Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla House / trailer home / travel trailer / RV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
It seems possible that this is on Elon's "to do" list.

Fred suggested it following the Joe Rogan interview:
https://electrek.co/2018/09/07/tesla-smart-home-elon-musk-efficient-air-conditioning/

Some ideas:

Need/opportunity
Housing shortage in many countries
Entire industry remains mostly in the dark ages
Millennials will want to live in a more mobile way
Elon needs homes near Gigafactories - GF1 already has the requirement
Musk School / hyper loop / boring tunnel / Supercharger location / roller skate and rock burger restaurant could start to support a community
Tesla already is buying up swathes of land for various reasons
Bigger industry than Automotive
Supports the Tesla mission
Preppers will buy for various reasons including bioweapon defence mode

Construction
Could automotive steel robot built walls & insulation work? (alien dreadnought built)
Boring company bricks doesn't feel right to me
Use plenty of glass - Tesla know how
Tesla Solar Roof

Systems
Tesla Powerpack
Model Y style electrical flexi harness
Tesla air con / purifier / heater
If RV - FSD
Alexa style Tesla AI concierge control system built in (plus Tesla screen with Atari games etc.) - read across from automotive to control lights and order pizza
Starlink comms

Great post on the main thread:
With Elon's comments on a Tesla HVAC plus HEPA filter, plus possible water filtration product, has anyone kept track of all the Tesla Home products they appear to be working on?

Soon enough, I think it may be worth fitting all these pieces together into a full Tesla smart home with extremely high energy efficiency, mass produced building components and far lower construction cost.

1. HVAC heat pump + HEPA filter + Water filtration

2. Whole-House Energy Management System
"Tesla Developing A Scalable Whole-House Energy Management System: New Grid Controller Manages Production, Storage, & Consumption" Tesla locked in a new patent for a distributed electrical grid management system, with capability to control everything from massive grid-scale energy storage installations down to your washing machine to keep everything humming along nicely. Tesla Steps Into The Utility Space With New Grid Controller Patent | CleanTechnica

3. Solar Roof

4. Powerwall

5. EV Charger

6. Lighting systems?
View attachment 525076

On the water filtration system, has anyone any idea how much water the HVAC could produce? I doubt it, but could it actually be possible for Tesla to make a fully off grid house product with no mains water or electricity?

Elon: "Could maybe tap the condensation for water too. Seems odd that HVAC systems make pure, fresh water & just dump it on the ground."

Personally hoping for a super-efficient residential Tesla heat pump based off of the octovalve (my home electricity usage triples in the winter due to an old SEER 12 heat pump)... But I did a quick search for that Lighting Systems job posting, and it seems to be for vehicles: https://www.tesla.com/careers/job/sr-mechanicaldesignengineer-lightingsystems-54367

"You will be reporting to the Engineering Manager of Vehicle Lighting Systems within Vehicle Engineering. ... Engineer, develop and execute world-class automotive lamp systems that meet styling intent and are compliant to regulatory requirements.'

Tesla Semi campervan concept: introducing the Vanlifer Semi-Home

A bonafide camper company actually thinking about it.
This looks like my Vixen 21TD motorhome, 1986.

history-Vixen_21_Turbo_Diesel-floorplan.gif

21 ft. long, x 8' wide, 6'-2" H, 7'-4" w/top up. 28mpg - diesel.

1987-vixen-motorhome-21-td-a01.jpg

From @printf42 :
Did I mention I think Tesla should get into pre-fab home business?

It’s a major portion of total energy usage, so very compatible with Tesla’s (current) mission.

And Tesla got many components already, solar roof, power wall, steel exoskeleton frame, glass, insulation, noise damping, HVAC, lighting, seating, entertainment, …

Maybe they can start with the CyberCamper and expand to ADU then full on houses.

At that point the mission can be updated again.
“Accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable resource.”

It’s very possible Elon choose to live in a pre-fab studio for research. Even if it’s not true, the time he spent improving it should have planted a seed in his mind.

Reactions: RabidYak