Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

ZTrekus

Feb 8, 2015
Sydney, NSW
Not having the internet browser on the centre console would not preclude the car from offering a hotspot, as far as I'm aware. However, as noted, it seems like hotspot isn't a feature available anywhere in the world.

But the hotspot would become your mobile phone or some other 4g router and thus bypass the Aussie Nannie State rulz

dhuDz

Jul 24, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
But the hotspot would become your mobile phone or some other 4g router and thus bypass the Aussie Nannie State rulz

Yeah. Its going to be a separate investment regardless, like those buses to the airport. They have hotspots. Set it up like that.

It would really be convenient though if its already part of the car, OEM per se.

9TR

May 2, 2015
WA
Thanks guys. Picked up the P85D this morning. The guys in Richmond don't even have their demo cars yet. Somehow they got hold of mine a bit earlier for me. Very good of them. I think one other gets released next week.

Sensational car! View attachment 89090I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!
bit late but wow what a wait. Car looks incredible well done and happy driving

timpoo

Mar 30, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The article is quoting a 100km/hr charge rate which has to be 32A 3 phase. But it also says they achieved 55km/h which could mean that the car used wasn't fitted with dual chargers or it was being fed at 40A single phase.

100km/hr would indeed be 32A 3 phase, though I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if all the chargers were able to supply that much, due to electricity supply limits in car parks, which of course were not built with EV charging in mind! 16A 3 Phase would still deliver around 50km/hr which is pretty damn good and a lot more sustainable for the car park, and allows them to fit more chargers in the long term.

However, I'm surprised that they're getting 55km/hr, because Tesla haven't released their three phase chargers yet (as far as I know). That means they'd be getting 55km/hr off a single phase charger, which tops out at 40A supply. I didn't think it would charge that fast, normally tops out around 45km/hr.

raynewman

Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
100km/hr would indeed be 32A 3 phase, though I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if all the chargers were able to supply that much, due to electricity supply limits in car parks, which of course were not built with EV charging in mind! 16A 3 Phase would still deliver around 50km/hr which is pretty damn good and a lot more sustainable for the car park, and allows them to fit more chargers in the long term.

However, I'm surprised that they're getting 55km/hr, because Tesla haven't released their three phase chargers yet (as far as I know). That means they'd be getting 55km/hr off a single phase charger, which tops out at 40A supply. I didn't think it would charge that fast, normally tops out around 45km/hr.
Probably EPA.

WhiteStar

Sep 28, 2014
Sydney, AU

The partnership is a big win for Tesla who is in the middle of their national rollout of Superchargers which can potentially charge a Model S completely in around 40 minutes. By the end of 2016, Tesla has said they plan to have their Supercharger network capable of allowing owners to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane without fear of running out of range.

Hmm middle usually means half way...they really are making progress :smile:
At least we'll be able to charge in Brisbane some time before the end of 2016.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC