Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been meaning to catch up with Simon to find out what he knows - he's given me a few rides in his roadster that he keeps in the US over the past couple of years and he introduced me to the brand, and also the Menlo Park service centre when he had some boot catch problems one trip. Since his circumstances have changed our paths don't cross as often anymore. I suspect Simon has sold more than a few reservations for Tesla with his advocacy for the brand.

Tried this route, didn't hear back (not unusual). I have since heard that he had somewhat unique support arrangements for his roadsters in Australia so that doesn't help.

Suddenly we have gone from end of this year to first quarter 2014. How did that happen? I'm taking bets that deliveries will not commence until at least second quarter. Anyone care to bet against me? That would make it one year after the originally promised date.

And it is going to cost how much? Ah, sorry. We still can't tell you. My post Get Amped enthusiasm has melted away.

So what do we know so far - first quarter 2014 launch in Australia, no news on pricing, no news on rangers or service centres, no news on supercharger network and it appears they don't currently have any employees in Australia.

Did I miss anything?
i thought there was a service centre down near Sydney airport. Has it closed down? I was told in an email a couple of months ago that they were looking at superchargers for Australia and could I suggest where these might go. Maybe all pie in the sky. So far, they do say that we are still getting it here.

i thought there was a service centre down near Sydney airport. Has it closed down?

On the website there's no address listed and the link for the service centre says "by appointment only". Under gallery it says "At this time, Tesla Australia does not have a showroom with public hours."

I took that to mean there's no presence in Australia and they've perhaps subcontracted a service centre. I'll keep watching for the time being as I'm not in a rush, just a bit surprised at the radio silence.

Actually my brother got a tweet response from Elon, but the answer is the same. No detail but the car is scheduled to come to Aus early next year. Re the Audi? As pissed off as I am (paid my deposit in 2009!), I'd wait for the Tesla. I flew to the USA for a text drive lady year. Nothing can touch it. This car will become one of the all time classics.

Greetings All - I am sorry for the time away and limited contribution over the past months however I have been traveling significantly with my new role since Jan but feet on the ground now. Have caught up a little on this thread so very pleased to jump in and join the conversation. Not good to hear of the radio silence from Tesla for so long however seems like there is a little communication now so that's positive. Let me know if I can help with anything. Model S and Tesla continues to go from strength to strength. My best to you all and looking forward to connecting a lot more moving forward. JM

Welcome back Jay,
Hope your enjoying your new role and its with Tesla.
We're all just keen to her news about the start of RHD production and when Model S will start arriving in Oz.
If only so we have an answer for all the people asking! :redface:

Welcome back Jay,
Hope your enjoying your new role and its with Tesla.
We're all just keen to her news about the start of RHD production and when Model S will start arriving in Oz.
If only so we have an answer for all the people asking! :redface:

Yep, Leonie and I agree. We have only heard via this forum that this part of the world is looking at Jan or Feb next year. Some sort of official communication would be appreciated just so we know where we stand.

Thanks Guys - good to be be back - alas meloccom, the new role is not with Tesla, however another very very exciting company.......and still working within the EV sector consulting too... Tesla have not yet returned to AU with Sales & Marketing. I noted a couple of comments a few pages back re service and can confirm the service operation is still in full swing (syd) servicing the whole of AU & NZ Roadster Owners - I have also received a number of calls also searching for timeline information for Model S, so ill connect with some of my contacts in California for some updated details and see where we can get too...what we really need to know is 1) timeline for test drive car 2) SOP for RHD vehicles 3) delivery of first Signature Vehicles 4) delivery of General Production - from there we should be able to understand when pricing will be announced (between 1-2) as Tesla will want to firm up all reservations with actual specified order / contracts and we will need to know all the details including on road charges, logistics, delivery/collection etc. Regards