Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hitch mount rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if or when the hitch mounted rack shown at the Model X reveal will be offered? It seemed simple and elegant and I liked that you could open the truck with rack in place.

If not, any recommendations for a ski/bike rack? Looked at the sea sucker system. Might work on one side on roof of FWD, but it's not available currently.

Tesla rack is not yet available and I haven't used the Sea Sucker system so can't comment on that.

On the other hand I have had and tried a number of different hitch mounted systems. Before making any recommendation it would be helpful to know how many bikes you intend to carry and what type.

For instance a lot of mountain bikes and kids bikes do not have a horizontal crossbar and so are not ideal for the the one demonstrated by Tesla at the reveal.

A little more information will probably be helpful, what is your expected use case?

I'm also interested in the Tesla designed rack. I found a Swagman rack that fits a 2" hitch receiver, but I don't know if the back would be able to open using this rack.
51iKcVIUpLL._SY1000_.jpg

If you want to carry mountain bikes, I have yet to see anything more versatile and faster-loading than the Northshore Rack system...:

North Shore Racks

You can pull a pin and tip it backwards to open a hatch or trunk. Hang the bike, pull a cord around the rear wheel... done. No clamps, levers, straps...

The only down-side is that the rack requires a front suspension on the bike to hang properly... road bikes need not apply...

• Informative
Reactions: Festerfeet
If you want to carry mountain bikes, I have yet to see anything more versatile and faster-loading than the Northshore Rack system...:

North Shore Racks

You can pull a pin and tip it backwards to open a hatch or trunk. Hang the bike, pull a cord around the rear wheel... done. No clamps, levers, straps...

The only down-side is that the rack requires a front suspension on the bike to hang properly... road bikes need not apply...
That looks like a great system for mountain bikes, the other one I would consider (have used and thoroughly recommend) is 1UPUSA which is built to last, easy to use and has great advocates.

1UPUSA.com :: Home

I'm also interested in the Tesla designed rack. I found a Swagman rack that fits a 2" hitch receiver, but I don't know if the back would be able to open using this rack.
View attachment 169195
You may not be able to open the back with this model but Swagman also make very similar racks that can tilt away from the back to allow easy access.

Reactions: Patrick0101
That looks like a great system for mountain bikes, the other one I would consider (have used and thoroughly recommend) is 1UPUSA which is built to last, easy to use and has great advocates.

The 1up is well reviewed, but it's also expensive. I've been using a cheap Swagman platform hitch for the last 8 years. 1/3 the cost of the 1up and it's been bulletproof for me. I'd recommend any platform style rack over anything else. The best thing to do is go to either REI or MEC, then you can at least return the rack if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I'm interested in carrying road bikes and mountain bikes (2) and two kids bikes. Also need to haul five pairs of skis.

I'm in the exact same position.

I've looked at both the Yakima and Thule ski rack attachments for bike racks and am so far leaning toward Yakima -- even though it's a very weak compromise and has some serious storage problems. However, if anyone has successfully installed either, I'd really appreciate a review.

In particular, I'm curious as to whether the skis sit far enough back to allow the hatch to open without moving the ski rack.

Hitch mounted ski/snowboard racks are mostly miserable. There is a reason you rarely see anyone use them: once they've been used a few times, they are often on Craig's List. ;-) The rack along with your skis, boards, bindings, etc. will be pummeled with dirt, salt, sand, oil, ice, etc. - pure maintenance hell. They are also large and awkward to store. Anyway, your mileage may vary. ;) Here's to hoping a better solution can be found...

Hitch mounted ski/snowboard racks are mostly miserable. There is a reason you rarely see anyone use them: once they've been used a few times, they are often on Craig's List. ;-) The rack along with your skis, boards, bindings, etc. will be pummeled with dirt, salt, sand, oil, ice, etc. - pure maintenance hell. They are also large and awkward to store. Anyway, your mileage may vary. ;) Here's to hoping a better solution can be found...

I whole-heartedly agree. Ski roof racks are really hard on equipment and hitch solutions will be even worse.

You gotta bag the gear. At a minimum, a binding cover. The surfaces will clean off easily enough, but you want to keep the crud out of the binding mechanism.

Best solution for skis and boards is still the granny box on the roof...

Totally agree here as well. That's why we are currently using a Thule Box. I am considering either getting a sea-sucker (half-width) with a narrow Thule or just finding a way to store the snowboards in the X.

Side note: Elon stated last night the current Model 3 prototype, which is a sedan (with a trunk, not a hatch), can carry a 7' surf board. This isn't possible with the X in any config, as currently designed. (Sigh.)

Not true. I can easily fit my 78" airplane in the X with room to spare in the 6 seat version, 6 more inches with a much flatter profile than my plane would be no problem at all!

I guarantee that the way they will 'fit' a 7' surfboard in the 3 is by sliding it between the two front seats, so a small encroachment into the space between the front seats in the X (<4") will still be better than in the 3. I do like the full folding seats though :)