole vehicle architecture and vehicle packaging, as well as thermal management, aerodynamics and full vehicle test. Chris's team was the group responsible for the architecture of the VH platform cars including DB9 and V12 Vantage. Prior to Aston Martin, Chris spent 10 years at Land Rover where he began as a college intern and rose to the role of principle engineer in Vehicle Dynamics.

"Tesla is a hardcore technology company, which means that anyone leading a team of engineers must be an outstanding engineer themself, as well as a good leader," said
    Elon Musk, Tesla co-founder and CEO. "Chris demonstrated exactly that in his prior role at Aston Martin, creating in the One-77 what was arguably their best car ever.""I look forward to driving new standards for vehicle engineering innovation in the Model S, Model X and future vehicle lines," Porritt said. "This is an incredible opportunity to bring technologies normally reserved for supercars to the high volume market."
    Chris attended Hatfield Polytechnic north of London earning a Mechanical and Automotive Engineering degree. He later earned a master's degree in Automotive Technology Management from Cranfield University.
    About Tesla
    Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ: TSLA) goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for industry partners. Tesla has delivered over 10,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries.
    Press Contact
    Tesla Motors

5. Soflason

Soflason Member

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That was the point behind hiring DB9 designer Henrik Fisker in the first place. Hire the best of the best.

7. Benz

Benz Active Member

#7 Benz, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    This will turn out to be good for both Chris Porritt and for Tesla Motors as well, as both have vision and want to move forward. Great move.

Here is a YouTube video of Chris Porritt being interviewed in an Aston Martin One-77:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009tfoqc5Ao

Great car indeed

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Certainly good news for Tesla but does anyone know if Chris Porritt's arrival means a reorganization of of the Engineering division?
    Who was considered the head engineer before this and is that person still with Tesla?

9. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I think I read/heard that he's Rawlinson's replacement, so this is long, long overdue. I'm taking it as a sign Tesla's team was looking for a fairly perfect fit. This is the guy that's going to be doing Gen3 which is really where Tesla's ultimate fortunes lie.

11. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

Now let him build a Roadster like the Aston Martin One 77. A design like that will sell fast. Price of a One 77 is 1.2 Million Pounds or $1.86 Million

12. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

You made that thread announcing this 3 days ago. Why is it only being reported widely now?

13. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Tesla didn't make it official and send out a release to the media and investors until an hour before the market close today. Apparently the leaks on Friday were insufficient to inspire full consideration of the positive implications from this man choosing to make a switch from a fully established company to one on the verge of establishing itself.

14. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Bond. James Bond

That is terrific news in the engineering division. So wouldn't it be a fine tie-in if marketing division could snag a product placement coup....and get 007 to drive a Tesla in the next film?:biggrin:

15. Vger

Vger Active Member

I think this is really a fantastic move. Even though I had an early reservation, the thing that really sat me up in my chair and gave me confidence in the engineering greatness of the Model S was Peter Rawlinson's video detailing the powertrain and chassis engineering. I was really worried when he left. But this way of filling that hole in the star-studded team was worth waiting for!

It occurred to me that they have probably been courting him for a while, and it is just possible that the timing of getting him onboard is one reason for the delay in finalizing the Model X. Perhaps Elon wanted, and Chis wanted, for Chris to put his stamp on that before it went out the door. I agree that the Gen III line and the 2nd gen Roadster will be his prime impact, but getting his influence in gear sooner than later may be important too.

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Interesting. That actually makes sense.

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

British secret agent, British car. So, I think not

18. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

My theory is basically along these lines, but more Tesla driven. I don't think Chris Porritt comes over right now unless he is confident there is a new program to actually engineer.

Rawlinson came over because of the chance to engineer a clean sheet Model S platform. And the Model X is just an iteration of that platform.

This is a hire to start work on the next generation platform, which will support the Gen III sedan's to compete with the 3 series, and a new Roadster. He is being hired right now because serious development on the platform is going to start tomorrow. Serious development is starting because Tesla now feels confident that they have the resources to begin, and they convinced Porritt of this as well. There is no mystery involved in why this is happening days before Tesla announces it's first profit.

19. Vger

Vger Active Member

You have inverted my logic a little. I agree that he is coming on now because Tesla has a clear runway now. What I was saying is that perhaps the Model X development was slowed down to allow him to contribute to it.

20. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

He may be part of it, but I think the delay's really about some improved/new battery tech.