Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And SO WHAT if the big charger is not absolutely needed? 'MERICA! More bigger better faster just because!!!

You can pick apart every little decision that Tesla made and say they should have gone "More bigger better faster just because!!!". The 72 amp charger might be important to you, but someone else may wish that Tesla hadn't skimped on something else. Tesla had to make tough decisions about every feature on the Model 3 to keep the cost down. Lots of what seem like small improvements add up quickly. Pretty soon the Model 3 would be priced the same or more than the Model S.

If a 72 amp charger is that important to you get a Model S. If there is high enough demand for this on the Model 3 I'm sure Tesla will add this as an option later.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna and bonnie
California is NOT reality. ;)
Maybe not, but here's my current situation (see what I did there?):
  • I live in a very small town up on a bluff, along the Columbia River Gorge (meaning, NOT California)
  • Typical trip is into Portland once or twice a week - 140 miles roundtrip.
  • Nearest supercharger is 20 miles away, in the opposite direction of where I usually head.
  • I have an X and right now, am in a rental house (moving shortly). The only charging that has been available to me since January has been a TT-30 outlet, coupled with an adapter. That's 120V, 30amp. 9mph on a good day.
  • And that is enough. I do know there is a CHAdeMO across the river (about 4 miles away) and also a Destination Charger about 20 m away.
  • I have yet to use those options. (Now let's talk about Roadster roadtrips! :) )
My only point is that there are options, California or not.

If one comes home with a low battery and then needs a quick turnaround for a long drive

About once every two months I find it useful to charge at 80 amps and I'm glad for the ability to do so.

And you never know when you might need to make an unexpected long trip with no supercharger en route.

For those reasons I keep my car charged at 90% all the time including as soon as when I get home I know it's not ideal theoretically for battery longevity but I'm lowering my risk for being caught at 0% or having to take an Uber.

But not knowing the marginal supply cost of the different chargers I can't criticize Tesla's decision but I would speculate that the supply cost difference is significant and this was probably a good trade-off that they made.

4 years this week of owning my Model S and never needed more than the 14-50 outlet (other than superchargers on long trips). That is not to say faster garage charging isn't beneficial in some cases, but I haven't found that case yet. For the masses, driving 50 to 100 miles per day, the 32 amp charger would be fine with a 2 to 4 hour per night charge time.

Reactions: bonnie
We've owned a Tesla (P85, then P85D) for over 4 years now and put over 100,000 miles on the two cars. We've had the NEMA 14-50 at home and in those 4 years and 100,000 miles, we've never had a second thought about the setup. We use superchargers quite a bit for our frequent longer trips and an overnight charge at 28 or so miles per hour has always been more than sufficient for non-road trip situations.

Reactions: cwerdna and bonnie
Two Teslas. S and X, with 40Amp, and 48Amp chargers respectively.

14-30 (that's right, not even a 14-50) charger at home. We've never had a problem regarding charging.

As for destination charging, the X with the 48Amp is great (HPWC). We haven't taken the S on long distance routes.

Model 3 chargers will be fine.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Here's a list of all the threads you started. I am thinking we need to campaign Elon to track you down and ban you from being able to purchase a Mode 3 because it's such a $hitty car.

Is your next thread going to be:

"Elon lied about the Model 3 being a spaceship. 0-60 in 5.1 not fast enough to escape Earth's gravity".

upload_2017-8-5_12-42-42.png

A spare UMC costs the same (about) as an HPWC which can also use any size circuit. It's all about do you want something permanently connected or not and/or do you want to leave the 'included' UMC in the car in case of need or have another one plugged to a 14-50 (the CMC with the 14-50 plug).

All up to your preferences. Me, I have two HPWCs because they can share one circuit and work with cars with the larger chargers. But your charger(s) may vary.

Do people ever really use their UMC for unplanned charging? 120v charging is useless, and I just don't see much opportunity for finding random NEMA 14-50 outlets (except for RV parks). Basically all public charging is provided by J1772 (or Chademo/CCS). I've never felt the need to bring my UMC with me in the car, it's pretty much permanently attached to the 14-50 outlet in my garage.

Do people ever really use their UMC for unplanned charging? 120v charging is useless, and I just don't see much opportunity for finding random NEMA 14-50 outlets (except for RV parks). Basically all public charging is provided by J1772 (or Chademo/CCS). I've never felt the need to bring my UMC with me in the car, it's pretty much permanently attached to the 14-50 outlet in my garage.
If you go somewhere there is no EV charging (like a house where you need to use a dryer outlet, etc.), then you definitely need the UMC. Perhaps not around home base, but on vacations with a home rental, or to friends and there isn't a Supercharger around or a destination charger available, I'd say definitely.

It's all up to how much you want to plan ahead and how much spare hardware you want to have. :D

Reactions: teddytoons

When we were moving, our old house had the 14-50 and the new one 14-30. We left the charger plugged in at the old house and carried an extra UMC for the occasional charge at the new house. Now that we are back to one house, we don't use it much.

That being said, the last road trip we took with our X, we did use the UMC, with the 5-15 plug (110-120V) to top off our X prior to our return trip. We had a garage at our destination with a standard plug. Plugged in overnight and got around 30 miles to be 100% in the morning (the closest supercharger was around 20-30 miles away so we charged there first, then topped off with the UMC). Very convenient.

14-50 typically @ 20a overnight for the miles I drive. My take is that 20a to 80% is better for the battery (primarily due to lower heat). Can always ratchet it up to 40a if I need a faster charge, but it's been fine so far.

I bring mine along on any long-distance trip - I've spent the night at friends' homes with no other charging available, outside of 120v. Every little bit helps. The cable won't do me any good at home. :)

They should. I've pointed out several major problems in the 3 design and offered ways to correct them, but they aren't listening to me here on the forums.

And SO WHAT if the big charger is not absolutely needed? 'MERICA! More bigger better faster just because!!!

Please go to the Tesla web site and apply for a job there: Jobs at Tesla | Tesla

If you are truly concerned about Tesla design problems and are a great automotive design professional, working at Tesla will be a much faster and more effective path to solving the issues you see, compared to posting numerous threads at TMC.

Please go to the Tesla web site and apply for a job there: Jobs at Tesla | Tesla

If you are truly concerned about Tesla design problems and are a great automotive design professional, working at Tesla will be a much faster and more effective path to solving the issues you see, compared to posting numerous threads at TMC.
Yes, but that path would require actually doing something. 'Murica!