Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from a Leaf with a 16a charger I'd be happy to have 32a. Wanna know what Nissan did to cheap out? They put a 27.5a charger in the so called 6.6KW leafs.

Just to put that in line:

16a Leaf 3.x Charger
27.5a Leaf 6.x Charger
32a Tesla Model 3 7.x Charger

There aren't many cars on the market that charge faster than 32a on 240v and I think Tesla makes all of them.

I feel that Tesla is in effect punishing people who get the small battery by giving them only a 32 amp charger. They got the small battery, so that means they will never have a situation where they need to stop at home, charge up 50 miles, and go somewhere else very soon?

I found a solution to your problem. Simply use the remaining 170-260 miles on your car's battery that magically appears every morning.

You're driving a Tesla, not a Leaf. They've already solved this "problem".

If you seriously are in a situation where you regularly need that fast of home charging every single day, buy a Model S. The gas and maintenance savings alone would pay for your car within a few years thanks to your apparent 200-300k+ mile a year driving style.

Reactions: Dax279 and cwerdna
To the OP, before you can make that conclusion you need to have a realistic cost difference between the onboard 72A and 42A chargers.
Don't forget to include the reduced cost of cabling in the car and the increased longevity of the batteries when charged at 42A vs 72A.
Once you have added that up, compare it with the profit Tesla makes on each HPWC.

I suspect Tesla has improved their profit by having a max 42A charger in the smaller battery cars.

As an aside, I will throw my hat in the ring and join the others that have never had a HPWC for either our X or S. The maximum we typically charge at is 30A.

Nah.
Use a SC en-route

What I can't fathom is I have a 60 mile round trip commute every day, and I will RARELY return home with less than 50% SOC.
Who would be showing up at home with a low SOC only to need to make an unexpected 100+ mile drive and not be able to charge up fast enough?

I had a tree fall on and render inoperable BOTH of our vehicles a couple of months back- darned inconvenient but not something I'm going to spend much time worrying about into the future.

Reactions: SageBrush
Coming from a Leaf with a 16a charger I'd be happy to have 32a. Wanna know what Nissan did to cheap out? They put a 27.5a charger in the so called 6.6KW leafs.

Just to put that in line:

16a Leaf 3.x Charger
27.5a Leaf 6.x Charger
32a Tesla Model 3 7.x Charger

There aren't many cars on the market that charge faster than 32a on 240v and I think Tesla makes all of them.
FWIW, even though the supply voltage on my work's L2 EVSE is supposedly only 208 volts (having talked to Chargepoint techs years ago), it seems like my "6.6 kW" Leaf tends to pull 5.9 to 6.0 kW from the wall but can range from 5.7 to 6.2 kW, depending on random factors and the station. Certain ones seem lower than others, possibly due to voltage drop at those locations. 208 volts is apparently common in commercial power in the US.

208 * 27.5 amps = 5,720 watts

Seems like the Leaf's "6.6 kW" OBC can go up to 30 amps at lower voltage. If line voltage really is 208 volts, 208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts.

All our Chargepoint stations are rated at 30 amps per handle. The Teslas I plug into the Chargepoint stations at work tend to max out a ~6.2 kW. I asked one Model S driver at work that plugged in and she could from her Tesla app see the voltage and said it was pretty close to 208 volts. It was definitely NOT 240 volts or near it.

Agreed on the latter... or rather, Tesla makes them or the vehicles are Tesla-powered (e.g. Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED).

Last edited:
What do you propose Tesla eliminate from the base model 3 in order to install a more expensive 72A charger and still keep the price at $35,000?

By the way I have never needed faster home charging than my 14-50 provides. People installling HPWCs at home are almost always doing it for looks or for a misguided notion that they always need to have the UMC with them in the car, not for faster home charging.

32 amps would be a non starter for me. I often have to leave on weekend trips after driving my 126 mile commute home. Being able to charge at 80 amps means I can charge from 35% to 90% in just under 2.5 hours before heading up to my vacation home in Pinecrest. Charging at 32 amps wouldn't make that a 6 hour charge.

