Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hits Pedestrian ‘On Autopilot’ Melbourne Australia.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also just to point out... it wasn't on Navigate on Autopilot cause it was a suburban road. It was on autosteer only.

That said.. still a idiot

Evidently not the best driving track record either: "The court heard that Ms Agrawal, whose driver’s licence had previously been suspended"

Reactions: colin_aus
Wattletree Road, Armadale

1647991632898.png

This is what worries me with it actually being called Autopilot. It's just people are stupid and think oh it looks after everything itself.
Maybe a name change for Autopilot or something that people must do so they know it doesn't take control away from the driver.
I don’t think the name is a problem; aircraft “autopilot” does not take off, land, or steer around obstacles. But I think Tesla needs to better emphasize the limitations of its current features.

This is what worries me with it actually being called Autopilot.
Don't see much wrong with Autopilot.
Cruise control, Autocruise, Autopilot.
CoPilot (BMW), Driver Pilot (Merc)

Selling an incomplete package called FSD is more problematic.

Wattletree/ Edgerton
Looking at the stop on Google Maps it also seems to be just a bench and sign.
No trees or bus shelter to possibly block the drivers (or Autopilots vision).

It's a clearway from 7-9am, so at 6.30am (time of accident) I assume you probably would be able to cruise in the lefthand lane quite easily.

Wonder why pedestrian mitigation didn't detect person and apply emergency brakes?

It may well have, but that won't bring any car to an instantaneous stop.

Think of the case if a pedestrian quickly steps from the footpath into the road when a car doing 60 is 5 metres away. Even with a full emergency braking, the car is still probably going to hit them at 40kph. Of course given the rules in melbourne, the car should have been stationary in the first place.

I don’t think the name is a problem; aircraft “autopilot” does not take off, land, or steer around obstacles. But I think Tesla needs to better emphasize the limitations of its current features.
Commercial Aircraft Autopilot can take off, can auto land, can avoid terrain, can avoid conflict aircraft. I think the problem is incompetent drivers, like you see everyday on the roads, and not just in a Tesla.

Remember that it's the claim of the driver at fault that it was "autopilot", a driver with a *sugar* record that could be trying to shift blame.

Media picks up story because it's sexy and to hell with fact checking, I won't be surprised at all if this comes back completely the drivers and auto pilot wasn't even engaged.

That Murdoch article with words like "Luxury Electric Vehicle" is just designed to dog whistle.

Remember that it's the claim of the driver at fault that it was "autopilot", a driver with a *sugar* record that could be trying to shift blame...

The article says:

"She reportedly told Victoria Police she thought she had more time to slow down before the tram stopped."

It may take some experience to be competent with Autopilot/FSD. Some people would wait to see if the system would brake before they would override it. But by that time it might be too late to avoid collision.

Not only bad drivers would get into Autopilot/FSD accidents because even AI Addict also got into FSD collision and was fired.

Drivers need to have very good reflex to avoid such unfortunate accidents.

Remember that it's the claim of the driver at fault that it was "autopilot", a driver with a *sugar* record that could be trying to shift blame.

Media picks up story because it's sexy and to hell with fact checking, I won't be surprised at all if this comes back completely the drivers and auto pilot wasn't even engaged.

That Murdoch article with words like "Luxury Electric Vehicle" is just designed to dog whistle.
blame shifting is a possibility.... Tesla log would confirm whether or not the AP was activated at the time.

blame shifting is a possibility.... Tesla log would confirm whether or not the AP was activated at the time.

I honestly think it's a combo of her trying to shift blame, that part sounds sexy to the Murdoch goons and they run with it "Automatic Electric Car meant for yuppies hits innocent blue collar Australian... driven by an Immigrant"... okay that's tongue in cheek but you get what I mean

At the bottom of the article it says the Police are asking for any "dashcam" of the indecent. !?
What is that number plate worth?
"the VIN number associated with the '00X' number plates suggests the Model 3 in question is a legal single-motor Standard Range Plus variant"

.... I won't be surprised at all if this comes back completely the drivers and auto pilot wasn't even engaged.
I think this is highly likely. I drove along the same street on my way home today using autosteer, while following a tram. Autosteer kicks out each time you cross an intersection with traffic lights, even if green. Two sets of lights in the previous 500m. This would mean, for it to be active, it must have been activated twice in the past 500m and as recently as 200m prior to the collision. Unlikely that anyone but an enthusiast would routinely drive like this. It is just plain hard work.