Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Home Charger Kwh Meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone is interested but I recently installed this meter by my charger, to track my actual Kwh usage. It was fairly easy to do, and cost around $20 on amazon. (Don't pay attention to the 120V, I didn't directly wire it in my 220V line and just ran power from a 120v outlet thats why its says 120v) I hope this helps thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 827
Not sure if anyone is interested but I recently installed this meter by my charger, to track my actual Kwh usage. It was fairly easy to do, and cost around $20 on amazon. (Don't pay attention to the 120V, I didn't directly wire it in my 220V line and just ran power from a 120v outlet thats why its says 120v) I hope this helps thanks.

Cool, but this information is already available on your main information screen in the car :cool:

Maybe you know it but just to point- because you powered it of 120v you should multiply the KW and KWh by 2
I am sorry i think i explained it wrong the power to the meter is coming from the outlet, but Current Transformer (CT) is actually connected to the 240V, 100A line coming from the breaker. It's like a ring that clips onto the 100A line, The Gauge of the wire is too thick to be directly wired to the meter, thats why i chose to wire it to the 120V outlet.

I am sorry i think i explained it wrong the power to the meter is coming from the outlet, but Current Transformer (CT) is actually connected to the 240V, 100A line coming from the breaker. It's like a ring that clips onto the 100A line, The Gauge of the wire is too thick to be directly wired to the meter, thats why i chose to wire it to the 120V outlet.
Wats=amp * volts

So half volts from above = half wats :)

Compare it with the screen in the car

Watts=amp * volts

Exactly.

If you're pulling 47.69 amps from a 240v line, that's actually 11,445 watts (twice what the display reads). The CT can only detect amps, not volts. You need both to calculate watts/kWh.

I use this system from Efergy.com (see: Home of Energy Monitoring | Efergy ) It allows you to monitor energy usage on their website or on your phone with an app, as well as recording and graphing usage over time. There are lots of other systems like this, too. I have the "Elite Hub" kit for online access. The display unit is wireless so you can put it on your desk or table to monitor usage anywhere in the house.

elite engage hub system - home energy gateway

The Efergy system allows you to configure the CTs to the exact voltage running through the line, so the watts and power consumption are accurate. For instance, here's my graph from last May tracking my total consumption (dark green) and solar production (light green). I could even drill down to one week or even one day by hour.

upload_2018-2-13_7-12-0.png

Last edited:
Exactly.

If you're pulling 47.69 amps from a 240v line, that's actually 11,445 watts (twice what the display reads). The CT can only detect amps, not volts. You need both to calculate watts/kWh.

I use this system from Efergy.com (see: Home of Energy Monitoring | Efergy ) It allows you to monitor energy usage on their website or on your phone with an app, as well as recording and graphing usage over time. There are lots of other systems like this, too. I have the "Elite Hub" kit for online access. The display unit is wireless so you can put it on your desk or table to monitor usage anywhere in the house.

elite engage hub system - home energy gateway

The Efergy system allows you to configure the CTs to the exact voltage running through the line, so the watts and power consumption are accurate. For instance, here's my graph from last May tracking my total consumption (dark green) and solar production (light green). I could even drill down to one week or even one day by hour.

View attachment 280099
Great info I will try it out thanks.

Juice Box + from Electric Motor Werks has chargers that keep track of this and an App for your phone. I have an X on order and have been using their 40Watt charger on my daughters Leaf and now I have their 75 Watt charger awaiting my X. I get an E-mail on how much power it has used each time it's finished charging and the web site keeps track of overall usage. Another cool factor is you can utilize one set of wires coming from your main breaker box and the chargers talk to each other and limit their Max Watt draw... Been very happy with their Tech Support and their chargers.

Buy a Residential Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station

Cheers,

Rick