TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla idles Fremont production line for Model X upgrade

Discussion in 'News' started by mike_j, Jul 21, 2014.

1. mike_j

mike_j Member

2. rrosenbl

rrosenbl Member

This is really hopeful news, I can't wait to see the Model X rolling off the assembly line.

The factory floor is quite a sight if you haven't taken a tour, I recommend you do! It's also a trip to watch folks taking delivery of their new cars, such optimism and excitement! (happens under the tent nearly every day of the week.) IMG_2113.jpg

3. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

It's actually pretty impressive that they can do that much retooling in 2 weeks. Allegedly. :wink:

4. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

It would appear that production will restart on or around the time of the quarterly earnings report, so I guess that'll be one more bit of news on that day.

5. Username

Username Member

I like my Model S thank you very much.
    The Model X isn't nearly as nice and doesn't stand out as much.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Makes sense that they are reconfiguring. During the tour at the last year's event I noticed some significant bottlenecks. Straightening out the line and making more room should really accelerate things.

7. josephlweber

josephlweber Member

More options post retooling

Id strongly expect new options/upgrades post this retooling as well.

8. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Retooling the paint shop?

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If the paint robots are used to painting something in the shape of a Model S, they should need to learn a program for something shaped like a Model X.

10. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Can they retool the quality of the paint job? Or do Cali regulations force them into the current approach that causes many people to spend thousands more on protection and coatings?

11. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

I think the paint type is subject to envrionmental regulations causing them to use a softer paint than say, Ford does.

That said, people who buy high-end cars made elsewhere still spend thousands more on protection and coatings as coatings keep them shiny and no paint type is going to prevent hood chips. You should see the hood of my Lexus IS 350, painted in Japan, no aftermarket protection added. 5 years old and at least 10 noticeable chips in the hood (paint color is black). Looks embarrassing parked next to my MS.

12. DrDave

DrDave Member

It depends on the obsessive tendencies of the owner. Opti coat and paint armor were in business long before Tesla came around, and I doubt the 50K Model S's on the road are what's keeping them around.

13. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

True dat. Guess I need to build another $3 into the price expectation.

14. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

I would, especially if you live in an area with a lot of road debris. I had CQuartz Finest applied to mine, but now that I have 1 chip out of the hood already, I'm wishing I had done an XPel wrap.

15. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

See comments from Pete, the Sarasota detailer, re Xpel vs. CQuartz. Pretty convincing.

16. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

I expect that capacity of the Fremont facility will be higher than production for some time. This reconfiguration and expansion will allow Tesla Motors to build 1,000 vehicles per week for production. I think the actual capacity of the location will be more than that, perhaps as high as 2,000 to 3,000 and that will be filled out once a more plentiful shipment of battery cells from Panasonic has arrived.

17. DJung

DJung Member

If they are retooling to increase production capacity, does that mean if a vehicle is ordered now it will arrive much sooner than the estimated delivery frame? (The current estimate of late October)

18. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

I think the delivery times would still be stretched out for a while still. They need to catch up for the down time. Plus I believe they will be starting (or have already) delivery of right hand drive to additional countries of people who have waited a long time already. Then towards the end of the year starting the Beta X productions.

I do not track things closely, but would expect a 2-4 month wait for USA deliveries for 6 months or so.

19. Phil Seastrand

I suspect any estimates from Tesla, especially for Model S orders, accounts for this downtime since it was obviously planned.