Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in an accident. The Good and The (Very) Bad News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, my 2022 Model S LR did its job! I was driving on a US highway in VA when a car 2-3 lengths in front stopped under a green light in an intersection. I was able to stop my Tesla from highway speed without hitting the errant driver in front (who then sped off unscathed). Unfortunately the Toyota Corolla behind me couldn't stop in time and plowed into the rear end of my Tesla. (See Photos). No one in my car was injured. The driver of the Toyota was taken to the hospital. I was able to drive (limp) my car home. Sounds great? Tesla avoided a chain reaction accident and we were safe inside and thanks to the video feeds I can prove I had no choice but to stop to avoid the car in front of me.

Unfortunately now the real problems begin. Getting auto body repair for a Tesla is not easy. Tesla has a list of approved body shops based on zip code. I live in the metro D.C area so there are plenty of choices within 50 miles. But some are only approved for "cosmetic" repairs and others can do "structural" repairs. I had the car towed to the nearest approved center and after a 2 day wait I found out they can't repair my "structural" damage. Going down the list I found a number of alternatives but the soonest I can get my Tesla repaired is 8 weeks. In fact one of them said the wait was 6 months! None of the places will let me keep my car on their lot waiting for repairs despite the fact that the rear bumper is very loose and could fall off while driving. So now my 6 mo old Tesla model S LR sits in my garage waiting for repairs. My insurance-provided rental car ends after 30 days and I then have to either rent out of pocket of just buy a junker ICE car for when my $100,000 car can't be use while waiting for repairs.

The Tesla is an engineering marvel but great automobiles also need to be a form of reliable transportation. If your car can't be driven for months because of a dearth of repair parts, its not an automobile anymore, its a metal housing for a 17in laptop in the garage! I know that supply chain problems and worker shortages have caused problems for all auto body repairs but 6 months - that's absurd!

Take home points:
1. As Elon stated at it unveiling, the refreshed model S is "as fast as a Porsche and and safe as a Volvo".
2. The Tesla safety systems will keep you and your passengers safe from injury (including financial injury - thanks to the video monitoring)
3. Unfortunately, the Tesla can NOT be relied upon as your sole means of transportation unless there is a major overhaul of Telsa's repair network.
4. If my Tesla is parked in the garage for months waiting repairs - it doesn't matter how fast or safe it it , its just a fancy laptop case.

IMG_1536.jpeg
IMG_5977.jpeg

Well the repairs on my 2022 Model S LR seem like a never ending saga. I had to wait 7 weeks (!) to get an approved auto body shop to actually accept my car. Now I'm told that there will be another 5 weeks before I can expect the repairs to be completed. So that's 12 weeks (3 months) without my car. I only owned the car for 5 months BEFORE the accident. This is a nightmare. The rental on my insurance ran out after 21 days, so now I'm paying $30 per day for the honor of driving a 2020 Nissan Versa from Enterprise rent-a-car. Not exactly what I had in mind when I ordered my Tesla.

Have others had similar difficulties?

If I had ordered a new model S the day after the accident, I could have had a new car delivered in the same timeframe.

This seems like a lousy way to treat customers who paid $100,00 for their new car.

The car drives well and straight? None of the major components are affected? Personally I would remove the rear bumper, leave it in the garage and drive it until they can fix it.
EDIT: OR duct tape / tie wrap the thing so it cannot fall off at least. That way you still have your sensors.

Reactions: skydve1