Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla improves Model 3's Interior Cabin Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have early Jun model and the hole is covered with material but still fair amount of noise that I would say seems to be around doors, as far as I can tell.

Assuming by subwoofer pass through you meant that whole in shelf at back?

I have early Jun model and the hole is covered with material but still fair amount of noise that I would say seems to be around doors, as far as I can tell.

Assuming by subwoofer pass through you meant that whole in shelf at back?

I have a late June build and that area is solid metal. We need to find out what specific things were incorporated so we all can look into DYI versions of these fixes. Perhaps @diplomat33 web scouring has yielded something?

EDIT: Added picture of my solid parcel shelf (late June build). What do you have?

parcel shelf solid.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
I just took delivery of my LR AWD built on October 4th and was expecting a loud car after reading all the noise complaints and I am pleasantly surprised that the car is reasonably quiet even with the noisy Blizzaks on. Wind noise at highway speeds is not any different than my previous BMW 4 series, which also had frameless windows...

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
We keep hearing that it is poor wind seling on interior noise, but let me tell you my experience

My typical every day commute involves 4 different drving surfaces, often on the same highway, often within 1-2 miles of each other

1)Concrete where it is worn enough that the large aggregate shows
2)Concrete that still is not that worn
3)'Asphalt' (I have the quote marks because asphault is technically just the black liquid in the mix) in great condition, often only days old (they are repaving sections)
4)Asphalt where the surface is work enough that the aggregate is to the top level

By FAR, surface 3 is the most quiet - and in there is basically NO noise in the car - blissful
Numbers 4 and 2 are not bad, and about the same, depending on wear levels
and surface 1 (worn concrete) is HORRIBLE

Now, as I'm doing the same speed (55-60) across all 4 pavement types (and often transition from worn concrete to fresh asphalt), you KNOW it isn't a change in speed/wind, but is entirely tires on pavement

Anywone come up with a way to make this quieter?

Tesla should take note. The noise levels on worn concrete (welcome to NYC metro) are horrible

different tires. insulate the suspension from the frame. add thicker insulation to doors and dash. dead mat the floors.... none of these gimmicky shove this here and tape that there will do anything significant and could trap water and cause seal failure and rust.

i would agree that fresh asphalt is almost like the car is flying through the air. i've caught myself driving without the radio on.