Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ignoring older cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I want FSD and autopilot 2.0, I should be able to pay Tesla to update the car. I shouldn’t just shove it in the dresser drawer with my iPhone 5 and 3, and get a new one. Cars should be like commercial planes, in that they are updated every so often, not completely scrapped just because passengers want access to a USB Charger.

Why would you toss your iPhone 3 into a drawer when you could simply pay Apple to retrofit it with iPhone 11 components?

Reactions: Vawlkus
The depreciation of Teslas is due to the rapidly falling price and increasing range.
Given a new Raven LR is 3.5 0-60 and 402 miles of range for $75k someone would have to be full on stupid to pay $61k for an outdated car with 2/3rds the range much less efficiency and with the batterygate chargegate issues might not be much quicker and is at significant risk of supercharging speed being cut to the point of road trips being hard.

On the updates, hell I am happy to get the nav updates for my 2014 P85, my last car Chevy wanted $175 to update a garbage system that was a year old. I actually told the dealer I thought they made the system bad to try and upsell OnStar it was that bad.
Tesla keeps working with newer phones, my wife's Impala doesn't work with her new phone, maybe we could get the car updated if we paid for it, smart year as my Tesla.

Guess my point is stop being a whinny unappreciative child and enjoy what you do get.

I must say I like your points on the updates. What other car manufacturer provides free OTA updates and also provides so many features for free via the Tesla App. I have to pay for those features on my wife's Santa Fe and they don't compare to Tesla's features. And for those of us with Models S's we get free Supercharging for life.

Reactions: Vawlkus and SSedan
If Tesla is going to announce a million mile battery, then they need to be prepared for the required customer service that NEEDS to come with it. Right now their customer service can't get past the first six months without telling the customer NO over and over, and then NOT returning calls about stupid stuff that should of been right in the first place at delivery.

The comparison to Apple is spot on, but as an Apple customer, I disagree with just throwing anything in a drawer. That attitude is just stupid as you would never do that with a car IF it still works totally fine. Apple stops servicing and updating their products after eight years or so depending on the product when they really don't have to. They rather stop servicing their own product or fix them or provide updates to newer versions of everything they sell since the iPods.

Consider my perfectly running 2010 15" $4,500 MacBook Pro laptop. After been denied updates or ANY basic service at a Apple Store for the past two years or so, I can get another five years out of it by updating it myself with SSD's and Ram which I did, but I couldn't get the latest features until I hacked it with the latest Catalina update online. Apple won't make money if their customers are using their laptops for 15 years so like anything else, so it's just a business decision like everyone else.

So much for the goal of sustainability....

Reactions: First EV
I agree with this but you could agree that this could mean a faster rate of depreciation for Tesla cars then for other cars. Why would anyone want to buy a used Tesla when they have so much less functionality in many areas? I don't know that the used market has totally clued into this. On Autotrader there is a 2014 P85D with Ludicrous update (very similar to my car) selling for $61k. That is about 42% of the purchase price - I am not an expert on used cars but is that about right for a six year old car?

Because the functionality of AP1 is arguably better, MC1 has an actual radio tuner, and oh—Transferable free supercharging for life. That’s why you buy an older one. I can stream Netflix and Hulu AND Amazon prime etc. on my iPad. Hmmm, i’m trying to figure out why anyone would buy a new Tesla... ;)

Designing the Tesla Model S touch screen UI

Our 2013 Model S initial UI and mobile phone app was a big step up from the competition.
The changes made since are amazing, and unprecedented for any other manufacturer after date of sale.
I never expected to say "cool to 20 degrees" and the car do what I asked when I bought it, but that's what it does now...

So much for the goal of sustainability....

Huh?!
Tesla is keeping all million cars on the road, if a Model S fails in warranty or out, it can be fixed.
MCU1 is an obvious part that can fail, but it can be replaced with another MCU1 that works, car continues to run fine.
I replaced an ECU on a Ford and that was nearly $1000, 15 years ago! On a FORD!!

