Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any Teslas that might be available for a week rental? We're potentially traveling to Iceland and would prefer to rent a Tesla or other EV, if possible.

I know there used to be a few TMC members from Iceland but it doesn't appear that any of them have been active for a while. :(

Does anyone know of any Teslas that might be available for a week rental? We're potentially traveling to Iceland and would prefer to rent a Tesla or other EV, if possible.

I know there used to be a few TMC members from Iceland but it doesn't appear that any of them have been active for a while. :(
I’m researching Tesla (or honesty any pure EV that seats 5) rentals in Iceland. (Model 3 driver normally). Did you find resources or info since your post in June?

I’m researching Tesla (or honesty any pure EV that seats 5) rentals in Iceland. (Model 3 driver normally). Did you find resources or info since your post in June?
Yes. We found someone on the Tesla Iceland Facebook group. We rented a Model 3 Performance and drove it around the entire country on the ring road in July. I will look for the contract information for you.

Reactions: electronzz
Hello,

This summer, as our summer holiday, we are planning a 10-day round trip in Iceland.
We will do this with the Model Y LR departing from Belgium.
Just like some 15 years ago, we would like to camp mainly, if with 5 instead of 3 then.
Any tips or experiences?
What consumption do you take into account for the car?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

This summer, as our summer holiday, we are planning a 10-day round trip in Iceland.
We will do this with the Model Y LR departing from Belgium.
Just like some 15 years ago, we would like to camp mainly, if with 5 instead of 3 then.
Any tips or experiences?
What consumption do you take into account for the car?

Thanks in advance

Curious about your experience. From Belgium too, we did a 14-day roundtrip (the whole schmack, also the Westerfjords) last year in a rental RAV4. But going up and down via Faroer from Belgum is on our whishlist too. You'll meet a lot of Tesla's around Reykjavik, and the Golden Circle, but not so much in the other regions. Since electricity is cheap, and most daily trajects will fall just within range of MYLR my guess is a roadtrip in a MYLR will be great.

Not car related: Many campings where very crowded last year. To an extent that basic comfort can be compromised (waiting lines). Might be a good idea to mix in one or two B&B's as a break.

PS edit: better be on 19 inchers, and lower the tire pressure, especially if you want to leave the R1 for some hidden spots, so consumption will go up on bad roads... on the other hand I reached a 5,8 l / 100km average consumption in my RAV4 hybrid with lower tire pressure wich is very much lower than the Belgian average I get from my Lexus NX300h 7,4 l / 100km, same engine. So my guess is that average consumption on the whole trip will be less than in Belgium. Driving mostly at 90km/h, going down to 50 km/h on the many "one lane bridges" reduces consumption drastically. And you will enjoy Autopilot / Lane assist. Deviating like 60cm from your track due to inattention can have serious consequences in Iceland...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
For the Tesla Model 3 Performance that we rented, we went through Airmango – travelers changing the world – Nature is luxury . As I mentioned before, you might be able to find other options as well, especially with hundreds of Teslas being delivered to Iceland every quarter. :)
it's on my bucket list also, I drive a MYP, but a rental 3 is fine. Some of the rental agencies that I researched offer a higher tier of Insurance that includes gravel & ash damage. Since you've been there I wanted to ask if I stick to the ring road will that gravel/ash be an issue? Secondly, there seem to be a lot of Superchargers on the ring road, did you encounter any charging issues?

it's on my bucket list also, I drive a MYP, but a rental 3 is fine. Some of the rental agencies that I researched offer a higher tier of Insurance that includes gravel & ash damage. Since you've been there I wanted to ask if I stick to the ring road will that gravel/ash be an issue? Secondly, there seem to be a lot of Superchargers on the ring road, did you encounter any charging issues?
Wrapping the undersides of the car in plastic wrap will probably be a cheap alternative to purchasing additional gravel/ash insurance, it's a rental anyway so at most you will just catch eyeballs staring at you like you're an idiot.
Generally the gravel roads in Iceland have lots of potholes so you will be driving under 30 km/h whether you want to or not in order to not damage the rims and the slower you drive obviously the less you have to worry about gravel damaging the car.
The ring road is paved all the way so if you never plan on driving much off road you won't have to worry about gravel damage. If I were you I would look at satellite images of Iceland on google maps to get an idea of where you'd like to drive, the ring road is marked as road no. 1 and is called "Þjóðvegur".

Only because this is the most active Iceland thread, I would like to place here....

We returned last night from a 15-day, 3100km (1920mi) trip around Iceland in a rental Model 3. A stunning time; used every one of the eight Superchargers in the country plus three lodgings' chargers (of which only one charged us a fee) - terrific in every respect.

