Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Jay gone to McLaren, our only local Tesla contact is the after sales service agent Huw Williams. Although he is an excellent brand ambassador, he seems to be as much in the dark as we are about the Australasian Model S. For instance, I'm curious if we'll be getting the single-phase Tesla inlet, or the three-phase European (IEC 62196-2) one. As it stands, we have no idea what style of charging infrastructure to encourage our local government / businesses to install.

As I had to negotiate with my Owners Corporation to install a power point for my car I started the process early and got approval last year. So I could lock in the approval I went ahead with the install and just used the advice I received from Tesla Australia regarding the Roaster which is a Clipsal 56p532 plug which means a 56SO532 socket. Even though these are designed for 3 phase the Roadster only supported single phase charging so only one phase was wired up. In any case I only had access to single phase and was limited to 32 Amps by the OC. At worst I may have to change the socket when the Model S arrives.

Last edited:
REPLY FROM GEORGE BLANKENSHIP

Hi George,

Following the shareholder meeting, it seems that we are likely to see our
Right hand drive cars here in 2014. I contacted Kevin Yu, and was replied to
by Naomi Takeuchi, that it was likely to be "early" in 2014.

My question to you as head of ownership experience, is : if that is the
case, it is surprising that there is no discernable activity here in this
country at all - that is, no local customer service person has been
appointed, no evidence of a gallery to be opened, despite the previous idea
of one being opened in a major shopping centre in Sydney, Westfield, Bondi
Junction. Probably the largest such centre in Australia.
There certainly is no "get amped" tour and no test drives such as they have
had in Hong Kong or Japan.

As both a shareholder and reservation holder (sig#9), I REALLY would love to
hear directly from you, what the situation is more accurately. Being left in
some kind of limbo like this is very uncomfortable, what with the roll out
in Europe, now apparently China and right hand drive Japan this year.
Australia, population wise, is perhaps a perceived small market for you,
but, I assure you, wealthy enough and technologically switched on enough to
become a major export market out of proportion to our population size. Take
up here is also likely to influence perceptions about the car elsewhere in
the world given our close ties to Great Britain.

I look forward to some accurate direction from you.

Hi David,

Thanks for the note.

We plan to start deliveries of RHD in 2014. We do not know at this point when in 2014. We are doing all we can to make it happen as soon as possible, but we can't be more definitive until we get closer to the start of production. There is a lot to do prior to starting RHD deliveries. It is not the same as what we had to do to begin worldwide distribution of LHD Model S. RHD Model S is like a whole different car and must go thru all the crash tests and other homologation efforts as if it were a completely different car than the LHD version of Model S. We have target timelines set like we did with LHD to get thru this process, but all these timelines are estimates at this point.

As we get closer, we will begin marketing efforts that will include all the types of things you have suggested. We will open a store, hire a full time staff, expand the service center and send cars over for test drives. At some point we will also begin working with the press to get them behind the wheel. All this will take place as we get closer to the start of production, just like it is happening now in Europe. Test drive cars just began hitting our stores in April and May in anticipation of our start of deliveries in a few months.

One clarification, we are delivering LHD Model S in Japan this year. Some drivers in Japan enjoy driving LHD cars and have reserved LHD vs RHD. That is what we are delivering first in Japan, not RHD. Sorry for the confusion.

I know this answer may not be as concrete as you would like to hear, but it is the best answer I can give you at the moment until I have better visibility into a target date when everything can be ready for start of RHD production.

Have a great week!

George

- - - Updated - - -

As I had to negotiate with my Owners Corporation to install a power point for my car I started the process early and got approval last year. So I could lock in the approval I went ahead with the install and just used the advice I received from Tesla Australia regarding the Roaster which is a Clipsal 56p532 plug which means a 56SO532 socket. Even though these are designed for 3 phase the Roadster only supported single phase charging so only one phase was wired up. In any case I did not have access to single phase and was limited to 32 Amps by the OC. At worst I may have to change the socket when the Model S arrives.
following my experience with getting a reply from George, it is worth writing to him direct with the specific charging standard question. I have previously written that I would like to see 3 phase available to us here. Hopefully the factory remembers. Let us know how you go.

