TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla hires chip designer - going full custom hardware with Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jan 31, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

"...Tesla this month quietly hired high-profile microprocessor engineer Jim Keller as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering. . . Keller left chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) late last year after leading the team developing the upcoming Zen processor architecture for the past three years. Before that he had a very high-profile role at Apple…
    Keller first worked at AMD in the late 90’s when it was in fierce competition with Intel in the CPU market. He was a key player in the creation of the Athlon K7 architecture, as well as the lead architect of the company’s K8 architecture.
    He left AMD in 1999, but came back in 2012 as ‘Chief Architect of Microprocessor Cores’ after a big role at Apple where he played a major role in developing the Cupertino company’s A4 and A5 processors, which powered most of Apple’s mobile devices from 2010 to 2012."

The chip guru who built Apples Ax microprocessors joins Tesla to lead the Autopilot Hardware Engineering team | Electrek

Anyone who knows more about microprocessor design care to chime in with what this hire indicates?

2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Cool, another reason to buy another Tesla. Loving the autopilot features. This is a huge reason why I am supporting this company. I want the autonomous capability with a cool car (not weird mobile, sorry google) when I am my parent's age. Don't want to be housebound in my 80's and 90's because I cannot drive my car anymore, and dependent on others.