Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed the recommendation of attaching a single (long) button remote in the middle of the lower bottom part of the screen, completely out of view, and easily reached below the fan button on the screen. And it worked perfectly for me. I have 3 houses with compatible openers (Chamberlain, Liftmaster, Craftsman, etc), and the same remote works for all 3 openers. I'd never use the 'auto' feature, so it was an easy decision for me. By the way, I used 4 little squares of industrial strength double-sided 3M tape to attach the remote, so I could safely yanked it off if needed, and it's solidly attached. In addition, I don't want a tech messing with my brand new car either. If it was available from the factory, I'd probably have ordered it.

I think that if you don't program the HomeLink to automatically open and/or close the door, why bother to spend the money for it? Just use the remote that came with the opener.

Agree. Had the automatic with the X and always had to check to see if it really worked when leaving, now I just keep the garage door opener on the visor and it's one touch to see it close.

It is more a matter of principle. My first three Teslas had HOMELINK for free, just like the charger with multiple heads was included.
When you are buying a car for above $50k, you shouldn't be nickled and dimed to death and BTW $300 for Homelink is nutz.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
When I hit the remote, I see it going down immediately. Driving away with auto I don't, unless I want to look backwards and hit the neighbors garbage cans during the 10% of the time that the sensors don't work.
My work around for this concern is to set "Auto Close" to off and then I just use the button on the screen to close - pretty close to what you do with your remote. I don't trust auto close either but all the other features of Homelink are worth it for me.

Reactions: h2oAok and LionXng
For the folks that have purchased this from Tesla, was it worthwhile? Would you do it again? I'm contemplating buying this, but would like to know if those who currently own it are pleased. Let me know!
You may want to consider something like Chamberlain MyQ and control it over the internet from your phone/smart watch. You can remotely tell if your door is up or down as well.

My work around for this concern is to set "Auto Close" to off and then I just use the button on the screen to close - pretty close to what you do with your remote. I don't trust auto close either but all the other features of Homelink are worth it for me.

Doing the same thing for $300 less. It's just a matter of how you want to spend your money.

I had the same dilemma when trading my 2018 with Homelink for a 2021 without it. I loved the auto open but never trusted the auto close. Someone in another thread suggested a TailWind add on. It works with your existing opener and WiFi. The beauty of it is that is requires your car and phone (I have an iPhone so I had to add the Bluetooth module to my car). If your car is in the driveway and someone breaks in they cannot open your garage door. It uses geofencing for auto open and can be setup for auto close. It has an actual sensor so it knows if the door is open or closed so I trust it more than Homelink which just sends commands. Didn’t hurt that it was about $50 compared to $300 for the Homelink module and my wife can use it in her car as well.

Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller

Reactions: Fairchild
I followed the recommendation of attaching a single (long) button remote in the middle of the lower bottom part of the screen, completely out of view, and easily reached below the fan button on the screen. And it worked perfectly for me. I have 3 houses with compatible openers (Chamberlain, Liftmaster, Craftsman, etc), and the same remote works for all 3 openers. I'd never use the 'auto' feature, so it was an easy decision for me. By the way, I used 4 little squares of industrial strength double-sided 3M tape to attach the remote, so I could safely yanked it off if needed, and it's solidly attached. In addition, I don't want a tech messing with my brand new car either. If it was available from the factory, I'd probably have ordered it.
Was this a remote that came with your garage door opener, or did you purchase it separately? If so, where? Thanks.

For the folks that have purchased this from Tesla, was it worthwhile? Would you do it again? I'm contemplating buying this, but would like to know if those who currently own it are pleased. Let me know!

had mine installed last month. Totally worth it in my opinion. I like the clean look in the car not having the physical opener on the visor. Has worked flawlessly so far!

Reactions: h2oAok