Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ignoring older cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems that Tesla is ignoring those of us with older cars as we are the ones who got Tesla to where they are now. Without us, Tesla wouldn't exist. These new firmware updates are fine and dandy but they do very little to the cars built between 2012 and 2015. Really disappointing!
Assuming Tesla is not ignoring early cars, what type of an update/functionality given the hardware restrictions are you expecting to get?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but am curious to know what exactly do you expect to get in terms of an update or new functionality.

Seems that Tesla is ignoring those of us with older cars as we are the ones who got Tesla to where they are now. Without us, Tesla wouldn't exist. These new firmware updates are fine and dandy but they do very little to the cars built between 2012 and 2015. Really disappointing!
Most of latest updates are requiring MCU2 or FSD, so, you might only getting 'hot fix' if you don't have them as your car already at its optimal state. Retrofit your MCU or trade in for newer tech. !!

Assuming Tesla is not ignoring early cars, what type of an update/functionality given the hardware restrictions are you expecting to get?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but am curious to know what exactly do you expect to get in terms of an update or new functionality.
We always get the updates late it seems and we really only get bug fixes. Hardly worth it. I know, I'm ranting. Probably jealous of newer car owners and their features.

I always treat my Teslas as technology products rather than cars. If I have an older smart phone that is no longer getting updates, it's time to upgrade. Obviously Tesla cars are way more expensive than smart phones, but I try to convince myself mentally that way.
Another way to think about is, no other car will get software updates that changes the cars in any significant way, so we aren't losing out much.
Although sometimes when I drive my AP1 MX, I keep getting impressed by how smooth it is and it does the basic functionalities so well where as in my AP2.5 M3, it suddenly brakes for no good reason or swirls between lanes. So newer isn't always better. At least not yet :)

Last edited:
Tesla has done an admirable supporting older, discontinued hardware. However, at some point the software has to take advantage of the newer hardware’s capabilities. At that point, owners of older hardware have to update their hardware if they wish to participate in the software upgrade game. In Tesla’s case, that means new MCU or new car.

I can think of no hardware where this is not eventually the case. In fact it’s rare for anything to receive constant software updates for years after purchase. Phones, PCs and Teslas are the only mainstream ones I can think of. Even most software that updates regularly is often sold as software as a subscription model or x.1 updates are free, but every year or two there’s a major version upgrade requiring a new licence purchase if you want to continue receiving upgrades.

I guess I’m saying that eventually all hardware will eventually be sunsetted, it’s hardly surprising. I can understand the disappointment. Nevertheless, name me another vehicle manufacturer as committed as Tesla to upgrading the vehicle after purchase.

Tesla has done an admirable supporting older, discontinued hardware. However, at some point the software has to take advantage of the newer hardware’s capabilities. At that point, owners of older hardware have to update their hardware if they wish to participate in the software upgrade game. In Tesla’s case, that means new MCU or new car.

I can think of no hardware where this is not eventually the case. In fact it’s rare for anything to receive constant software updates for years after purchase. Phones, PCs and Teslas are the only mainstream ones I can think of. Even most software that updates regularly is often sold as software as a subscription model or x.1 updates are free, but every year or two there’s a major version upgrade requiring a new licence purchase if you want to continue receiving upgrades.

I guess I’m saying that eventually all hardware will eventually be sunsetted, it’s hardly surprising. I can understand the disappointment. Nevertheless, name me another vehicle manufacturer as committed as Tesla to upgrading the vehicle after purchase.
Very well said. This basically summarizes it.

@Drone Flyer , I get your frustration. A huge perk of these cars is supposed to be the updates, but reality sets in and Tesla isn't supporting hardware much more than the average smartphone, yet a car is supposed to last much longer than a smartphone. Odd spot.

I neither 100% agree nor disagree with the above posts, it's complex. We're increasing moving to a world where always-connected-but-losing-support is normal (see: Sonos discontinued speakers). The Sonos case is an extreme that literally created huge amounts of waste for an otherwise functioning product. In this admittedly more minor case, Tesla hype once again didn't live up to... well, the hype, and you're not getting newer features that seemed implied based on the hype (but excuses of reality are freely given).

I guess I'm just adding commentary and saying "Yeah, I hear you".

