TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Home Battery

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mnx, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Rumours have the 10kWh unit at $13,000...

It's a major bummer i was hoping it would be a lot cheaper so it could have some sort of ROI with peak shaving and be a battery backup for when the power goes out as well. I looked at my peak usage over the last 30 days and if I multiply by 12 and calculate the price differential between peak and off peak I'd save somewhere around $160 a year based on current prices.

Maybe I could switch to wholesale pricing or something...

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

Wow.

Is that 13000 Canadian dollars, or real dollars?

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

And equate to a battery cost of $110,500 for the 85kWh of battery in your car.

And I wonder if these batteries will be similar to the one in your car - you would think that a battery for your home could be made cheaper as the energy/weight ratio doesn't matter nearly as much.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Yeah, that pricing is definitely a bummer. I can have a Kohler 14kW NG generator installed for that price. Considering I already arbitrage rates with solar (sell during peak, buy overnight), the only personal benefit I see in the battery is avoiding outages. I'm all for getting one, but that pricing and size wouldn't make sense for me.