Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Home Wall Connector - Need Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mobileops

Jun 17, 2021
CT
New to the forum, new to Tesla. Haven't even gotten my Model S, but had the wall connector already installed :)

Electrician did it, install was very straight forward. Turn on the line, wall connector turns on and a single green light is flashing (I presume that means its SSID is broadcasting). On my phone I can see the Tesla wireless ID, I click on it, enter the IP address as instructed, and get into the menu. I confirm the electrical settings, connect my home network (it says connected), and check for new updates and see none. I see the power readings at the top of the menu page, all looks well. When I check the amp setting, 4 green lights light up, corresponding to my 48A connection.

Problem is, when I am done with this step and I shut the phone down, the single green pulsing light never stops pulsing. Nothing changes, it just pulses for what feels like forever, before I shut the circuit down.

I've never connected this to a car, I presume it'll work from a charging standpoint, but I need some advice.

I am using a Netgear Orbi mesh system, Wifi 6, and have great connection strength where the wall charger is.

Help is needed, trying to contact Tesla but making no progress.

Thank you,
Justin Blasberg

When I check the amp setting, 4 green lights light up, corresponding to my 48A connection.
4 green lights should correspond to a 50 amp circuit which is going to allow actual charging at 40 amps. To get 48A actually being delivered during charging, you need a 60A circuit (this should show 5 green lights). This is because EV charging is considered a continuous load and the max continuous load allowed is 80% of the full circuit rating.

I'm not sure if this is the issue affecting you, but one thing you can try is to do the commissioning again and change the circuit setting to something else and then change it back to the correct setting. On older firmware some people were running into an issue where the wall connector was telling them to commission the unit even after they had done so and this turned out to be the fix. I think accepting the default setting, even if it was correct, didn't satisfy the internal checklist to say all steps had been completed, so it would still think it needed to be commissioned. I don't remember them saying the green light was blinking, I think they saw the message in the web U/I, so this may not be the same issue you're facing. But you're also likely to be on different firmware, so there may be new symptoms.

I seem to be having the same issue, new install but don't have a car to plug into yet. I have all the settings completed, it's connected to my home wifi, and it's running the latest firmware. It never seems to stop broadcasting its own WiFi signal, and the green light stays flashing. Tried a factory reset, tried changing the settings to different values, nothing seems to make it think that commissioning is completed.

I think it's fixed now. The latest UI just doesn't give you any good feedback or instructions. There's no setup wizard, and it doesn't confirm when you change settings. Finally I just disconnected my phone and laptop from the self-broadcast SSID, and it did change the status light to a single solid green light several minutes later. It seems as long as any client is connected to the SSID it won't timeout and finish commissioning. Not the best or most intuitive UI for such a simple device, really.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
The latest firmware is 21.18.1, with this update the connector now supports power sharing. It also appears that the connect now broadcasts the SSID continually, perhaps to support power sharing, even If it has not been enabled.

The latest firmware is 21.18.1, with this update the connector now supports power sharing. It also appears that the connect now broadcasts the SSID continually, perhaps to support power sharing, even If it has not been enabled.
So does that mean the pulsing green light could be a normal standby status now?

New to the forum, new to Tesla. Haven't even gotten my Model S, but had the wall connector already installed :)

Electrician did it, install was very straight forward. Turn on the line, wall connector turns on and a single green light is flashing (I presume that means its SSID is broadcasting). On my phone I can see the Tesla wireless ID, I click on it, enter the IP address as instructed, and get into the menu. I confirm the electrical settings, connect my home network (it says connected), and check for new updates and see none. I see the power readings at the top of the menu page, all looks well. When I check the amp setting, 4 green lights light up, corresponding to my 48A connection.

Problem is, when I am done with this step and I shut the phone down, the single green pulsing light never stops pulsing. Nothing changes, it just pulses for what feels like forever, before I shut the circuit down.

I've never connected this to a car, I presume it'll work from a charging standpoint, but I need some advice.

I am using a Netgear Orbi mesh system, Wifi 6, and have great connection strength where the wall charger is.

Help is needed, trying to contact Tesla but making no progress.

Thank you,
Justin Blasberg
I also had to perform the non-electrician part of the installation. I went through the steps but there was never a place to enter the password provided on the QuickStart pamphlet. The lights showed that I’m connected at the correct amperage. The green light is steady solid. Am I all good or is there a problem since I didn’t enter the password?

I also had to perform the non-electrician part of the installation. I went through the steps but there was never a place to enter the password provided on the QuickStart pamphlet. The lights showed that I’m connected at the correct amperage. The green light is steady solid. Am I all good or is there a problem since I didn’t enter the password?
I just went through this last night. I figured it out. Did you update the firmware to 21.?.?

I don’t think it required an update. How would I know which iteration of firmware I’m running. How do you update it if needed? Thanks!

If you log into the Wall Charge the Firmware Version is shown under software. If you are not using sharing then you do not need the update. But if you want it first select Software then choose update. If that does not work read “Offiline Firmware Update” here:

• Helpful
Reactions: TunaBug
If you log into the Wall Charge the Firmware Version is shown under software. If you are not using sharing then you do not need the update. But if you want it first select Software then choose update. If that does not work read “Offiline Firmware Update” here:

Thanks. I'm not sharing, but checked on the update anyway.....apparently my unit is up to date

You need to be on the UI page where you set the amperage level. On that page is says what you current software version is. Are you doing this on an iPhone?
Thanks. I am using an iPhone. My amperage level is set to the correct level an the page says that my software is up to date.

What is confusing to a non-tech person such as me is ---- when commissioning, I am able to connect to the Wall Charger wifi signal. The QR code doesn't work for me, so I enter the alternative way by typing http://192.168.92.1 into the browser. I'm never asked to enter a password and that's what is puzzling me. I'm able to see the the amperage, software update, etc.

Once I disconnect from the Wall Charger wifi, the unit pulses a single green light for 10 minutes or so...then turns solid green.

I don't yet have a car to plug in....(Lord know when that will happen).....so I can't really confirm that I'm fully commissioned and set up to charge.

Is it ok that I never had to enter the password from the pamphlet and does the steady single green light indicate that I'm good to go?

Thanks so much!

Thanks. I am using an iPhone. My amperage level is set to the correct level an the page says that my software is up to date.

What is confusing to a non-tech person such as me is ---- when commissioning, I am able to connect to the Wall Charger wifi signal. The QR code doesn't work for me, so I enter the alternative way by typing http://192.168.92.1 into the browser. I'm never asked to enter a password and that's what is puzzling me. I'm able to see the the amperage, software update, etc.

Once I disconnect from the Wall Charger wifi, the unit pulses a single green light for 10 minutes or so...then turns solid green.

I don't yet have a car to plug in....(Lord know when that will happen).....so I can't really confirm that I'm fully commissioned and set up to charge.

Is it ok that I never had to enter the password from the pamphlet and does the steady single green light indicate that I'm good to go?

Thanks so much!
Do what I did. Go to your local show room and take a test drive. Bring it home and charge it. If it charges you are good to go.

Thanks so much!
Are you using a google browser to access 192...?
Google would not work for me and I had to use DuckDuckGo and then it worked great. We just had two installed and I had to enter the password for both

Reactions: crusader2007
I'm using Safari on iPhone 12.
Was able to scan QR just now with iPad….still didn’t ask for password.

Solid single green light on wall unit. Here‘s screenshot of UI

Attachments

• EB38D072-F311-481C-A577-4032419E18D5.png
    EB38D072-F311-481C-A577-4032419E18D5.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 575