Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in 2016.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
Tesla in 2016.

What more and less important stuff do we know/think/expect/guess/predict that will happen in 2016?

- Production ramp up of the Tesla Model X;
- Reveal of the Tesla Model 3 concept (and start of reservations);
- Start of the production of battery cells in the Gigafactory;
- Reveal of a bigger battery pack for the S/X (more than 90 kWh)?;
- Geographical expansion?;
- Another factory?;
- Etc.

What more?

Let's stay off the gizmo wish-lists and stick to bigger picture issues that can affect the stock price. (Those wish lists belong in the Model S subforum).

An online gigafactory is IMHO the biggest change from 2025, with the knock-on effects that can offer around pricing, capacity, and power storage.

They'll reveal the Model 3; but I wish they wouldn't attempt to Osborne themselves.

We will see more car manufacturers announcing electric plans. So far we've had Porsche and Ford, and GM with the Bolt. Then there are the mysterious other Silicon Valley start ups, Apple, and whatever Google's plans are.

Companies going to this trouble does validate Tesla's market, where it has a huge head start; but it does mean (eventual) increased competition. Is 2016 is too soon to worry about negative impacts from other entrants?

We will see more car manufacturers announcing electric plans. So far we've had Porsche and Ford, and GM with the Bolt. Then there are the mysterious other Silicon Valley start ups, Apple, and whatever Google's plans are.

Companies going to this trouble does validate Tesla's market, where it has a huge head start; but it does mean (eventual) increased competition. Is 2016 is too soon to worry about negative impacts from other entrants?

I think that very few people who can afford it to buy a Tesla Model S/X will prefer to buy any other EV model of any other brand (instead of a Tesla Model S/X). That means that most certainly in 2016 Tesla Motors will not have to worry much about negative impacts from other entrants in terms of increased competition.

Of course there are people who can afford it to buy a Tesla Model S/X if they would want it, but still will choose to buy a cheaper EV model of another brand to safe money. Because they might not need that much range on a daily basis, for example.

Continued Supercharger expansion.
Announcement of another car manufacturer to participate in Supercharger use/expansion.

I'm really hoping for this. I could imagine a niche sports car maker who goes first - a car makers like Rimac (or someone who is a bit bigger than them - they are a bit too niche for my taste), then hopefully quickly one or two more and by the end of 2017 the Tesla Supercharger Network is hopefully the default charging network around...

Let's stay off the gizmo wish-lists and stick to bigger picture issues that can affect the stock price. (Those wish lists belong in the Model S subforum).

OK! Lets phrase it this way instead :)

Major premium car manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen etc have announced substantial efforts to develop EV:s.

I expect Tesla to begin addressing some weaknesses in its own offerings instead the current focus on its own strengths.
That is, start to fill some obvious gaps, instead of developing the follow-up to Ludicrous mode.
(Tow hitch, headlights, support for streaming media being some examples.)

-Gigafactory Phase One pack production in Q1
-Gigafactory work by Yates decreases through 2016
-small increase in work in 2017 (from timeline)
-other phases not rising above ground until after 2017
-Model X ramp in Q1
-Model 3 reviled late March/early April
-95 kWh range upgrade in Q3
-No new models announced beyond 3, perhaps mention of Y.
-No major changes to S or X
-Possible new paint selections in 2016 with new shop

By the end of 2016, I think Tesla will clarify the significance of the Supercharger network. If each Supercharger will be equipped with enough Solar and battery storage to be fully self sufficient, all of the Superchargers combined could be enough battery storage to satisfy the mandates for grid storage that have been implemented everywhere. The Supercharger Network should in time be able to operate as a backup/significant distributed buffer for the complete Grid.

Quote highlighted on the Tesla Energy section of Tesla's website.
Advanced Microgrid Solutions (grid resource adequacy) "Tesla’s bold approach to advancing battery technology will change the way we build our cities forever” -Susan Kennedy, co-founder and CEO of Advanced Microgrid Solutions.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2014/06/19/tesla-black-veatch-ev-charging-stations-network.html

Last edited:
Tesla Energy

Tesla has already moved Powerwall and Powerpack production from Fremont to the Gigafactory. And in Q3 2016 they will start to produce battery cells at the Gigafactory which then will be used in Powerwall and Powerpack production. And in 2017 they will start to ramp up production of the battery cells at the Gigafactory so that they have enough battery cells which then can be used for S/X battery pack production as well.

I sure hope the model 3 isn't reviled! I am definitely hoping for a reveal thought.

You can have any "thought" you want.

- - - Updated - - -

The continued delays in Model X delivery and tons of technical issues with the over-engineered parts will cause a massive drop in orders and a wide spread exit from Tesla.

I would think that if something has a ton of technical issues, it was under-engineered. I think it was possibly "over-designed" in the sense that their imagination went wild and the engineering team did the best they could to create these crazy inventions of the mind.

I think that in 10 to 15 years and beyond, if Tesla is not able to succeed, the over-whelming opinion will be that the Model X did the company in. Instead of trying to get good competitive cars to the market (that happened to be electric), Tesla went overboard and tried to get futuristic, very differentiated cars to the market that cost more than there was a market for, and ultimately had tons of issues. I REALLY hope that, behind the scenes, Tesla has a backup plan to build the Model X with normal doors - front and back - if needed.

I think that in 10 to 15 years and beyond, if Tesla is not able to succeed, the over-whelming opinion will be that the Model X did the company in.

Tesla will live or die with the Model 3.

IF Model X were a failure it would simply mean another capital raise and more share dilution.

With 30k plus active reservations it seems X is already a success and the biggest potential market,China, has not really been tapped yet.

With 30k plus active reservations it seems X is already a success and the biggest potential market,China, has not really been tapped yet.

Just reading about air pollution in Beijing last week makes me understand where the "hostpital grade HEPA filter" came from and why Elon put such emphasis on it. A lot of people here and otherwise in "the western world" seem to not get it. China is the future, even if Tesla got off to a little bit of a rocky start. Please everyone try to look a bit longer in to the future than a few years...

I would think that if something has a ton of technical issues, it was under-engineered. I think it was possibly "over-designed" in the sense that their imagination went wild and the engineering team did the best they could to create these crazy inventions of the mind.

I think that in 10 to 15 years and beyond, if Tesla is not able to succeed, the over-whelming opinion will be that the Model X did the company in. Instead of trying to get good competitive cars to the market (that happened to be electric), Tesla went overboard and tried to get futuristic, very differentiated cars to the market that cost more than there was a market for, and ultimately had tons of issues. I REALLY hope that, behind the scenes, Tesla has a backup plan to build the Model X with normal doors - front and back - if needed.

You said that better than I did. All this stuff that isn't necessary, the doors, the wind shield, the second row seats - make the car more expensive and harder to build, cause the delays, cause the high price.
Customers will disappear and Tesla will be on their way to bankrupcy in 12 months.