Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC Charging at Very Slow Rate

Did the developer supply insufficient power?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The power to the outlet will be limited if air conditioning to the condo is on.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Crowd sourcing here...Any help will be most appreciated.

I just moved into new condo where I have a deeded dedicated spot that by contract is to have a Level 2 240 V 40 Amp outlet. I had my electrician install the HPWC (The black one that has Elon's signature on it. It's about 2 years old but was new and right out of the box - received as a referral reward). At my old condo, where I still can charge as I have yet to rent the condo, I can charge via the 240 outlet at about 19m/hr. At my new place with the newly installed HPWC I am IMG_3392 2.jpeg IMG_3392 2.jpeg only charging at a rate of 7 mi/hour and as soon as I log in via the app it drops to 6mi/hr.

The Tesla Touchscreen Display won't let me go higher than 12 A when plugged in. When not plugged in, I can adjust that to 40 Amps.

Of Note: The charger is directly wired to the electrical panel in my condo (9th floor) and there is a dedicated 40 A breaker.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sounds like maybe the dip switch inside the HPWC wasn't set to the proper setting to reflect your breaker size, so it's defaulting to a safe (very low) 12A.
agree. That was also my first thought. The dip switch likely was not properly set when the HPWC was installed. If it is on a 40 amp breaker, then the dip switch needs to be set to 32 amps max.

Reactions: doghousePVD