Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla I.E.D. E.Y.E Concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
2010 Geneva Motor Show Preview: IED Teams With Tesla For EYE EV Concept - MotorAuthority

ied-eye-concept_100306601_m.jpg

Tesla EYE Concept to make Geneva debut

This is the Tesla EYE Concept, a concept car which was commissioned by EV carmaker Tesla to a group of IED Turin (L ‘Istituto Europeo di Design of Turin) design students. The project brief was this – a 2+2 sports car that can be used everyday with an affordable price that targets young, cosmopolitan customers.

A total of 11 students of the Masters of Arts in Transportation Design programme at the IED coordinated by Pininfarina senior designer Luca Borgogno and FIAT senior designer Andrea Militello worked on the project, and were supervised by Tesla Motors chief designer Franz von Holzhausen. Pirelli and OZ Racing also helped out wherever needed.

They need to experiment, play with ideas, and gauge public reaction. Many concepts turn out to be a waste of time, but once and a while someone hits on something new, innovative and attractive that sets the direction for future products.

Personally I enjoy seeing the concept cars even if occasionally one gets created that I really want, but never makes it to production.

Now, as far as the I.E.D.E.Y.E... ummm, welll.... No thanks.

One example of success - the Porsche Boxster started out as a concept car not expected to make production but it was so well received that it launched a new generation of Porsches.

Damn, you resurrected the thread. Let it die!

I hate seeing this image in regular Tesla news stories. Just because Tesla was kind to some students and let them "propose" their design, doesn't mean the design should be attributed to Tesla. Or that Tesla itself should be faulted for the grotesqueness of it.

Let it die :)