Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies meloccom, Dborn and spentan.

I'm not looking to replace my current "work" car (diesel Audi) until late Q1 2014 so I'm not really in a hurry, and from the sounds of things the price should be fine. As a result I don't feel the need to put down the deposit for a signature to ensure I have it in 2013. I have a family car run-about as well which will continue to be conventional ICE for the time being (with a tow bar and supporting activities or destinations that a Model S might not excel at up-front). My "work" car gets left at the airport for a day or two most weeks so interested how it will cope with being left out in the sun / elements.

Given the timing I don't need to put down for a Signature in order to be first, but out of interest when the time slot comes and it's time to "finalise" options can a non-signature reservation be up-graded to signature at that time?

I visit the US about twice a year on average (mostly San Jose) so will see if I can arrange a test drive when I'm next there. Are they easy to organise or are they only at invitation only events (e.g. for reservation holders)?

Regarding the LCT - a more efficient car generates less (fuel) tax income over its life, so why would they encourage you to drive a more efficient car by further reducing tax income? Evidence suggests that the current government will only support positive environmental outcomes if it increases the tax base (carbon tax, mining tax etc), or creates blue-collar jobs (BER, insulation schemes). It's massively short-sighted that the best we can do for the environment is tax it.

Thanks for the replies meloccom, Dborn and spentan.

I'm not looking to replace my current "work" car (diesel Audi) until late Q1 2014 so I'm not really in a hurry, and from the sounds of things the price should be fine. As a result I don't feel the need to put down the deposit for a signature to ensure I have it in 2013. I have a family car run-about as well which will continue to be conventional ICE for the time being (with a tow bar and supporting activities or destinations that a Model S might not excel at up-front). My "work" car gets left at the airport for a day or two most weeks so interested how it will cope with being left out in the sun / elements.

Given the timing I don't need to put down for a Signature in order to be first, but out of interest when the time slot comes and it's time to "finalise" options can a non-signature reservation be up-graded to signature at that time?

I visit the US about twice a year on average (mostly San Jose) so will see if I can arrange a test drive when I'm next there. Are they easy to organise or are they only at invitation only events (e.g. for reservation holders)?

Regarding the LCT - a more efficient car generates less (fuel) tax income over its life, so why would they encourage you to drive a more efficient car by further reducing tax income? Evidence suggests that the current government will only support positive environmental outcomes if it increases the tax base (carbon tax, mining tax etc), or creates blue-collar jobs (BER, insulation schemes). It's massively short-sighted that the best we can do for the environment is tax it.

No worries, keep the conversation going, its good to chat to some Aussies and not those darned Americans who are already getting their cars (lol j/k, God Bless USA).

I have a V6 300C Lux which I will most probably trade in for a large 7 seater (for the space etc) when I get my Tesla.

I would recommend reserving a Production, cos otherwise you'll be very far towards the back of the line.

A non-sig reservation can be upgraded to a Sig, yes, thats what I did, as I priced up between the non-sig P85 with almost all options (which I wanted anyway), and the Sig Perf, and its almost the same, about ~$US2000 difference. Which meant that it was a no-brainer for me, to get my car earlier, and as part of a limited edition (US had ~1200 (inc Canada)), there will only be 500 RHD Signatures (in the world?).

the list of options I'm getting (but would've gone for anyway) are stuff like the Tech package, the sound system, 21in wheels, and maybe the twin chargers).

These are all in the Sig, so yeah, not that much diff.

I visited USA 3 times last year, and already have a trip booked in September 2013. So I'm looking forward to maybe a factory tour, or at least a couple of test drives of a Model S.

Regarding LCT, we do get a slightly higher exemption (up to ~$75k for Green Vehicles/EVs instead of ~$59k), but where we'll really win is with Petrol going up in Australia in comparison to power from the grid/solar etc.

