Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Tesla pwned themselves this time. By "saving money" and "cutting costs", they chose to put a weaksauce, slow, wimpy, teeny tiny little 32 amp charger in the base 3, and an ok-but-not-much-better 48 amp in the big battery 3's.

Every single 3 ever made, big battery or not, should have the full size 72 amp Model S charger, or even the old style 80 amp dual chargers.

And here is why.

HPWC sales, $550 each. There is absolutely no reason for 455,000 3 owners to buy an HPWC now, a NEMA 14-50 is enough (Ok, I know the 48 amp charger could use the HPWC a little, but there's not $550 worth of gain).

So Tesla, are you happy now? I know not everyone would have bought an HPWC for their 3, but if only TEN PERCENT did, that is 25 million in lost sales. You could have had it. You wanted to cheap out on us with pathetic chargers. Good job.

A spare UMC costs the same (about) as an HPWC which can also use any size circuit. It's all about do you want something permanently connected or not and/or do you want to leave the 'included' UMC in the car in case of need or have another one plugged to a 14-50 (the CMC with the 14-50 plug).

All up to your preferences. Me, I have two HPWCs because they can share one circuit and work with cars with the larger chargers. But your charger(s) may vary.

Reactions: Alketi
Tesla pwned themselves this time. By "saving money" and "cutting costs", they chose to put a weaksauce, slow, wimpy, teeny tiny little 32 amp charger in the base 3, and an ok-but-not-much-better 48 amp in the big battery 3's.

Every single 3 ever made, big battery or not, should have the full size 72 amp Model S charger, or even the old style 80 amp dual chargers.

And here is why.

HPWC sales, $550 each. There is absolutely no reason for 455,000 3 owners to buy an HPWC now, a NEMA 14-50 is enough (Ok, I know the 48 amp charger could use the HPWC a little, but there's not $550 worth of gain).

So Tesla, are you happy now? I know not everyone would have bought an HPWC for their 3, but if only TEN PERCENT did, that is 25 million in lost sales. You could have had it. You wanted to cheap out on us with pathetic chargers. Good job.
do you actually own a tesla? of is this just ill informed hyperbole?

a good many of the model S on the road do NOT have 80 amp chargers, myself included. for most needs this is adequate, as for base model 3, I'm willing to bet that not too many of those will be built or sold.

Timk225, after Tesla staff reads your post I'll bet they will really feel dumb. They should hire you and pay you big bucks.

They should. I've pointed out several major problems in the 3 design and offered ways to correct them, but they aren't listening to me here on the forums.

And SO WHAT if the big charger is not absolutely needed? 'MERICA! More bigger better faster just because!!!

Attachments

• 'Merica.png
    'Merica.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 110
I have two HPWCs but still recommend 14-50s to new owners unless they have a specific need. I am guessing Tesla has 5 year of charging data to determine what folks actually use, so this is probably a pretty safe decision for them. Plus, if someone really needs a 4 hour recharge on a regular basis, it becomes an up sell opportunity to an S or X.

Reactions: Brando and Akikiki

And here is why.

Our model x has the 48 amp charger. We charge at 32 amps currently.

We are starting on some major renovations soon, and plan to install 2 or 3 hpwc, either on dedicated 60amp, or shared 100 amp, plus a 14-50 with j1772.

Our model 3 will be either option and has no impact on our choice to install hpwc.

Harry

Since the Model 3, production cost is more of an issue (with Tesla anyway), I see this decision as a move to keep the MSRP low.

I suppose that the "next model year" Model 3 could get an upgrade to a 40, 50, 1000 (whatever) amp charger, or maybe offer it as an option, once Tesla decides to go hog-wild with the options list.

- - -
And as long as I'm at it, I'm sure that there is a l-o-n-g list of goodies that people will consider must-haves, but aren't available right now. But that doesn't mean that the future won't bring more colors, fancy wheels, sunroof, more cup holders, and 8-track tape deck.

-- Ardie
Buying a 150 amp Hi-Power Wall Charger ain't gonna be cheap, either.

What do you propose Tesla eliminate from the base model 3 in order to install a more expensive 72A charger and still keep the price at $35,000?

By the way I have never needed faster home charging than my 14-50 provides. People installling HPWCs at home are almost always doing it for looks or for a misguided notion that they always need to have the UMC with them in the car, not for faster home charging.

If one comes home with a low battery and then needs a quick turnaround for a long drive, you could always just charge enough to get you to the nearest supercharger near the route, then top off quickly from there. In the long run it would probably be faster than trying to charge all the way up at home even with the 48amp charger. *shrug*

I wouldn't complain if all Model 3s had a 72 amp charger, but it's clearly understandable (they need to make money on the car to survive) as well as other compromises why they did not.

You can get some pretty nice CPO Model Ses for nearly the same price now! ;)

The pitiful 12amp charger in my Volt is sufficient 90% of the time, but if I wanted something to gripe about....

If one comes home with a low battery and then needs a quick turnaround for a long drive, you could always just charge enough to get you to the nearest supercharger near the route, then top off quickly from there. In the long run it would probably be faster than trying to charge all the way up at home even with the 48amp charger. *shrug*

California is NOT reality. ;)