Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

has anybody experience with Tesla's Homelink device?
I was wondering how it behaves if I just want to park in front of my garage without opening it.
Currently, I have Homelink feature integrated into the rearview mirror of my ICE car, but I do need to press a button to open the garage. From what I heard Tesla's Homelink recognizes if the car is close to the receiver and automatically opens the garage door. So, no need to press any buttons, but can I program it for the proximity range? Otherwise, it would always keep opening my garage, even if I don't plan on using it.
Let me know if you have any experience with this device.
Thanks!

I don't have it automatically activate the Homelink when the car approaches because it doesn't know the state of the door, it will just toggle it and I NEVER want to risk it closing on something or someone. However, it automatically expands the device list on the screen so that you only need one touch when you DO want to use it.

I don't have it automatically activate the Homelink when the car approaches because it doesn't know the state of the door, it will just toggle it and I NEVER want to risk it closing on something or someone. However, it automatically expands the device list on the screen so that you only need one touch when you DO want to use it.
Thank you! This explains a lot. I am still not convinced it's any better than my remote for the garage, which works just fine from 100 feet and costs probably 1/10 of the Tesla Homelink :)

Yeah.... with two Teslas, one has to give up the automatic feature. It may not happen often, but one time if one car is sitting in the way of garage door's path, you don't want the other car coming down the street (unseen) and have Homelink trigger the door. Yes, I know the door is supposed to sense an object, but it only picks up something on the pavement surface - if car is sitting halfway out the garage, it won't be picked up.

You set the distance from your garage that it activates(or turn off automatic), there is a warning on screen showing how far until it activates, there is a cancel button if you see the door is already open or whatever, it beeps when it activates, and you can always hit the manual button to toggle back open if it starts to close on something.

Yes to Homelink but a firm NO to automatic activation....virtually guaranteed to have a (quite possibly expensive) issue at some point. I do have my mirrors set to auto-fold upon arrival home which works ~95% of the time; departure with automatic unfolding has a success rate around 30%. Neither of these percentages are high enough (for me) to risk usage of automatic activation of Homelink as the cost of even one error in 100 attempts is prohibitive. YMMV.

I have it auto close and open and it works pretty well most of the time. You can set the proximity. I also have garage sensors so I don't have to worry about the door closing on someone. It will tell you on screen how much further or closer you need to drive before it will actually send the signal to open/close the garage door.

I think that if you don't program the HomeLink to automatically open and/or close the door, why bother to spend the money for it? Just use the remote that came with the opener.
Best to use Siri on my Apple Watch. When I tell it to open my door or close my door it does as I say and nothing else. The garage door opener has no idea if my intentions are to open or close the door, only toggle the current state. Tesla Homelink sadly functions the same way due to Tesla's lazy as hell programmers that do not want to enable Homelink 5 two way communication with capable garage door openers.
Watch the mirror closely in that video... this ICE SUV knows which direction the door is going.

I wish someone would point out to Elon how they have phoned it in with this feature. Tesla has the hardware to query the opener to see if the door is currently opened or closed(local range only). Then any Tesla car can make a logical decision if it needs to open or close the door. But nope, just toggle the door state and drive into the door if it's not as expected.

Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Hub by Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301 - The Home Depot
Works with Honeywell Total Connect 2.0, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Apple HomeKit, Nest, XFINITY Home and more.
$40 to make a garage door a lot smarter.

Homelink 5 is built into the opener.

Last edited:
Thank you! This explains a lot. I am still not convinced it's any better than my remote for the garage, which works just fine from 100 feet and costs probably 1/10 of the Tesla Homelink :)

The batteries in my old remote always used to die when it was raining really hard out.
Never having to worry about the batteries, and the auto-opening option, makes it more than worth it for me.

Reactions: LionXng