Another thing is that if you register a car in the ACT, you are completely exempt from Stamp Duty, which is a large saving. I live in Canberra, (moved over from Perth about 3 years ago) so I will be loving the fact that I don't pay Stamp Duty on my beautiful new EV.

I would recommend reserving a Production, cos otherwise you'll be very far towards the back of the line.

A non-sig reservation can be upgraded to a Sig, yes, thats what I did, as I priced up between the non-sig P85 with almost all options (which I wanted anyway), and the Sig Perf, and its almost the same, about ~$US2000 difference. Which meant that it was a no-brainer for me, to get my car earlier, and as part of a limited edition (US had ~1200 (inc Canada)), there will only be 500 RHD Signatures (in the world?).

Out of interest - did you need to pay the extra deposit when you changed to a Sig?

I visited USA 3 times last year, and already have a trip booked in September 2013. So I'm looking forward to maybe a factory tour, or at least a couple of test drives of a Model S.

Regarding LCT, we do get a slightly higher exemption (up to ~$75k for Green Vehicles/EVs instead of ~$59k), but where we'll really win is with Petrol going up in Australia in comparison to power from the grid/solar etc.

Another thing is that if you register a car in the ACT, you are completely exempt from Stamp Duty, which is a large saving. I live in Canberra, (moved over from Perth about 3 years ago) so I will be loving the fact that I don't pay Stamp Duty on my beautiful new EV.

I'll be in the US in September/October taking the family for holidays and will see if I can get a factory tour (kids might even enjoy it). I'll have at least one work trip to San Jose before then but they're usually pretty packed in schedule.

I'm in SA which I don't believe has a higher exemption - I got the higher LCT threshold on my Audi due to low consumption numbers but it's more a token effort. I've got solar on my house, but at the moment power seems to be going up faster than fuel - diesel has cost me an average of 15c/km over the life of that car, and I'm estimating (using Tesla's 283Wh/mile and max 29c/kWh) about 5c/km for electricity so there is a good chance to save there.

Out of interest - did you need to pay the extra deposit when you changed to a Sig?

I'll be in the US in September/October taking the family for holidays and will see if I can get a factory tour (kids might even enjoy it). I'll have at least one work trip to San Jose before then but they're usually pretty packed in schedule.

I'm in SA which I don't believe has a higher exemption - I got the higher LCT threshold on my Audi due to low consumption numbers but it's more a token effort. I've got solar on my house, but at the moment power seems to be going up faster than fuel - diesel has cost me an average of 15c/km over the life of that car, and I'm estimating (using Tesla's 283Wh/mile and max 29c/kWh) about 5c/km for electricity so there is a good chance to save there.

Yes, of course I had to pay the extra $34K. Would've been good if I didn't have to. But I think I got in on a cancellation, as Sig #38 was reserved back in Aug 2012, whereas mine is Sig # 23.

Yeah, I'm actually going to USA mid Sept to early October this year as well, (SFO, LA & Vegas). I heard something over in the Hong Kong forums about test drives being conducted soon, and they have RHD cars, so it'll be interesting to see whether we can get an opportunity to test drive soon.

Having spoken to the Tesla Rep in charge of Aus, it doesn't seem like a test drive in USA will be an issue, provided that we bring an international D/L.

It doesn't seem like SA has the Stamp Duty exemption. Interesting that your Audi got the exemption.

I actually live in an apartment block, which had me worried regarding charging infrastructure, but there are a few visitor parking spots in my carpark/garage that have power sockets. So if I can use them (without anyone realising), then I'm hoping for some free power for a while.

:p

I heard something over in the Hong Kong forums about test drives being conducted soon, and they have RHD cars, so it'll be interesting to see whether we can get an opportunity to test drive soon.

Hong Kong test drive car is a US spec LHD. You can't permanently register a LHD car in Hong Kong, but Tesla managed to get a temporary permit for that car on a limited test drive circuit. The've been running test drives in HK for the past month or so.

When asked, Tesla HK are now saying winter 2013 for first customer deliveries in Hong Kong.

