Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hits emergency vehicle... Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barklikeadog

Jul 13, 2016
PA

Same old story it seems. Vehicle on shoulder, autopilot doesn't recognize... Luckily nobody died.

"While Troopers investigated the collision, the driver of the Tesla claimed that he had the vehicle in 'Auto-Pilot mode' and assumed the vehicle would slow and move over on its own," the state patrol added.

Last edited:

Same old story it seems. Vehicle on shoulder, autopilot doesn't recognize... Luckily nobody died.

wolf wolf.... pay attention. Any car is on autopilot when you are staring at your phone bro.

"While Troopers investigated the collision, the driver of the Tesla claimed that he had the vehicle in 'Auto-Pilot mode' and assumed the vehicle would slow and move over on its own," the state patrol added.
Driver: "Wow! Perfect opportunity to test FSD. Patrol car blocking part of the lane . Let's see what happens" Idiot. JMHO 😫

It was a 2015 Model S. So Mobileye/ AP1 which doesn't do automatic lane changes, only driver initiated.
Tesla Autopilot AP1 vs AP2 vs AP3 - Differences Explained - AutoPilot Review

Why's the cop need to park with a slice of his car in the lane? It seems unnecessary in this situation.

Autopilot is bad at stopping for stationary cars that are partially in the lane. I had a "near-miss" experience with this about a month ago.

better to hit the cop car than the cop.

I don't understand the logic of this, considering if a car hits the patrol car, it'll go flying into the cop.

It would make more sense if the cop car was fully in the lane, with his lights on. Otherwise, having a little slice of his car in the lane is asking for trouble. For example, if a cop pulls over a car to the shoulder, his best bet is to not be in the lane at all.

I don't understand the logic of this, considering if a car hits the patrol car, it'll go flying into the cop.

It would make more sense if the cop car was fully in the lane, with his lights on. Otherwise, having a little slice of his car in the lane is asking for trouble. For example, if a cop pulls over a car to the shoulder, his best bet is to not be in the lane at all.
The logic is the police cruise parked at an angle, if hit, will send the cruiser off the road instead of forward into the broken down vehicle, those occupants, or the officer. People (and drunks) have a tendency to follow tail lights.

It is also meant to influence traffic to move over, giving an officer more space while out of his vehicle.

Amazing that AP didn't pick it up. My 3 year old Range Rover and 5 Year old MB C300 have picked up vehicles partially blocking the lane and slowed down when using 'Radar Cruise Control'. Tesla needs to do better.

Remember that this was a 6 year old vehicle based on the Mobileye system, not a HW2/2.5/3 system based on Tesla's current hardware/software.

Remember that this was a 6 year old vehicle based on the Mobileye system, not a HW2/2.5/3 system based on Tesla's current hardware/software.
Fair enough. I still blame the idiot driver who didn't intervene in time. There is a rule now here in Melbourne (AU) we have to leave 1.5 meters to an emergency vehicle stopped on the road and slow down to 40km/h while we pass them, 3 demerit points and $350 fine for not following that rule.

Reactions: Ciaopec and MP3Mike
At what point does a Mobileye generation vehicle become a driverless robotaxi?
Or will these owners get refunds?
What @MP3Mike said. AP1 was never going to be FSD, nor can it be retrofitted. Traffic aware cruise control and lane keeping/ manually triggered lane changing.

From link in previous post
AP1 Hardware Suite:
  • Front camera (single monochrome)
  • Front radar with range of 525 feet / 160 meters (Bosch Mid-range radar sensor)
  • 12 ultrasonic sensors with 16 ft range / 5 meters
  • Rear camera for driver only (not used in Autopilot)
  • Mobileye EyeQ3 computing platform

Never. And no refund. They were never sold with that as a feature. (At least as far as I can recall.)
Pardon my ignorance, I recall 2015 being the year of autonomous driving being a 'solved problem'
I have often seen discussions of AP1 upgrades.
Didn't know that this was a line in the sand, Musk seemed pretty optimistic back then that those owners would have FSD.