Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possibly not the best thread to post in but didn't want to start a new one for this.

We don't have a certified pre-owned site or service here yet but I think we do we have stock cars, or demo cars that become available every so often. Is it a call around the service centres that gets this info or do they have them all on computer? I'm probably in fantasy land that they would have a 60 or 75 as a demo as they probably just show off fully spec'd one's but thought it might be worth a try.

Get the contact details for an owner advisor (go to a shop or phone the sales line). Make contact and tell them you're interested in a fully spec'd demo when available. They will be able to contact you when they become available. They do not put too many k's on them and with features getting added/changing so often they would turnover cars regularly enough. When I ordered mine they had 2 available in Sydney, but the boss was insistent on having the bio-defence mode 'for when we're stuck behind dirty smelly diesel trucks' so I opted for ordering one rather than a drive-away. On the bright side she did agree to me ordering an almost fully spec'd P90D!!

I think the advertising algorithm doesn't get the difference between this car enthusiasts forum and others? ;-)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    152 KB · Views: 90
Was listening to an interview with Matt Damon on the radio today. He was talking about the new Jason Bourne movie which is coming out next week.

They spent plenty of time talking about car chases etc in the movie and the subject turned to what he drives in real life.

He couldn't stop raving about his Tesla electric car and how good it was, best car he had ever owned etc.

Another free and genuine endorsement of the vehicle we all know and love!

RMS statistics for NSW registrations up to end of June 2016 now up.

table115_2016q2.html

A total of 403 Teslas are now registered in NSW, an increase of 40 cars since end of March 2016 or an average of about 3 cars per week regsistered in NSW.

Getting close to overtaking Hummer or Lotus and not too far off Aston Martin, but a long way to go to catch any less niche brands.

At the end of June there were 989 EVs registered in NSW so Tesla make up about 40% of the EV fleet.

Its so short sighted to say that just because our power grid is predominantly coal now that buying an EV isnt zero emissions. Tasmanias been renewable for ages, WA has whole communities going off grid renewable paid for by coal using power companies and the east coast takeup of solar just keeps happening despite the FIT reductions.

Lets put the mercedes guy inside one of his cars, turn it on inside a closed garage and see how long it takes for him to concede it probably would be better to be in an EV when its turned on in a closed garage.

Damn right EVs are zero emissions where it counts. Coal next.

That's one hell of a statistic. Not sure of the source (@heosat said in a reply that they "haven't published it"?)

EFTM has inside sources that say there were around 400 Teslas sold in Australia in 2016 to date.
EFTM's numbers are similar to those on a (private) spreadsheet put together by Aussie Tesla fans, from vehicles on the spotted thread & state registration data.

Compare that with (from VFACTS) 42 Nissan Leafs, 16 BMW i3s (without the range extender) and 3 Renault Kangoos and you can see Tesla sold more than 85% of the total.

Not surprising when the only pure EVs available brand new right now are the Model S, Model X (soon) and the BMW i3.

Even if you include range extended EVs (48 Outlander PHEVs, 26 i8s and 46 i3 REXs) Tesla still had ~70% of the market this year.

Australia has been left behind by other EV manufacturers because there is "no market" here and "no charging infrastructure"

Tesla's showing them that if you make a good looking EV with more than "city runabout" range people will buy them, and that the "charging infrastructure" is something the manufacturers can fix (and in reality is less relevant to EV ownership than most people think)

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
As the majority of electric cars in Australia are now Tesla Model S then it only seems reasonable that all public charge points should be Type 2 based and anyone else can get a conversion cable. In particular the J1772 standard should be outlawed here and all new i3 and i8s should change to that standard.
There, I said it. Feel better now. :cool:

Reactions: baillies
As the majority of electric cars in Australia are now Tesla Model S then it only seems reasonable that all public charge points should be Type 2 based and anyone else can get a conversion cable. In particular the J1772 standard should be outlawed here and all new i3 and i8s should change to that standard.
There, I said it. Feel better now. :cool:

With the current federal government you will - most likely - have to go through a phase of "type 2 chargers are unsightly, kill rare birds, cause health problems for people living nearby (low frequency noise pollution) and cause blackouts (by weakening pylon structures)" first.