To clarify that was the higher LCT threshold not stamp duty exemption.

Yep, I meant that, sorry. I trust your Audi was high enough in the "Green Vehicle Guide" thingy, to get the LCT Exemption.

If it has a score of 15 or higher I think (combined) then it gets Stamp Duty Exemption in ACT as well, woop.

Hong Kong test drive car is a US spec LHD. You can't permanently register a LHD car in Hong Kong, but Tesla managed to get a temporary permit for that car on a limited test drive circuit. The've been running test drives in HK for the past month or so.

When asked, Tesla HK are now saying winter 2013 for first customer deliveries in Hong Kong.

Ah ok, LHD test driving in Aus would still be very cool.

Winter 2013 in HK would be Summer 2013 in Aus, which is December. Right?

Winter 2013 in HK would be Summer 2013 in Aus, which is December. Right?

win·ter
/ˈwintər/
Noun
The coldest season of the year, in the northern hemisphere from December to February and in the southern hemisphere from June to August.

Of course, Tesla's interpretation could vary - We're still waiting for a bunch of stuff (roadster upgrades, extended warranty, smartphone apps) promised for the summer of 2013 :) I'm guessing towards the end of this year (2013).

Last edited:
Wonder if one can register a car in the ACT if you live in NSW? That is, without an ACT address. I would guess not. Otherwise it would be a good lurk! Any idea how much stamp duty is on a percentage basis? Really hope we see the car this year, but I am really pessimistic.

Wonder if one can register a car in the ACT if you live in NSW? That is, without an ACT address. I would guess not. Otherwise it would be a good lurk! Any idea how much stamp duty is on a percentage basis? Really hope we see the car this year, but I am really pessimistic.

Nah, there isn't a way to register the car in ACT if you live in NSW, otherwise a lot of people would be doing it.

Unless if you live here and have an ACT Address, I think if you get the car registered here, then transferred to another state, you wouldn't have to pay.

However, even if I registered your car for you here in ACT, and then sold it to you in NSW, you'd be up for stamp duty.

Stamp Duty in NSW is pretty high, but not as high as WA (I used to live in Perth),

Here:
ACT

Duty is calculated based on the Green Vehicle Rating of the vehicle. Each vehicle is assigned a Green Vehicle Rating of A, B, C or D based on its environmental performance score on the Green Vehicle Guide (www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au). The environmental performance score is a Greenhouse number between 1 and 20 that is calculated by adding together the Greenhouse Rating and the Air Pollution scores.
Duty is payable at the following rates under the Green Vehicle Scheme:
Rating A - $0
Rating B - $2 per $100 or part thereof
Rating C - $3 per $100 or part thereof
Rating D - $4 per $100 or part thereof

New South Wales (NSW)
Stamp duty on vehicle purchases is charged as follows:

• 3% of the vehicle price inclusive of GST up to $45,000
  • 5% for every dollar over $45,000.
Example - a car costing $65,000, stamp duty would be charged at 3% of $45,000 plus 5% of $20,000 (the amount above the $45,000 threshold) = $1,350 + $1,000 = $2,350
Queensland (QLD)
Stamp duty on new and used cars in Queensland is now based on the engine size as well as the purchase price. Best to use our calculator above.
Victoria (VIC)
Victoria has two thresholds for vehicle stamp duty charges though the percentage applies to the total market value of the vehicle.

• 2.5% of the vehicle price up to $57,009
  • 5% of the total price where this is over $57,009
South Australia (SA)
South Australia has a low stamp duty threshold that must be observed

• $60 for the first $3,000 of the purchase price (or part thereof)
  • 4% for every dollar over $3,000
Tasmania (TAS)
Tasmania has a structure based on three price margins

• 3% of the purchase price up to $35,000
  • 11% for every dollar between $35,000 and $45,000
  • 4% for every dollar over $45,000
Western Australia (WA)
Western Australia has probably the most complicated car stamp duty structure in Australia so it's best to use our stamp duty calculator. Alternatively, read on...

• 2.75% of the vehicle price up to $15,000
  • A sliding scale is used between $15,000 and $40,000 from 2.75% to 6.5%
  • 6.5% for every dollar over $40,000

I think we can speculate all we want. But surely it is time for Tesla to give us some concrete info re Aussie deliveries and pricing. I only found out that delivery of RHD was delayed from the 'mid year' timetable to end of year when I read the European pricing blog and put two and two together.

I registered for Model S in 2009 (via their UK registrations and I paid my deposit in British pounds!). Tesla have promised me I am their number one ticket holder in Aus. And that my brother is number 2. But what will it cost me? And when will it be delivered! And what about Sig v. Performance?!

I flew to San Fran to test drive this vehicle lasy year as part of the 'Get Amped' tour and it is truly magnificent. But I understand the Aussie guy I test drive the car with (see YouTube video), Jay McCormack, is no longer with the company. Who is his replacement? Where will the Tesla showroom and service centre be located?

Too many questions and not enough communication from Telstra in my opinion.

I think we can speculate all we want. But surely it is time for Tesla to give us some concrete info re Aussie deliveries and pricing. I only found out that delivery of RHD was delayed from the 'mid year' timetable to end of year when I read the European pricing blog and put two and two together.

I registered for Model S in 2009 (via their UK registrations and I paid my deposit in British pounds!). Tesla have promised me I am their number one ticket holder in Aus. And that my brother is number 2. But what will it cost me? And when will it be delivered! And what about Sig v. Performance?!
Yep, they were quick to take the registration money, but not with the follow up info. Our contacts are now Naomi Takeuchi and Kevin Yu, both in California. [email protected] and [email protected] . Kevin is regional manager - I think that includes Hong Kong. Others have complained about ce lasy year as part of the 'Get Amped' tour and it is truly magnificent. But I understand the Aussie guy I test drive the car with (see YouTube video), Jay McCormack, is no longer with the company. Who is his replacement? Where will the Tesla showroom and service centre be located?
Too many questions and not enough communication from Telstra in my opinion.
Yep, they were quick to take the registration money, but not with the follow up info. Our contacts are now Naomi Takeuchi and Kevin Yu, both in California. [email protected] and [email protected] . Kevin is regional manager - I think that includes Hong Kong. Others have complained about communication from the company, although George did reply to me very promptly with a direct email - see other post here. Kevin replied to me a while back with the info you already have - that deliveries will start at the end of the year. My guess? We won't see our cars before next year. The only advantage to that, is, I hope, that they will have sorted out all the teething problems the Yanks are reporting on these forums, and that maybe, just maybe, we will get a proper interior with proper storage, and parking sensors and internal grab handles. Last i heard, the service centre is in Sydney still, and the first showroom will be at Westfield Bondi Junction. That, of course, could change dramatically.

I heard from Kevin last week, but it's a bit concerning putting down a deposit without knowing things like what will be required at my house to charge, if I will be able to get it serviced, if I'll be stranded for months waiting for it to be trucked to Sydney for a door handle fix, etc. Lots of big questions without answers.

I heard from Kevin last week, but it's a bit concerning putting down a deposit without knowing things like what will be required at my house to charge, if I will be able to get it serviced, if I'll be stranded for months waiting for it to be trucked to Sydney for a door handle fix, etc. Lots of big questions without answers.

You can charge from a standard 10 Amp, 15 Amp or 32 Amp plugs, it just depends how long you are willing to wait.
The cables that are supplied with the Roadster include a standard 10 Amp plug and a high powered connector with a Clipsal 56P532 plug.
I have installed a socket in my garage that accepts the 56P532 plug, which is normally a 3 phase plug, but as I only have single phase power, only the first phase is connected.
In any case the Roadster, and probably Model S, will probably only use single phase power in Australia.
The best thing to do right now is make sure that you have at least 32 Amp or more capacity in your power board so you know if supplying a socket to charge your Model S will be expensive or not.
There is at least one other Tesla customer in Adelaide, Simon Hackett of Internode was the first Roadster owner in Australia. You will be able to get it serviced using Ranger model but if the Model S will be your only car, you may be inconvenienced somewhat if you suffer a major fault.

