Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HK history - summary of essential events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
OK, here is a little history lesson, with certain highlights from the last years:

I put my own deposit down in December 2012, but eventually had to wait 21 months for my (non-signature) Model S right hand drive delivery on September 23rd, 2014. Tesla has their own calendar which doesn't always align with the gregorian calendar:
Just got a call from Tesla HK, no car until End of march 2014...

Delays were several and with very little information. Keeping customers in the loop was never a strong side of Tesla!

So in March 2014, I started tracking orders/deliveries, as you can see in this thread. The image in post #1 was updated over time, but further down in the thread you can see historic images and initially, just a text based list. HK: Model S Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

In May 2014, test drives were scheduled. The wait for Christmas was sprinkled with little things like this - trying the RHD version of the Model S for the first time. It was like going to Disneyland, well, actually, some of the test drives were actually just outside Disneyland ... RHD test drives in May 2014 I went to more than one test drive myself, not to drive but to meet other potential or upcoming owners, as well as chat with Tesla staff. I took the back seat on several test drives and it was fun - especially to see various peoples excitement about this awesome car.

On July 15th, 2014, the launch event of July 23rd was announced - on very short notice. And the RVSP system was in shambles, fortunately we finally (most of us?) got confirmation. Hong Kong Launch Event - this event was the founding of a whatsapp group which since grew in size to over 100 members. 8 Signature Model S were delivered that night.

On September 23rd, 2014, it was finally "Christmas and birthday" for me, for the first time ever on the same day. I was so excited. The first customer to try the ice cream freezer (now gone?), oh it was good back then. Tesla Model S: My first 3 days as owner - and my TMC post #1000 There are many similar posts today, but back then there were only about 50 Model S in HK. Every time we met in traffic we would wave, honk or otherwise get out of the way to see each other. Today, hardly anyone raises an eyebrow when they see a Model S (unless it crashed ...)

November 15th 2014, the first Tesla gathering (by Tesla), I couldn't make it myself but have a look: Tesla gathering, Science Park 15th November 2014

January 25th, 2015, the establishment of charged.hk: 2015-01-25: Planned establishment of "Charged HK" EV Society - as well as meet-up and photos from that event Tesla Meet-up 25-1-15

A good selection of news starting January 2014 and onwards - Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

I made a "wiki" for Tesla owners HK, mainly with short info and links here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hong-kong-faq-index-glossary.38612 - it didn't really catch on or gather much support, though I found it quite useful to have an alphabetic and searchable "index" of relevant items. Find various items you are looking for in that thread, and if you are a member on TMC, you can update it. You can now go directly to this page by bookmarking/typing

tinyurl . com / wikitesla

(remove the spaces)

For all those newer Tesla owners, here is a chance to get a piece of history, in case you wondered what led up to where we are today with about 6,000 Tesla cars in HK

Feel free to add your own anecdotes and links to important TMC threads below ...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: frangus6 and markwj