• Funny
Seems that Tesla is ignoring those of us with older cars as we are the ones who got Tesla to where they are now. Without us, Tesla wouldn't exist. These new firmware updates are fine and dandy but they do very little to the cars built between 2012 and 2015. Really disappointing!

I sometimes feel like that. I have a 2018 Model S and it's the "flagship" vehicle but sometimes I feel it gets ignored too. All the attention goes to the latest vehicles.

Disagree, I am using many of the new features added in the past year, and even in the past month (unlock at home, etc), Tesla has done well to keep my 2013 Model S near VIN 6000 (!) running well.
Agree with some of above posts, critical issue is that Tesla don't abandon older cars, at some point there will be no upgrades left that will work with old CPUs, memory, etc, but given a car might last 15 years they can't do what Microsoft do and just abandon XP for instance! My 2015 P85D started reading text messages off the dashboard about 2 weeks ago, I have had the car for 3 years and that has only just appeared and is brilliant. As far as I am concerned Tesla are still providing new experiences in an over 4 year old car and that is magic.

Time marches on.

Tesla really wants you to upgrade to a newer model, so they can make more money and stay in business.

Little incentive for Tesla to keep piling money into upgrades for the older cars.

Elon is personally, on many occasions, thanked the Coupe buyers for providing the profits to develop the Model S.
Thanked the Model S buyers for funding the R&D for Model X (Fabrage Egg)
Thanked all the above for providing the money to develop the much higher volume Model 3 and later Model Y.

This was all part of the widely publicised Super Secret Plan to convert the World to clean Electric Personal Transportation.

Mission Accomplished.

I must say I like your points on the updates. What other car manufacturer provides free OTA updates and also provides so many features for free via the Tesla App. I have to pay for those features on my wife's Santa Fe and they don't compare to Tesla's features. And for those of us with Models S's we get free Supercharging for life.
Good point on the app, and it works so much better than OnStar.

Nico - How did you get LTE, and for life? My MS P85 was ordered in Jan '14 and delivered end of Feb '14. Have 3G which is struggling. Should I be asking for an upgrade?

Hi AmpedUp,

You can request the $300 to $500 (pricing seems to vary with location) LTE upgrade through Tesla Service. This entails some hardware/software updates that definitely helped the
really slow 3G performance my June 2014 P85+ had.

With the LTE upgrade, you still are utilizing your same free premium connectivity account, but with a faster network connection, so you shouldn't be seeing any connectivity charges unless something has changed recently.

I hear you on the issue of keeping your late model hardware as up to date as possible. While I agree with those respondents that point out the declining applicability of update features to the older hardware, I think Tesla could do better in terms to making it easier and not so expensive to upgrade key hardware components to make new features applicable. For example, the cost of upgrading to the latest computer is quite substantial, yet would literally make an older model almost new again. As pointed out, it was those who bought those earlier models that took a big risk with a new company and hung in there with Tesla through the tough early days when those SOB short-sellers were working overtime to kill the company. These are the same people who shamelessly pump the Tesla brand among all they come in contact with.
Tesla did offer a sweetheart deal on upgrading Autopilot to FSD, but only briefly, and it was not widely communicated, and not directed specifically to the legacy owners. It was very confusing at the time whether a new computer was included in the deal or was that extra, was installation included or not, which models and build-dates were applicable, which versions of Autopilot were applicable, how long the deal was available, and so on. Nobody at Tesla knew the answers to these and other basic questions, and before answers could be determined, the deal was removed without warning. So, not Tesla's finest hour. However, given the more modest number of legacy cars out there, I think Tesla can afford to salute the remaining legacy owners, and make an at-cost hardware computer upgrade, Autopilot upgrade, FSD upgrade available for a reasonable period of time, at a reasonable cost, in both US and Canadian Dollars, and give these older cars and loyal customers a leg up. It would be the classy thing to do.

Seems that Tesla is ignoring those of us with older cars as we are the ones who got Tesla to where they are now. Without us, Tesla wouldn't exist. These new firmware updates are fine and dandy but they do very little to the cars built between 2012 and 2015. Really disappointing!

