Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla heat pump / HVAC (non auto)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing Tesla HVAC is introduced this year, with installations starting next year.

California Is Closing the Door to Gas in New Homes

"We are really ratcheting up the efficiency across the board," agency Commissioner Andrew McAllister said in an interview. "We anticipate that we'll be providing incentives for the market to scale up its adoption of heat pumps."

'Even San Francisco-based utility Pacific Gas and Electric Co., which has 5 million customers, said that it supports "local government policies that promote all-electric new construction."

Reactions: cgell
Key is "Climate scientists say that rising production of natural gas "
I agree. But burning it for HEAT does not result in rising production.
Burning it to get power to run AC does due to well-to-wheel efficiency.

Everything has a place. Oil has place for plastics. Gas has place for heat.
Even peaker plants that are hardly ever used but are very important for green grid.
Just stop burning everything to get dirt-cheap electricity.

Reactions: phantasms
Hi @FrankSG - you mentioned HVAC not being a huge TAM in your blog:
My Tesla Investment Thesis 3: The Complete 2021 TSLA Investing Guide
I think that the report is mostly looking at the existing air conditioner and heat pumps markets. What they are missing I think is the heating aspect. UK for instance is trying to outlaw gas boilers that most brits use. Huge TAM, huge impact on climate.

• Informative
Reactions: FrankSG
Hi @FrankSG - you mentioned HVAC not being a huge TAM in your blog:
My Tesla Investment Thesis 3: The Complete 2021 TSLA Investing Guide
I think that the report is mostly looking at the existing air conditioner and heat pumps markets. What they are missing I think is the heating aspect. UK for instance is trying to outlaw gas boilers that most brits use. Huge TAM, huge impact on climate.

Thanks for letting me know. Somebody else mentioned geothermal HVAC to me. I'll keep these things in mind for the future.

Reactions: Buckminster
My understanding is Tesla's business case with home heating/air conditioning/refrigeration/water heating is largely based on increasing overall home efficiency by integrating the systems and also increasing the speed of adoption by driving down costs and making system design and availability easier. Kind of a one-stop solution for design, purchase and installation.

For example, currently the refrigerator/freezer pumps the heat from inside the appliance into the room. That's fine during the heating season as that waste heat goes to good use but during the cooling season, the air conditioner must now get rid of that heat at whatever functional efficiency level it operates at. So you are essentially paying to cool your food twice. Once to make the food cold and once to get that heat out of the house. If the condenser coils on the fridge/freezers could be mounted remotely, large gains in efficiency are possible. During the heating season, that heat could be used to increase the COP of the heat pump and allow the heat to be distributed anywhere desired in the home. Another example is in the winter the heat pump is blowing cold air outside and warm air inside. Some of the heat used to heat rooms could be pulled from inside the refrigerator. Sometimes efficiency isn't absolute, it's whether the energy (heat/cold) is distributed where and when it is wanted or unwanted.

Similar examples exist for heat pump water heaters. I think all of these appliances could have common refrigerant lines with computer-controlled valves being used to intelligently manage hot/cold through the house most efficiently. The efficiency of heat pumps is heavily dependent upon the temperature differentials that exist and that need to exist. By integrating the systems, they can operate at peak efficiency as a system much better than they can as individual stand-alone units. This matters when you need to be able to run the system off batteries and you don't want to have to buy more batteries than necessary. Expensive, inefficient ductwork will be eliminated in favor of heat exchangers/air cleaners in every area of the home. It may even make sense to have a solar heated exchanger on the roof to increase system efficiency. The system will be modular making design for different, structures, climates and sites easy. The volume of sales will drive down costs and disrupt billions of dollars of sales of conventional water heaters, refrigerators, freezers, and home HVAC systems. Appliance dealers and home HVAC are ripe for massive disruption.

Elon has a habit on focusing his sights on those parts of the economy in which people spend most of their money. And a large component of the cost of those segments is represented by energy. Even a large portion of the cost of food is energy, whether it's the energy to transport the food, make the fertilizer, till the fields, harvest the wheat, pump the water, keep it refrigerated, even the labor to harvest it has a large energy component as the workers need to get to where the crops need harvesting. That's why energy is so important to the economy. And Elon is focusing on being the master of energy, not only production and consumption, but also storage. This is why Tesla is so under-valued even at prices that seem somewhat rich to many. You cannot estimate the ultimate eventual value, the maximum future value of TSLA, by looking at the size of the automotive market. Not the current size and not the future size.

Martin Viecha
Thank you. The next question from investors is, since we're talking product road maps today, how do you view domestic cooling and heating in the context of accelerating the sustainable energy transition? And how might Tesla's HVAC and heat pump advances fit in?
Elon Musk
You want to talk about that, Drew?
Andrew Baglino
Yes. I think from a mission perspective, it's very aligned. If you imagine replacing natural gas, water and space heaters with electric heat pumps, it offsets something equivalent to like 80% of what a solar plus Powerwall system would offset, so it's very impactful. And we have learned a lot about how to make capable and reliable heat pumps that work in all environmental conditions and are excited about the idea of working on that problem one day. We put it that way. It's definitely aligned with our mission to transition to sustainable -- accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.
Elon Musk
Yes. I think it really becomes quite a compelling solution to the consumer where you integrate the electric vehicles charging, solar, energy storage, hot water, HVAC in a very tight compact package that also looks good. It just doesn't exist.
Andrew Baglino
Yes. I mean, the integration of those systems in a house are no different than the integration of those systems in a vehicle. The only difference is -- we do it all in the vehicle.
Elon Musk
And then, it's so constrained on mass and volume and energy. It's like -- you get the house…

Andrew Baglino
Kind of easy problem. But obviously, those systems are all just disparate and what we've been doing with Powerwall and charging solar is integrating them more and more. The next logical step is obviously HVAC and water and heating. So we will do that and we will integrate it probably better than anyone has. But as you said, we have a lot of stuff on our plate.
Elon Musk
Yes. And system integration too, with like phone, everything and the car can -- like the house can just heat and cool things because those are coming home type of thing. It still needs to be like randomly that temperature when you're not there or...
Andrew Baglino
When the cat moves.
Elon Musk
Yes, exactly. So just do sensible things and just work really, I think it would be just quite a game changer down the road. We've got a lot of fish frying on it. And so, it is a thing we will do but we're not committing to a time frame at this point.
Unidentified Company Representative
And people should do it.
Elon Musk
Yes, if somebody else wants to do it. Yes.
Unidentified Company Representative
It's super beneficial for achieving the goal here.

1. It is very easy to make an announcement.
  2. It is fairly easy to develop a prototype.
  3. It is somewhat easy to build several one-off prototypes for testing and investor excitement.
  4. It is really hard to go from several prototypes to mass production.*
  5. It is exceptionally hard to go from mass production to competitive (national/local code updates, sales/distribution/installation/service in place, acceptance by the marketplace).
*Elon’s remarks at Battery Day.

Going from step 1 to Step 5 is likely a looooong time, and lots of things are stymied by Step 4. I would opine Tesla HVAC is generously at Step 2, so those needing HVAC installs in the next 2-3 years will likely need to look at existing providers, imo, maybe much longer, maybe never. Elon is one of the few product developers who actually can get from Step 3 to Step 4 but there is a condition: he has to be committed to it. As has been the case with other announcements, his mind and passions can wander.