TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla home battery should theoretically be able to supercharge?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hemants, Oct 1, 2015.

1. hemants

hemants Member

I know it wouldn't be enough to fill from empty but could you not get extremely fast charging rates if you had the right cables?

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

Any battery can theoretically supercharge.

3. m6bigdog

m6bigdog Member

#3 m6bigdog, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    No!
    The Home battery is limited to 2 kW and 5.8 amps continuous. Peak watts/amps is higher but I assume that is not adequate for the time period for charging.
    So 1 is a pretty wimpy charger and it would take (correction) 10 to exceed the HPWC's 20kW charge rate.

The next question, is the PowerWall's battery voltage sufficient to charge the MS battery, i.e. the PowerWall's discharged battery voltage must be higher than the charged MS battery voltage plus some additional voltage for the charge regulator control elements to drive the current transfer.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

actually they updated the output to be 5kW. if you string 9 of them together you could charge at 45kW theoretically I guess...

5. tom66

tom66 Member

HPWC is 20kW maximum, but usually less due to low line voltage. (240V * 80A = 19.2kW, 235V = 18.8kW, etc.)

6. m6bigdog

m6bigdog Member

I stand corrected. The HPWC is 20kW max, with 10kW per charger in the MS. I don't know how I came up with 40? bad brain...

However it would take a lot of PowerWall units at 6-9 amps @ 350-450 volts each to get to the HPWC rating and to get to supercharger capacity, well not very realistic with max capacity ratings of only 63 & 90 kWh with 9 in parallel. Mainly current limited.

Also the PowerWall has its inefficiency rating so you could throw away a lot of kWh's charging one battery with utility AC to charge another battery.
    I would say it is cost prohibitive @ $3-3.5K per unit plus the cost of the DC-DC current regulating EV service equipment and I don't know where you would get that equipment off the shelf.
    IMHO, I anticipate that would cost more than a 8-9kW Solar PV system that is capable of generating enough power to Net-Meter 100% of the electricity for a large home plus charging the MS @ 40-50 miles a day.