Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sheamurai

May 8, 2019
North Bay, ON
as much as I like the idea of custom sounds - if the point of the car making noise is to alert people that there is a car coming - if it doesn't sound like a car, how will they know there is a car coming? I person about to cross the road who is vision impaired isn't going to know why the hell they are hearing geese honking and will still step out into traffic. Comical sounds defeat the whole purpose of the intent of adding noise as a Safety Feature.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
What might make everyone happy is an option to use the sound from a user-installed sound file on the dash cam thumb drive.

I don't think that will be allowed or "legal" as you could just put a sound file of silence on there and have no sound at all. I don't think Tesla can support that.

But cutting the wires to the horn, that's out of their control.

kayaker

Jul 24, 2018
HALIFAX
Nothing says get out of the way like the sound of farts and goats. Soon, Tesla owners will be able to choose from a silly batch of sounds as their car horn and low-speed noisemaker. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk announced the upcoming feature on Twitter. In addition to farts and goats, Musk said coconuts...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/10/07/tesla-horn-to-get-custom-sounds-goats-farts-coconuts/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

i hope they add a Canadian option. here, kids playing road hockey just yell "CAR!" and everyone clears out of the way.
message would be received clearly...unlike our corolla hybrid that makes such a creepy spaceship noise I'm tempted to drive slowly on Halloween just to scare the kids..

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
Looks cool, but I'll wait for one built in (automatic) to the car.

That's fine, but you'll have to buy a new car to get it.

I'm also working on a Version 2 that is GPS driven and automatically plays sounds when accelerating or decelerating under a user-selectable speed. Also controllable by remote control, or mobile link. Should be out in a few weeks.

RossRAllen

Sep 10, 2015
St. Helena, CA
200% BS. NAV and Summon in beta on my Model X for almost four years, no info on 12V battery health on Car Status, a miserable Sound Player window I have to punch down every time I start the car, and Tesla is working juvenile crap like this????? Really?

Oh, and the low speed noise thing totally sucks.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
200% BS. NAV and Summon in beta on my Model X for almost four years, no info on 12V battery health on Car Status, a miserable Sound Player window I have to punch down every time I start the car, and Tesla is working juvenile crap like this????? Really?

That's what happens when the CEO has never grown out of being a 14 year old boy. :rolleyes:

dewittbo

Jan 20, 2019
orem, utah
Contrary to most others' opinions here I really dislike this whole idea. Yeah, it's perhaps funny in a juvenile way--but what is it about Elon Musk and flatulence anyway? What releasing news like this to the public does is to make a laughing-stock out of Tesla--which already suffers from so much negative publicity that this doesn't help anything. It was a major topic on a Fox News broadcast the other day--leading to more negative comments by the commentators about Tesla and its inevitable demise because it's not a big-boy competitor in an auto market for grown-ups. To 'main-stream' media it just adds more fodder to the Tesla-bashing mantra in my opinion. I love my Tesla (and my wife loves hers), and it really irritates me to see the company dismissed and made fun of in this way.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nocturnal

hazmax159

Sep 16, 2018
Litchfield Park AZ
I agree with jhoughton1
And while this kind of nonsense is being added, the hands-free phone calling feature is still hovering in the 1990's and you have to take your eyes off the road to find the tiny icon that [fill in the blank for a given function]. I love driving my Model S, but am madder than a hornet at the missing software upgrades that are meaningful while all this happy horsepucky is announced with great glee.

ericem

Feb 26, 2019
Canada
And while this kind of nonsense is being added, the hands-free phone calling feature is still hovering in the 1990's and you have to take your eyes off the road to find the tiny icon that [fill in the blank for a given function]. I love driving my Model S, but am madder than a hornet at the missing software upgrades that are meaningful while all this happy horsepucky is announced with great glee.

you do not have to take your eyes off the road with a model s or x. Just set your Right scroll wheel to recent calls and look at your screen ahead or use voice command. Jeeez

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC