Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw Jay at the recent showings @ Westfield Sydney city. He tells me that world pricing will be released in April, so this month.
I doubt they will bring a Model S to Australia until after production starts in July and there are enough spare cars.
I'll be in the US in September partially to visit a show room and choose colours and spec.

Last edited:
1st Australian store

At the Westfield event in March, Jay mentioned that the store would be opening later this year in Westfield, Bondi Junction.
I have also seen somewhere that our first model S may arrive 1st quarter 2013.
Was at the October event at the factory. A really beautiful car. Can't wait!!!:biggrin:

Q1 2013 would be awesome! Is right hand drive a requirement for Australia? Because then homologation for the entire UK is not far away.

Absolutely, right hand drive is mandatory in Australia. Simon Hackett the guy who brought an early left hand drive roadster was never able to permanently register it here. I think the car went back to the US once he got an official right hand drive roadster.

At the Westfield event in March, Jay mentioned that the store would be opening later this year in Westfield, Bondi Junction.
I have also seen somewhere that our first model S may arrive 1st quarter 2013.
Was at the October event at the factory. A really beautiful car. Can't wait!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for the information, Dborn. I can't wait to see a Model S "up close and personal" lol :love:

Wait a moment before popping a bottle of Champaign :redface:

Mr McCormack said the entry-level Model S (priced from $US57,400 before government incentives) could end up being priced close to the $75,375 luxury car tax threshold for fuel-efficient cars

The base model will be $US59,900 beginning with 2013. Early reservation holders may get a rebate - in Europe it's EUR 1,700 before VAT. Tesla will not import the 40kWh base model in Europe. I think they want to sell the higher margin models to cover delivery costs. I expect the same for Australia.

Conclusion: the AUS base model costs $US69,900. If I apply above exchange rate, I get $91790. :frown:

Volker, the exchange rate currently is 1.04. That is, the Aussie dollar is higher than the US. We have 5% import duty and 10% GST The GST is imposed on the import price that is including shipping and insurance. Then we have a luxury car tax, which on the model S this year is above $75365.00 less the GST otherwise we would be paying a tax on a tax on a tax. The luxury tax is only on the amount above that figure. So, if accessories or options can be billed separately then that brings down the cost of the car, and possibly assists in avoiding at least the luxury car tax component ( but not the other imposts).

Plus those in Australia with a current reservation will get a rebate equivalent to the price rise.
Got an email the other day from Tesla confirming this.
However previously experience with the LCT means that it will apply to accessories including the battery upgrades.:mad:
I'm writing to a number of federal ministers but don't expect any reaction.

Already wrote quite a while back, including to the communist party.... Oops.. Greens member, with zero reply. This in contra distinction to writing on other political matters when I usually get a " real" reply.
As to LCT on the options, they just need to be added after the event on a separate invoice. So long as the car invoice price stays below the threshold then the tax won't be payable. This is really going to come down to Tesla playing ball and enabling late dealer installed options. The tech package comes to mind as well as the wheels. With the battery, they could lease it exactly as Better Place does with the Renault Fluence. The contract could stipulate a short time line and no residual, say over a year.

Last edited:
Hi DB, hi ALL....yes unfortunately.... with the longer lead time for Model S in AU, there are no further market development plans locally....however I won't be too far away...

Hi Jay, sorry to hear that. The last part sounds promising.
We would like to thank you again for a wonderful time in CA in August. Test drive is still fresh in my mind, and the whole day was great. I always pictured you handing us the keys to our new car. I hope that is still a posibility. Leonie feels the same.

Peter & Leonie

I'm interested in getting a Model S once my current car finance expires next year, but have some strong concerns if this is the right time to take the leap.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there, and Tesla seem to be playing their cards close to their chest on these, so wondering if anyone on the forum can fill in the gaps.

- When will the Model S be available in Australia?
- Are there any released prices (not speculation as per Go Auto)?
- What will the dealer model be like - I'm in Adelaide - and how will service and support be offered outside of Sydney?
- How will the S handle Australia's heat? Last Friday I saw 49C ambient while driving (120F) and the aircon stays on for months at a time here. Minimum temperatures are nearly always above 0C (32F) here. I'm also concerned about the lack of blind under the pano roof but I'm guessing this can be tinted heavily?
- Have any plans about supercharger networks been released? Adelaide - Melbourne is an easy drive around 800km's which I can do on one tank in my current car, but at best a Model S would need two charges along the way (once at the border, once at Melbourne city limits). No I don't do the trip often.
- Are there any Tesla roadshows planned for 2013?

From my side, I don't think it's likely that we will see tax reductions / rebates for buying EV's any time soon - the current strategy seems to be increase taxes on undesirable activity (carbon tax, alcohol tax) rather than provide rebates / incentives.
I'm familiar with the roadster having had a few trips in the passenger seat of one in California, but have only seen static Model S' in stores in the US. The roadster is not an option for me due to packaging and pricing.

Hi Jamesp,
Welcome to Tesla Motors Club (TMC).
I am a reservation holder for a Model S in Sydney.
I understand that RHD production will start mid 2013 and we can expect to see the cars arrive in the 3rd quarter.
The only current Tesla motors presence is in Sydney and is to service current roadster owners. For owners outside of Sydney they would probably use the Ranger model which is a guy in a van that comes to you.
I was one of 5 reservation holders to go to the test drive in Palo Alto last August, and Jay McCormack (his handle is Jmac on TMC) told us the target base price for the 40Kwh model was the current Luxury Car Tax threshold of $77,350 in Oz.
Jay unfortunately now no longer works for Tesla
I don't think the Model S will have much difficulty with heat as the battery pack is managed by the car automatically keeping it cool or warm as required. The biggest issue will be how this affects the range.
I am keeping an eye on the effect winter driving is having on range elsewhere on this forum as the heat issue here in Oz will have a similar effect on range.
No guarantees about Supercharging in Oz but I calculated that you would probably need fewer than 10 Supercharging stations to support driving from Adelaide around the SE coast all the way to Brisbane. I think it will depend on how many are sold here.
There was recently an event in Hong Kong and I was hoping that they would continue to Oz but that looks unlikely now that Jay has left.
I have written to a number of politicians expressing my concern that the Luxury Car Tax creates a reverse incentive to reduce my CO2 foot print when choosing a new car but I have only received one formulaic reply.
Have a browse around this forum it is an amazing source of information to help you make your decision.

Last edited:
Well, I hope you are right about 3rd quarter, but somehow, I don't think so. I am pessimistic enough to think more likely q1 2014. The Europe announcement specified RHD at the end of the year for the UK and they would then have to do homologation for Aus. Without Jay being there I don't see this happening unless, as he says, he will not be far away.
Jay, since you are no longer employed directly, perhaps you could comment here? Unless, of course they have bound you by some agreement of confidentiality or something. Perhaps you could express that if so, and we will accept that. Otherwise any insider info you can give us would be greatly appreciated.
Pity, I too was expecting the Hong Kong thing to come here and was looking forward to it. My last contact with the S was at the Oct 1 event in 2011, and that is a long time ago now. ( I reserved in April 2011).
Jay, how many reservations are there in Australia? The MichiganmodelS thread over on Tesla motors site suggests around 90. Is more than that in reality?