TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla HPWC Only Charging Model 3 at 24A on a 60A Circuit

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by zoiks66, Jul 17, 2018.

1. zoiks66

zoiks66 Member

I had a Tesla HPWC installed on a newly run 60 amp circuit a couple weeks ago. The licensed electrician that did the install is listed on Tesla’s website as a recommended installer, and he said he’s installed many of them.

Today I rented a Model 3 through Turo as I wait for my AWD Model 3 to be delivered. The rented Model 3 was a little below 50% battery charge and set to charge at 48A via the car’s touch screen. However, the charge rate immediately drops to 24A when I plug in the charge connector, and it stays at 24A. Before I call the electrician and ask him to come back and check his installation, is there anything simple that could be causing this issue? I checked with the owner I rented the car from, and he said it charges at 48A with no issues at his house with his HPWC.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Check the dial settings internally it’s a common miss on these installs

• Like x 3
  3. zoiks66

zoiks66 Member

Thanks a lot for the tip. I took the covers off the HPWC, and it was set for a 30A circuit like you suspected. I moved the rotary dial to the position for a 60A circuit, and the Model 3 is now charging at 48A.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  4. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Wow, that is a *massive* miss for an installer who is supposed to be Tesla recommended. As far as electricians tasks are concerned, installing a HPWC is REALLY pretty simple. I guess the dip switch is an added setting that perhaps they don't normally have to do with most appliances they install, but come on people... Read the instructions! ;-)

Glad it was an easy fix! You will love your Model 3!

• Love x 1
  5. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

thanks to threads like these, i made sure the dial was set correctly when my electrician did my install.

• Love x 2
  6. zoiks66

zoiks66 Member

The sad thing is that I asked him if he had set the dial for 60A, and he said he had.

7. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

ha.. i bugged my guy so much that when it was time to set the dial, he had me come over and verify it was right based on the chart in the owners manual.

• Like x 1