32 amps would be a non starter for me. I often have to leave on weekend trips after driving my 126 mile commute home. Being able to charge at 80 amps means I can charge from 35% to 90% in just under 2.5 hours before heading up to my vacation home in Pinecrest. Charging at 32 amps wouldn't make that a 6 hour charge.

With a driving pattern like that, would you buy the 220 mile range car, or the 310 (even if both had the bigger onboard charger)?

There's a $200 difference between a 32AMP and a 48AMP charger sold by clipper creek.

Even if it were $20 so what? You can buy the longer range version if you want it so badly. Or don't buy the Model 3 at all.

Care to share what your specific credentials are in IT? I'm ready to make a fool out of you there as well.

I know squat about chargers so bear with me. Tesla's wall charger is around $500. Clipper Creek and JuiceBox are far more expensive. The Tesla unit can be set up to kick out up to 80 amps for that cost.

Also...what the heck does 14-50 mean? What webpage could I go to to get up to speed on all this electrical charging stuff. Thanks

There is nothing wrong with 32 amp charging for >99% of American commuters. That would give you over 200 miles if you sleep 8 hours and can only charge at home and only while sleeping.

In your situation, your problem has nothing to do with amps actually, it's life decisions.
  • You live too far from work.
  • You purchased a Phillips screwdriver to remove slotted screws.
Waiting 2.5h for a charge is nuts. Pony up and get a SuperCharger or CHAdeMO installed at your home. Or use ICE technology. Or have 2 EVs. One is always charging, like you do with electric forklifts.

But thinking that there are more than a small handful of people in your situation is not true. Very few people are willing to spend that much of their lives commuting and then waiting to commute some more.

Yep.

EV-lution can take a look at pages 20 and 21 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439 from Installation Manuals - Wall Connector. Older (high power) wall connectors had DIP switches to set the max output instead of a dial.

BTW, some of scaesare's numbers are off by a bit, but they're all close enough and usually within 0.5 to 1.0 kW. I was surprised to see the Smart ForTwo ED having 7.x kW OBC, but 2017 electric drive smart car | smart USA confirms it for gen 2. I'm pretty sure the gen 1 was only 3.3 kW.

Thanks for the updates in your subsequent post. My #'s were from some quick googling... I was primarily looking for anything that beat the Model 3.

What I can't fathom is I have a 60 mile round trip commute every day, and I will RARELY return home with less than 50% SOC.
Who would be showing up at home with a low SOC only to need to make an unexpected 100+ mile drive and not be able to charge up fast enough?

I had a tree fall on and render inoperable BOTH of our vehicles a couple of months back- darned inconvenient but not something I'm going to spend much time worrying about into the future.

Still, I think you should really get that fixed.

FWIW, even though the supply voltage on my work's L2 EVSE is supposedly only 208 volts (having talked to Chargepoint techs years ago), it seems like my "6.6 kW" Leaf tends to pull 5.9 to 6.0 kW from the wall but can range from 5.7 to 6.2 kW, depending on random factors and the station. Certain ones seem lower than others, possibly due to voltage drop at those locations. 208 volts is apparently common in commercial power in the US.

208 * 27.5 amps = 5,720 watts

Seems like the Leaf's "6.6 kW" OBC can go up to 30 amps at lower voltage. If line voltage really is 208 volts, 208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts.

All our Chargepoint stations are rated at 30 amps per handle. The Teslas I plug into the Chargepoint stations at work tend to max out a ~6.2 kW. I asked one Model S driver at work that plugged in and she could from her Tesla app see the voltage and said it was pretty close to 208 volts. It was definitely NOT 240 volts or near it.

Agreed on the latter... or rather, Tesla makes them or the vehicles are Tesla-powered (e.g. Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED).

We have a NEMA 14-50 at work fed by 208 as well. The voltage drop there is pretty significant... it's not uncommon for me to see ~197 volts on it....

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Do I read that correctly as 126 miles one way ?

I'd assume the standard range car wouldn't suffice for your needs anyway...