Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla idles Fremont production line for Model X upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are retooling to increase production capacity, does that mean if a vehicle is ordered now it will arrive much sooner than the estimated delivery frame? (The current estimate of late October)
They've been supply-constrained in the past, with the number of Model S being produced essentially equal to the number of batteries they could source. Especially early on they were averse to replacing customer batteries unless they truly had to as every replaced battery reduced the number of cars they could produce by one (and is one of the reasons why a few unlucky customers got new A packs well into the B/D release window). That's eased, now.

Supply won't magically increase with the retooling, but perhaps they were getting close to the point where the bottleneck was on their end rather than the battery supplier's.

That, or straightening out the line at the same time as ramping up the X line just made sense. Or perhaps both.

Pretty cool, no matter what the reason.

Can't wait for someone to report on the first tours of the new config! But I suspect that they will not restart tours until they do the formal reveal of the Model X alpha (final design intent). Announcement of that could come any day, I would guess!

Tours re-started today. A local NJ owner was in the Bay Area, and arranged his tour a few weeks ago. He has not posted afterwards, so do not know ant more details.

They've been supply-constrained in the past, with the number of Model S being produced essentially equal to the number of batteries they could source. Especially early on they were averse to replacing customer batteries unless they truly had to as every replaced battery reduced the number of cars they could produce by one (and is one of the reasons why a few unlucky customers got new A packs well into the B/D release window). That's eased, now.

Supply won't magically increase with the retooling, but perhaps they were getting close to the point where the bottleneck was on their end rather than the battery supplier's.

That, or straightening out the line at the same time as ramping up the X line just made sense. Or perhaps both.

Pretty cool, no matter what the reason.

My thought: If they were/are supply constrained by a lack of batteries, why on earth would they be building commercial battery backup units (i.e. the big brothers to the PowerWall) ?

GH

My thought: If they were/are supply constrained by a lack of batteries, why on earth would they be building commercial battery backup units (i.e. the big brothers to the PowerWall) ?

GH

In the fall of 2013, Tesla production was constrained by the availability of cells from Panasonic. Tesla and Panasonic hammered together a new supplier agreement where Panasonic agreed to increase the cell supply. Given that Panasonic likely geared up to deliver cell supply for Model X deliveries in higher numbers and earlier than what has happened so far, Tesla likely has extra cell supply - hence the Tesla Energy products can soak up that extra capacity and de-risk the capacity expansion.

This is why they are building the gigafactory, and the battery systems are also being used to justify the gigafactory to the investors.

I expect they will only produce a trickle of these systems until at least the first phase of the gigafactory is up and running.