Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla home charger button doesn’t open car port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an old thread, the usual cause of this is if the car is asleep, i.e. you've turned off sentry or another setting which would have been keeping the car awake.

The same happens in reverse, if it's plugged in but not charging and enough time has past for it to fall asleep, the button won't unlock the cable either - you have to wake the car by the app or by tapping one of the door handles.

Alternatively, could just be that your button has become faulty.

If I open my car door the screen comes on etc so the car is definitely awake.

If I then press the charger button the charger door does not open.

If I then manually open the door and insert the charger it locks in place. I can then use the button on the charger cable to release the charger so the button can not be faulty.

Are you near a Service centre or a place with a Tesla destination charger so you can eliminate the problem with a charger? Worth a shot
Good idea. Just driven to a local hotel and tried theirs. It works. Drove home and tried mine....It works!!

I’m confused, yesterday it refused to open it but it would unlatch it to remove. I’m sure it’s software related. Never had a problem like this before. If the button works to unlatch the charger cable must be working correctly.

Reactions: davidmc