Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla idle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugged in will be best, but if you can't do that then leave with it charged to 80-90% then it'll still have charge left when you return.

Turning "always connected" off, will help, although I don't normally bother with that as I have scripts that monitor the car every few minutes and I'm not normally gone long enough for it to matter to me.

Stats from my last trip away (Model S 75D)

Car left @ 85%
2017-04-19 19:40:19, battery_level : 85, battery_range : 216.54

Charge left when I returned
2017-04-28 06:16:59, battery_level : 75, battery_range : 189.97

Without the network access there would be less loss, but even as is, around 3 miles per day is reasonable.

Thank you
We will set to 55 when we leave on extended camping trips. Wife is worried might cause fire or be bad if tesla went totally dead

You could always use a 120v plug set at 55% charge as well. If installed correctly it shouldn't matter. But it's extra peace of mind at a lower v/amp. Essentially no different than a plugged in refrigerator at that point.

I parked my P90D MX in the garage last night and didn't plug it in as I had only gone 6 miles. My wife came home later and said the garage was hot and the fan on my car was on. I ignored that comment thinking it was charging. This am, I went out and the garage temp was 95 degrees (65 outside) the fan was on and my charge was 80 miles- down from 205 the night before. Was the AC on all night somehow? My car key was not near the car so it shouldn't have thought I was in it ready to drive. Thoughts?

My car started doing something very similar the last couple of days and it has me perplexed (and I haven't gotten an OTA update in months). It seems to ignore my fob single-click to turn off and lock the car most times. I can hear the fan working hard and noticed that the climate was on, so I keep single-clicking the fob until it turns off.

Once I was in the garage without my fob and used the Tesla app to turn off the climate and that worked as well, except that the next time I got in my car, the climate was actually completely turned off and I had to manually turn it on again.

Very strange. Would love to learn what is going on. I wonder if this has something to do with the Overheat protection not working as expected?

I parked my P90D MX in the garage last night and didn't plug it in as I had only gone 6 miles. My wife came home later and said the garage was hot and the fan on my car was on. I ignored that comment thinking it was charging. This am, I went out and the garage temp was 95 degrees (65 outside) the fan was on and my charge was 80 miles- down from 205 the night before. Was the AC on all night somehow? My car key was not near the car so it shouldn't have thought I was in it ready to drive. Thoughts?
May I state the obvious? It's time to call Tesla. That is not normal behavior.

May I state the obvious? It's time to call Tesla. That is not normal behavior.
No it was not normal. I had them come and get it and they replaced a "battery heater regulator?" Or something like that. Further diagnostics showed it still wasn't right so they have agreed to replace the entire battery under warranty ( only 7k miles). Fine with me. So I asked them if I could upgrade to a 100 battery as I was misled by the salesman when I bought it as to the distance I could drive it (see previous post) and pay the difference and they are saying no. Why not???

It is important to check you own car to determine range you lose when your car is not plugged in and is not being driven. I once lost nearly 15 miles of range in one day when my car was parked outside in -10F degree weather. On other days in the summer when the car is not connected to any apps, it only looses 4 -5 miles of range overnight.