But for (semi)hard news: I learned on just about unimpeachable authority that the town (¿city?) council in Isafjördur has approved Tesla's request to emplace a Supercharger. Having one in the Westfjord region absolutely would cap the country in terms of travel ease. One can make a good argument that, given the terrific increase in Teslas in the country, the Reykjavik surrounds eventually also might merit more but that is a separate issue.

Newbie question. I'm renting a Model Y in Iceland and would like to be able to charge the car at superchargers as well as other charging stations. I see that ON has a network of charging stations (CCS) around the country. Are any adapters needed to plug these charger cables into the car, and if so, do the stations provide them?

For context, I have a Model S (US) but have only charged it at home or supercharger.

Thanks.

Newbie question. I'm renting a Model Y in Iceland and would like to be able to charge the car at superchargers as well as other charging stations. I see that ON has a network of charging stations (CCS) around the country. Are any adapters needed to plug these charger cables into the car, and if so, do the stations provide them?

For context, I have a Model S (US) but have only charged it at home or supercharger.

Thanks.
My understanding is that CCS is the European charging standard, Teslas sold in Europe are CCS as are the Superchargers. Your Model Y rental will be CCS.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Thanks.
Thanks for this, @SureshS and @AudubonB (nice to see you here from the investors' thread!).

Which company did / are you each renting from, and would you recommend them? We're planning a visit in August.

Thanks!

Thanks for this, @SureshS and @AudubonB (nice to see you here from the investors' thread!).

Which company did / are you each renting from, and would you recommend them? We're planning a visit in August.

Thanks!
...and you don't happen to have recommendations for renting a Tesla near Copenhagen heading up to Norway and across to Sweden?

Not much (resent) info posted in their forums.

We used “Blue Car”, as per my Travel Guru’s wife’s diligent trip planning, Blue appeared to offer, as of April, the best combination of rate, accessibility, and Fine Print. These features can change quickly, but Hertz and two or three others (my wife is shaking her groggy head in not being able to remember those names) didn’t make the cut.
The Keflavik office was open early (our flight got in around 0600); they were friendly, pleasingly un-bureaucratic, and our 5-yo’s car seat also was priced compellingly. And zero issues at time of return, either. So yes: we would use them again if their rates remain similar to or better than the competition.

I thought I'd put this here for anyone else coming to look for info. We have a Model 3 and a Model Y at home and decided to rent a Model Y for our 2 week trip around the West and South of Iceland earlier this summer. We didn't do a ring road trip, but went around the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, the Reykholt Valley, the Reykjanes Peninsula, Golden Circle, Vestmannæyjar, and as far east as Jökulsárlón. There are not enough Superchargers in Iceland to do this trip, but with the CCS standard, we were able to access every public charger. The car came with a mobile connector with an adapter for the standard European plug. It also came with something completely foreign to us in the US--a Type 2 connector cable. This is necessary for plugging into many lower powered public chargers that don't have their own cables.

We rented from Lotus and opted for the highest level of insurance. There's lots of things that will damage the car and with the highest level of insurance, you are not at fault for any of it. Everyone talks about rocks, ash, flat tires, windshield damage, etc, but what we found damaged the car the most was other people in parking lots. The car picked up at least 4 significant door dings in just 2 weeks from the tight parking lots at the tourist sites and we were bumped into once. Lotus doesn't even bother doing a walk-through at the beginning or the end of the rental when you go with the highest level. (That level also comes with a mobile hot spot, so no need to worry about staying connected.)

The car came with a key fob, so walk-up unlock and walk-away lock worked perfectly. Lotus provided access fobs to two wide-spread charging networks in Iceland: Isorka and ON. There were way more of these stations than Superchargers and we used them way more often than Superchargers. Don't trust Plugshare to find them. You need to have their native apps. The chargers are slower (22 kW-50 kW were most common) so charging took much longer than we were used to at US Superchargers. We charged at every chance we could and tried not to let the SoC decrease below 50%. Mostly, this was because a lot of chargers only had 1 connector and it would be the only one in the area. Luckily, we never ran into an issue where we had to wait for a charger and never had an issue where someone wanted to charge while we were plugged in.

We stayed at a mixture of Airbnbs, hotels, and guest houses. We were able to charge overnight at about half of the places we stayed. It really helped to start the day at 100% at those times.

In the 60F (15C) weather, almost never running the HVAC, driving 95% of the time on paved roads at the posted speed limits, after 2 weeks we went 2000 km and averaged about 175 Wh/km (280 Wh/mi) very similar to what we get on our Model Y at home.

Take away points:
  • Get the full insurance.
  • Rent from a company that gives you access to ON and Isorka--these are more important than Superchargers if you are detouring away from the Ring Road.
  • Don't rely on Plugshare or ABRP to find public chargers--download the native apps for the local charging networks.
  • Make sure the car comes with both the mobile connector and Type 2 cable.
  • Plan on charging taking longer than you expect due to lower powered stations.

Reactions: ecarfan