Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good oil: Prius saves cabbie cash - Motoring - NZ Herald News

Tesla breaks into Oz

US start-up carmaker Tesla Motors is expected to begin selling its Lotus Elise-based all-electric roadster from a purpose-built showroom in Sydney later this year, providing the car meets Australian homologation. A handful of Australians have already ordered right-hand-drive versions of the car through Tesla's London sales outlet, where it is priced at £86,950 ($190,000).

Roadster Sport on Aussie plates

c214748364804072010181246_1.jpg

I also read the old day that Simon Hackett got the first one - no surprise there as he is one of their biggest supporters and he also has a LHD version but last I heard he couldn't get it registered for use on the roads so was restricted to the track duties only.

Short blog for story for first Australian delivered:

http://electric-vehicles-cars-bikes.blogspot.com/2010/07/tesla-motors-sells-first-roadster-in.html

Story for Simon Hackett's LHD Roadster explains his inability to road register it:

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/socket_to_em.pdf

Still no word on price and Sydney dealer location for Australia.

Cheers.

Still no word on price and Sydney dealer location for Australia.

Cheers.

I got a call from Dan @ Tesla inviting me to purchase a Roadster.
Price starts at A$225,000.
I didn't ask details as that's out of my league, so I told him I would wait for model S.
He didn't reveal the location of the store other than to say it was 'North of me".
I live in Potts Point.

Last edited:
Overall, a nice review...but the reviews have to get over this "Top Gear logic"...

"As for range, we could only achieve around 60 percent of Tesla’s claimed 394km range during spirited testing."

Why can't these folks recognize that if you go out to the track, or a closed course, and you drive in a "spirited manner" in an ICE vehicle, you won't acheive the ICE vehicles EPA ratings for miles / gallon or for total range either?

Apparently they also can't do arithmetic. They report achieving 257 km in testing and official maximum range: 340km (ADR 81/02). When I divide these I get 75% not 60%!

Or if I take the US EPA range of 245 miles I can get the 394km they mention as "claimed" range. But then when I divide I get 65% - again not 60%!

Last edited:
Tesla Launches "Oz Goes Electric" Tour | Business Wire

Tesla Motors kicks off its Oz Goes Electric Tour to bring the Tesla Roadster – the world’s only electric sports car – to fans along Australia’s eastern coast. The Roadster will journey an unprecedented 3,000 kilometers, proving that drivers don’t have to compromise on style, performance or range to go electric.

The Tesla Roadster is available for purchase in Australia today. Tesla’s mobile service technicians travel to customers’ homes and offices to perform annual inspections, firmware upgrades and other services, offering unparalleled convenience whether they live in Sydney or Perth.