Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Home Storage Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have solar, but I want one of these:

Elon Musk's Tesla set to unveil home storage battery • The Register

For no other reason than the fact that I have installed a Time-of-Use metre. My off peak is from 10pm to 7am. That is at around 1/5 the rate at which I am charged for on peak times being 2pm to 8pm (The other times are called "shoulder period").

Can't see why the battery can't be charged during off-peak 10pm to 7am and then used during peak 2pm-8pm.

I want to order one today.

I'm with you. Hoping that Elon will announce details about that product soon. But I think the utility companies must hate the idea of off-peak grid storage.

That's right. The more they hate it, the more us consumers love it. And vice versa. Bring it on!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you. Hoping that Elon will announce details about that product soon. But I think the utility companies must hate the idea of off-peak grid storage.

Also I hear there are US companies that take advantage of off peak electricty for their air conditioner use. They make huge blocks of ice during the night. Then blow air over them during the peak usage period. Their ice is the Musk battery. I guess Musk declared war on the ice engine in the same way he is now declaring war over ice itself... Ok that was stretched....

There are battery storage systems and the inverters and control software already available. Problem is that in the city it is not economic as yet, although my solar installer told me that battery prices are coming down all the time. My solar panel system was extended last year and i wanted to get such a system and researched and enquired about this option.
Lithium solar batteries are the most expensive type - looked into them also when i needed 600 amp hours for the house batteries on my boat. Nearly double the price of lead acid of whatever flavour!!
The system currently only makes financial sense if you live out on a property and may be liable to contribute to getting the poles and wires out to your land. THAT is cruelly prohibitively expensive.!!
If Musk can get the price down to lead acid levels, then it MAY be a proposition.

I don't have solar, but I want one of these:

Elon Musk's Tesla set to unveil home storage battery • The Register

For no other reason than the fact that I have installed a Time-of-Use metre. My off peak is from 10pm to 7am. That is at around 1/5 the rate at which I am charged for on peak times being 2pm to 8pm (The other times are called "shoulder period").

Can't see why the battery can't be charged during off-peak 10pm to 7am and then used during peak 2pm-8pm.

I want to order one today.

Redflow has one available now. Will be interesting to see how the Tesla price point compares. Once they launch in USA, I'd guess they will deliver to AUS "soon" after......

Copied from BRW: Power generation via solar panels, backed by batteries to store their excess energy, has entered a “five year window” at the end of which it will be cheaper than the conventional electricity grid, says NBN Co director and entrepreneur Simon Hackett.

To read the entire article, click on the link here http://www.brw.com.au/p/tech-gadgets/how_simon_hackett_would_run_the_5Bw8jsvbCiQcJ2GMJ53qiP

There is also a great picture in the article of the two Tesla S vehicles in the background owned by Simon Hackett

Utility retailers are probably a little scared of this, but at the same time it is a huge market opportunity for them, if they can capture the solar + storage + EV + grid backup market through some innovative no payment down, service annuity model.

It's already happening in the US, and I think it will happen here too.

... Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk has been dropping hints for weeks, and yesterday the company told investors and analysts in an e-mail that Tesla will announce the home battery and a “very large” utility-scale battery on April 30.In the e-mail, Jeffrey Evanson, Tesla’s chief of investor relations, said the company “will explain the advantages of our solutions and why past battery options were not compelling.”

Not sure what all that means, but I hope it means that you can buy a big home battery for a lot less....

Last edited:
OK, I watched the presentation... and I still want one! They say they will be available 'this summer'. Does that mean our winter? Ie, a few weeks?

Looks really impressive - cheap too - although the cost of the inverter and installation is extra.

For the moment, I would be interested in charging the batteries from the grid during off peak and using the batteries between 7am and 10pm. But to do that, I am guessing I may need quite a few of them, and then probably need 3 phase to charge them all up in the period between 10pm and 7am. But then I haven't crunched the numbers - just expecting the extreme. Hopefully the salespeople at Tesla will know more in due course...

But I am excited with what I see so far!

Cheers

------------

Ohh that's sad - looks like you can only reserve them off the US website - not the Aussie website. I guess they need to make the necessary changes to produce the RHD batteries ;-) Oh well, time will cure the problem, surely....

Meantime... where did I put that Samsung number...

Last edited:
I don't see the economics of using it to shift load from off peak to peak use. Best case saving is about $0.30 / kWh so you could save $2.10/day for a 7kwh pack assuming no losses and all 7kwh is available. Let's say total installed cost is circa AUD$4.5k would mean a 6 year payback period.

I don't see the economics of using it to shift load from off peak to peak use. Best case saving is about $0.30 / kWh so you could save $2.10/day for a 7kwh pack assuming no losses and all 7kwh is available. Let's say total installed cost is circa AUD$4.5k would mean a 6 year payback period.

Even less than that if you have charged it off peak from the grid (instead of via solar) at say 15c/kWh, its only saved you $1.05/day.

It makes no financial sense unless electricity prices are to rise much further, especialy if there is a large difference between peak and off peak usage.

I guess if we transision more to a renewable grid, this will be the case. I would have thought that a hell of a lot of the grid's night-time troughs would be used up charging a whole fleet of future Tesla vehicles anyway?

On another note, I thought there was only enough Lithium in the world to make a few billion electric cars, let alone billions of kWh of load shifting batteries. Molten salt grid backed storage makes more sense to me, but I'm no expert.

Adam.

Molten salt grid backed storage makes more sense to me, but I'm no expert.

Adam.

Don't forget that it allows grid independence if the grid fails, plenty of people in Sydney/Hunter had no power for days recently, lots in QLD have the same after tropical storms every other year. There are also lots of people who have filled their roofs with solar but get nothing (or little) back from the utility plus loose power if the Grid goes down. Would be useful for rural properties, a lot cheaper than getting poles extended a few Km's.

I agree that this is not the best long term Grid level solution but I don't think I want molten salt in my house at the moment. I also agree it is not economic but neither is rooftop solar for many (without feedin subsidies) but they still do it.

Lets see if/when it gets released here in Aus...

This article A Tesla Powerwall-powered Home: Will it Pay Off? - TESLARATI.com has crunched the numbers and they pretty much accord with yours WA-T3sla

HEY - The Tesla POWERWALL website has changed - and you can now choose your country and reserve (free of charge) your interest in the product. So I reserved my interest.

It says Tesla will contract you when it becomes available in your area.