You can charge from a standard 10 Amp, 15 Amp or 32 Amp plugs, it just depends how long you are willing to wait.
The cables that are supplied with the Roadster include a standard 10 Amp plug and a high powered connector with a Clipsal 56P532 plug.
I have installed a socket in my garage that accepts the 56P532 plug, which is normally a 3 phase plug, but as I only have single phase power, only the first phase is connected.
In any case the Roadster, and probably Model S, will probably only use single phase power in Australia.
The best thing to do right now is make sure that you have at least 32 Amp or more capacity in your power board so you know if supplying a socket to charge your Model S will be expensive or not.
There is at least one other Tesla customer in Adelaide, Simon Hackett of Internode was the first Roadster owner in Australia. You will be able to get it serviced using Ranger model but if the Model S will be your only car, you may be inconvenienced somewhat if you suffer a major fault.

Thanks for all the info.

I only have 10A 240V sockets in my apartment complex's garage, so will be relying on that as well as public charging stations (there are a few in Canberra) to keep me going.

Upside is that I don't have to pay for power, as those sockets are not technically billed to me, they're billed to the body corporate lol.

Unless if they wanna install a nice powerful wall socket near my parking space (which I'd be happy for), they can wear the bill of charging my car (which I don't think would be that significant.

I'm thinking I'll prob chuck my current car (300C luxury) up on carsales once I get my Model S, but won't be in a hurry to sell it, cos reliability is unknown.

I'd probably be going for ranger servicing here in canberra. Not too far for the rangers to drive.

Thanks for your reply meloccom. I take it you've been advised by Tesla that the ranger model will be in place in Australia?

I have 3 phase with 80A breakers on each phase although with a big AC plant across it. I need some electrical work done here next month so will ask the electrician what my options are. I see some speculation about 3-phase charging on this forum without any real direction so won't make an investments in the sockets and wiring (it's a long run from the meter board to the garage) until Tesla make their announcements. Thanks for the info!

We're a typical 2-car family so not completely stranded, but still inconvenient if there's no support here and the car is on a transport. Hopefully as others have mentioned the major bugs will be ironed out before cars arrive here. I only have a two car garage so won't be keeping a spare just in case.

I've been meaning to catch up with Simon to find out what he knows - he's given me a few rides in his roadster that he keeps in the US over the past couple of years and he introduced me to the brand, and also the Menlo Park service centre when he had some boot catch problems one trip. Since his circumstances have changed our paths don't cross as often anymore. I suspect Simon has sold more than a few reservations for Tesla with his advocacy for the brand.

Last edited:
At my marina, they supply 15 amp flat pin clipsal sockets. My boat draws just a bit more than that and is burning the pins. The solution is exactly as meloccom states above to put in the 3 phase round pin socket rated at 32 amps per phase. That is, a total of 5 possible wires or conductors. I am having only 3 - that is active neutral and earth with two phases linked to supply 32 amps on one phase. If you are having electrical work done already, it would make sense to install the clipsal socket as suggested above. Irrespective, the socket costs around 100 dollars, and to run the wiring would be about the same as for single phase. Slightly higher material cost for the 3 phase 5 wires, but they will be correctly colour coded. Remember, even if the car comes here with only single phase, the wires can be bridged to give a higher capacity single phase. You can still plug in with single phase and be drawing from the one phase, just as I am going to be doing on the boat. Check it out with your electrician, and if he is not so sure, call your nearest marina, preferably one with large boats, and speak their electrician, who will have experience, which guys doing regular work won't.