Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Horn to Get Custom Sounds – Goats, Farts, Coconuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nothing says get out of the way like the sound of farts and goats. 

Soon, Tesla owners will be able to choose from a silly batch of sounds as their car horn and low-speed noisemaker. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk announced the upcoming feature on Twitter. 

In addition to farts and goats, Musk said coconuts will also be a choice – a nod to Musk’s Monty Python fandom. But, those sounds are “just the tip of the iceberg,” he said. 

In 2018, Tesla introduced a “Toilet Humor” app as an Easter Egg. It’s activated by tapping a whoopee cushion icon labeled “Emissions Testing Mode,” which gives Tesla owners the option for “Fart on Demand” and “Fart on Turn Signal.”

Tesla started last month also adding pedestrian sounds to Model 3 to comply with a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulation that requires that all electric vehicles emit artificial noise at low speeds by September 2020.

Musk didn’t give an exact date on when to expect the noisemakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding. I narrowly escaped a rear end collision thanks to phantom breaking, voice command doesn't function at all since 3 software updates ago, wipers go full speed in a mist. Thankful I'm not having issues with fart machine, color book, or games.

And while this kind of nonsense is being added, the hands-free phone calling feature is still hovering in the 1990's and you have to take your eyes off the road to find the tiny icon that [fill in the blank for a given function]. I love driving my Model S, but am madder than a hornet at the missing software upgrades that are meaningful while all this happy horsepucky is announced with great glee.

What part of the phone isn't hand's free? Genuine question. Mine works for calling my contacts without my hands. I have to click to confirm if it can't decide between ~2 however.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Just to confirm (because it's not in the article and the one person to ask about this was just given a sarcastic non-answer): These new sounds only apply to new Teslas that were manufactured starting September 2019 with the hidden pedestrian speakers, right? What about those of us who bought a Model 3 manufactured before 9/2019?

Just to confirm (because it's not in the article and the one person to ask about this was just given a sarcastic non-answer): These new sounds only apply to new Teslas that were manufactured starting September 2019 with the hidden pedestrian speakers, right? What about those of us who bought a Model 3 manufactured before 9/2019?

My MX was built first week last month. You say I have hidden pedestrian speakers? Are these 2020 mandatory warning sounds retroactive?

And while this kind of nonsense is being added, the hands-free phone calling feature is still hovering in the 1990's and you have to take your eyes off the road to find the tiny icon that [fill in the blank for a given function]. I love driving my Model S, but am madder than a hornet at the missing software upgrades that are meaningful while all this happy horsepucky is announced with great glee.

Yeah that, and while they are programming something of substance maybe they could put a couple of game programmers into helping out with the phantom braking problem.

Nothing says get out of the way like the sound of farts and goats. Soon, Tesla owners will be able to choose from a silly batch of sounds as their car horn and low-speed noisemaker. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk announced the upcoming feature on Twitter. In addition to farts and goats, Musk said coconuts...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/10/07/tesla-horn-to-get-custom-sounds-goats-farts-coconuts/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Perhaps a PA function keyed to the cars microphone, so any sound (including nothing) can be rebroadcast including the drivers comments

Many years ago my Mom had a Simca or Renault that had a "country horn" and a "city horn." The country horn was louder and more raucous, and the city horn was quieter and less grating, more like a Roadrunner "beep-beep." I have often wished the Tesla had a "beep-beep" option for when you just want to get someone's attention without giving anyone a heart attack.

I, for one, want a full-on, ear-piercing backup beeper. Not for regular use, mind you. Just for when I'm slowly passing by the neighboring construction zone that ruins my life with their backup beepers all day! That and so I can find the address of those legislators who voted for such nonsense and drive by them at 2am. Revenge is a dish best served LOUD! :p