It's not just those model years mentioned. I have a 2017 MS. I've not received any new updates in going on a couple months but unless you have MCU2 installed, not a whole lot they can offer. For example; the update to allow you to view teslacam video's in the car require MCU2. They don't mention that in the update info. I scheduled a maintenance because it wasn't working and they just texted me that I need MCU2 for that. Same with viewing netflix and other updates. Basically keep paying for expensive hardware to take advantage of the newer technology when they can just retrofit the MCU1 to do the same thing. I really love my Tesla but I don't care for their business model and the way they treat you after you paid for the car. It seems the lifespan of upgrades is two years and then either fork over a few thousand or get another car.

Guess my point is stop being a whinny unappreciative child and enjoy what you do get.
The poster also likely paid a lot more for their Tesla than the Chevy in your comparison. Updates are included in the purchase of the Tesla not the Chevy so not an applicable comparison. Also many updates are to fix issues that the car should never of had, therefore saving Tesla money on repairs. The charge gate and battery gate owners may argue the OTA updates are actually a downgrade for their cars. Comparing them to an unappreciative child because they expressed their feelings that don't align with yours seems incredibly short sighted and childish. Just because you haven't experienced what they have or don't feel the same doesn't make them wrong.

The Chevy I had was a $50k one (same as I paid for my P85 used) less than a new Tesla but not a cheap one and they wanted $175 for map updates after just a year. My 6yo Tesla just got a nav update this week and the nav is so so much better.

On the batterygate/chargegate, I did see a mild range loss and winter supercharging speed slashed. So I got off pretty easy.
Gotta take the good with the bad.
Also have to accept that most updates are going to be refinement of features old cars don't have. AP2 is in need of continued work, cars that don't have it might get the update but see no change.

The games are stupid, I only hope those are practice for new software engineers.
It is unreasonable to expect Tesla to keep development of stuff for old cars. The costs are too high for no revenue. Legacy costs are one of the things that hurt the big 3 so bad a little over a decade ago. Tesla has the benefits legacy costs like most companies, but the free supercharging and cellular connection are additional legacy costs, how many more costs do you want to add in. Gimme gimme gimme, where does it end?

The Chevy I had was a $50k one (same as I paid for my P85 used) less than a new Tesla but not a cheap one and they wanted $175 for map updates after just a year. My 6yo Tesla just got a nav update this week and the nav is so so much better.

On the batterygate/chargegate, I did see a mild range loss and winter supercharging speed slashed. So I got off pretty easy.
Gotta take the good with the bad.
Also have to accept that most updates are going to be refinement of features old cars don't have. AP2 is in need of continued work, cars that don't have it might get the update but see no change.

The games are stupid, I only hope those are practice for new software engineers.
It is unreasonable to expect Tesla to keep development of stuff for old cars. The costs are too high for no revenue. Legacy costs are one of the things that hurt the big 3 so bad a little over a decade ago. Tesla has the benefits legacy costs like most companies, but the free supercharging and cellular connection are additional legacy costs, how many more costs do you want to add in. Gimme gimme gimme, where does it end?
You are comparing what chevy includes on the cost of a new vehicle that was similarly priced to your used Tesla, this is comparing apples to oranges. Calling software updates and unlimited supercharging gimme gimme is not accurate because these are features that were paid for when the car was purchased. So yes please gimme what I paid for even if it costs the company I paid to get it money.

The charge gate and battery gate owners may argue the OTA updates are actually a downgrade for their cars

I view the Tesla Model S updates that run the battery coolant pumps more often, and the internal dash fan for the MCU1 as longevity enhancements for the fleet. My ancient 2013 Model S VIN ~6000 continues to supercharge like new (90kW peak, 110 kW - SOC% rate curve), and 97% original capacity. The firmware difference from when I purchased to today is incredible, including automation of garage, locking, charging schedules, auto preconditioning, the list is long.

Reactions: AZP85