From what I see on the Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker spreadsheet, I'm seeing updates to first model S cars as late as July 11th. As for feature updates you've got to expect some decline as each car gets older - at least they're still trying to keep the car going! I've got a 2017 and haven't had an update for a while now, but really, I'm not expecting much at this point either.

Reactions: SilverGS
It's not just about older vehicles, its the fact that the older vehicles are far fewer in number than the newer ones. They have limited time and resources, and they have to weigh ROI on the changes. It's hard to beat making fixes and updates on model 3 vs an older S, especially when the 3 is still being sold and the changes can net more sales.

Reactions: Vawlkus

I agree with this but you could agree that this could mean a faster rate of depreciation for Tesla cars then for other cars. Why would anyone want to buy a used Tesla when they have so much less functionality in many areas? I don't know that the used market has totally clued into this. On Autotrader there is a 2014 P85D with Ludicrous update (very similar to my car) selling for $61k. That is about 42% of the purchase price - I am not an expert on used cars but is that about right for a six year old car?

I agree with this but you could agree that this could mean a faster rate of depreciation for Tesla cars then for other cars. Why would anyone want to buy a used Tesla when they have so much less functionality in many areas? I don't know that the used market has totally clued into this. On Autotrader there is a 2014 P85D with Ludicrous update (very similar to my car) selling for $61k. That is about 42% of the purchase price - I am not an expert on used cars but is that about right for a six year old car?
Not everyone buying a Tesla has to have the latest and greatest toys. :) When I bought mine last year, I had to make a compromise between spending an extra $10-$15K (Canadian $) if I wanted to get an S with AP2.

I deliberately decided it was not worth that much to me personally. This is just one example. There are others (newer motors, adaptive suspension etc) to consider that don't necessarily make an older Tesla not worth it as you seem to be suggesting.

I don't understand how this would be different for any other vehicle. All new cars get updates and functionality that is missing on older models. The difference is that Tesla (updating over the air) allows vehicles to receive new goodies, to a point, that keep the vehicles technologically relevant for longer. This is an advantage.

My understanding is that people purchase vehicles they can afford. If they can't afford a new P100D, I don't think it makes much difference that a 2014 P85D is missing some of the newer functionality.

The depreciation of Teslas is due to the rapidly falling price and increasing range.
Given a new Raven LR is 3.5 0-60 and 402 miles of range for $75k someone would have to be full on stupid to pay $61k for an outdated car with 2/3rds the range much less efficiency and with the batterygate chargegate issues might not be much quicker and is at significant risk of supercharging speed being cut to the point of road trips being hard.

On the updates, hell I am happy to get the nav updates for my 2014 P85, my last car Chevy wanted $175 to update a garbage system that was a year old. I actually told the dealer I thought they made the system bad to try and upsell OnStar it was that bad.
Tesla keeps working with newer phones, my wife's Impala doesn't work with her new phone, maybe we could get the car updated if we paid for it, smart year as my Tesla.

Guess my point is stop being a whinny unappreciative child and enjoy what you do get.

A 2014 Model S that still gets updates, but with fewer new features than a newish Tesla is still a far better car than any other 2014 used vehicle. None of them have received a single OTA update in their life. Only the Tesla has gotten improvements compared to when it was purchased new. Therefore it should have depreciated far less than any other car on the used market.

The depreciation of Teslas is due to the rapidly falling price and increasing range.
Given a new Raven LR is 3.5 0-60 and 402 miles of range for $75k someone would have to be full on stupid to pay $61k for an outdated car with 2/3rds the range much less efficiency and with the batterygate chargegate issues might not be much quicker and is at significant risk of supercharging speed being cut to the point of road trips being hard.

On the updates, hell I am happy to get the nav updates for my 2014 P85, my last car Chevy wanted $175 to update a garbage system that was a year old. I actually told the dealer I thought they made the system bad to try and upsell OnStar it was that bad.
Tesla keeps working with newer phones, my wife's Impala doesn't work with her new phone, maybe we could get the car updated if we paid for it, smart year as my Tesla.

Guess my point is stop being a whinny unappreciative child and enjoy what you do get.
He's talking about Canadian Dollars while you are talking US Dollars.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan