Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla I beg of you, PLEASE more distance for Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
Restricted to private roads. Got it/NO problem.

If I am in my work parking lot. Large, wide, open, flat, half mile of visibility. Even more if Im inside my building on the second floor looking out. There is no reason why I shouldnt be able to Smart Summon from more than 209feet. Can I just get 100 more feet? It will be no less safe at that distance.

Would be so useful in my work parking lot, especially during rain.

Restricted to private roads. Got it/NO problem.

If I am in my work parking lot. Large, wide, open, flat, half mile of visibility. Even more if Im inside my building on the second floor looking out. There is no reason why I shouldnt be able to Smart Summon from more than 209feet. Can I just get 100 more feet? It will be no less safe at that distance.

Would be so useful in my work parking lot, especially during rain.
Too many people would use it when they don't have a clear sight line to monitor the surroundings.
The robotaxi code coming later this year should allow you to summon all the way across the country. :p

Too many people would use it when they don't have a clear sight line to monitor the surroundings.
The robotaxi code coming later this year should allow you to summon all the way across the country. :p

100 more feet restricted too private property surely wouldn’t be more risk. My parking lot even shows in great detail on the map on the smart summon screen on the app. Shows how much visibility there is for even a 600 foot radius. Surely Tesla could leverage AI to see how visible the surrounding area is and adjust smart summon distance accordingly

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
100 more feet restricted too private property surely wouldn’t be more risk. My parking lot even shows in great detail on the map on the smart summon screen on the app. Shows how much visibility there is for even a 600 foot radius. Surely Tesla could leverage AI to see how visible the surrounding area is and adjust smart summon distance accordingly
Maps can't show if there are cars blocking your view. Ideally I suppose they could use the car cameras to make sure that you're within line of sight. Maybe they could flash a pattern on the phone flash that the cameras could pickup...

Maps can't show if there are cars blocking your view. Ideally I suppose they could use the car cameras to make sure that you're within line of sight. Maybe they could flash a pattern on the phone flash that the cameras could pickup...
Agreed. But my primary point is..all other factors being equal, the same risks that exist at 209 feet, are identical at 300 feet. Significant more reward, but near zero additional risk. And if its in private property (not even a private road, but a private parking lot), and Ive clearly accepted 100% full responsibility for all risks/anything that happens, then why not at least allow longer distances to be enabled within the app/MCU screen and have those longer distances restricted to parking lots.

Nah, they should flash the turn signals and you have to tell the app how many times the left/right signal flashed before it moves to prove that you can see it.

Agreed. But my primary point is..all other factors being equal, the same risks that exist at 209 feet, are identical at 300 feet. Significant more reward, but near zero additional risk. And if its in private property (not even a private road, but a private parking lot), and Ive clearly accepted 100% full responsibility for all risks/anything that happens, then why not at least allow longer distances to be enabled within the app/MCU screen and have those longer distances restricted to parking lots.
The risks are the same but obviously the magnitude goes up the farther you are from the car.
Maybe they could distinguish between private property accessible to the public and access restricted private property. Another consideration is that every state has different rules about how traffic laws apply on private property. My cynical view is that Tesla would prefer it remain a “viral” feature and not one people use regularly.

Be verrry happy what you have. In EU we have 20meters (when you use it it feels like 2 lenghts of the car in total) and you have to stay 3-5m close to the car. Basically feels like summon from 2015 like v1.1 :)

I'm glad its only 20 meters as it doesn't work at all in most scenarios. I'm glad we have strict rules here in EU for such nonsense.

Even funnier, Smart Summon driving speed here in EU is lower too and I think even set to 1 kilometer per hour which I think is really the max speed for this gimmick.

Every time Tesla says something like "we are awaiting regulatory approval" I think just make it first work as both NOA and Smart Summon are still in their inception phase.

They cannot even have actual working Auto park if the car is well positioned in MOST times you try to use the feature. If the car cannot even do this then if for sure cannot execute Smart Summon .