REPLY FROM GEORGE BLANKENSHIP

Hi George,

Following the shareholder meeting, it seems that we are likely to see our
Right hand drive cars here in 2014. I contacted Kevin Yu, and was replied to
by Naomi Takeuchi, that it was likely to be "early" in 2014.

My question to you as head of ownership experience, is : if that is the
case, it is surprising that there is no discernable activity here in this
country at all - that is, no local customer service person has been
appointed, no evidence of a gallery to be opened, despite the previous idea
of one being opened in a major shopping centre in Sydney, Westfield, Bondi
Junction. Probably the largest such centre in Australia.
There certainly is no "get amped" tour and no test drives such as they have
had in Hong Kong or Japan.

As both a shareholder and reservation holder (sig#9), I REALLY would love to
hear directly from you, what the situation is more accurately. Being left in
some kind of limbo like this is very uncomfortable, what with the roll out
in Europe, now apparently China and right hand drive Japan this year.
Australia, population wise, is perhaps a perceived small market for you,
but, I assure you, wealthy enough and technologically switched on enough to
become a major export market out of proportion to our population size. Take
up here is also likely to influence perceptions about the car elsewhere in
the world given our close ties to Great Britain.

I look forward to some accurate direction from you.

Hi David,

Thanks for the note.

We plan to start deliveries of RHD in 2014. We do not know at this point when in 2014. We are doing all we can to make it happen as soon as possible, but we can't be more definitive until we get closer to the start of production. There is a lot to do prior to starting RHD deliveries. It is not the same as what we had to do to begin worldwide distribution of LHD Model S. RHD Model S is like a whole different car and must go thru all the crash tests and other homologation efforts as if it were a completely different car than the LHD version of Model S. We have target timelines set like we did with LHD to get thru this process, but all these timelines are estimates at this point.

As we get closer, we will begin marketing efforts that will include all the types of things you have suggested. We will open a store, hire a full time staff, expand the service center and send cars over for test drives. At some point we will also begin working with the press to get them behind the wheel. All this will take place as we get closer to the start of production, just like it is happening now in Europe. Test drive cars just began hitting our stores in April and May in anticipation of our start of deliveries in a few months.

One clarification, we are delivering LHD Model S in Japan this year. Some drivers in Japan enjoy driving LHD cars and have reserved LHD vs RHD. That is what we are delivering first in Japan, not RHD. Sorry for the confusion.

I know this answer may not be as concrete as you would like to hear, but it is the best answer I can give you at the moment until I have better visibility into a target date when everything can be ready for start of RHD production.

Have a great week!

George

- - - Updated - - -

following my experience with getting a reply from George, it is worth writing to him direct with the specific charging standard question. I have previously written that I would like to see 3 phase available to us here. Hopefully the factory remembers. Let us know how you go.

Thank You for sharing this. It is a bit more reassuring. I look forward to the day we can remove the "?" from this thread title :smile:

Thank You for sharing this. It is a bit more reassuring. I look forward to the day we can remove the "?" from this thread title :smile:

Hi Guys,

Seem to be a fair bit of circle work going on re Australia. The good news in speaking with some colleagues in CA (and as we know) EU production is kicking off now which is great. I remember when sitting with the homologation team last year that once EU gest of the ground production ground all RHD is next. From my industry experience, i know all well that EU is the toughest and most stringent market to homologate - this will benefit us greatly - it wont just be a tick and flick - as crash testing etc will be required for RHD due to volumes.

I agree, i think it is extremely ambitious for a first 2014 drop date as i know what is required just logistically to get this happening. I had a process in place for national deliveries however now not knowing what the approach is, i would suggest like a number of the other markets, this will be derived from service locations. T has cancelled the delivery experience to your door (or anywhere it makes you smile) and now utilise these service centres as logistics hubs to deliver. for a fee, your car can still be delivered to your home or work (for us that would be minimum $2,000 for an enclosed carrier) - there has been quite a shift again in the sales organisation in california with staff and it looks like it is going the way of sensible sales and distribution. You are right Steve, Huw is great but there sure needs to be someone in Australia -

There has been discussion that display vehicles and test drive vehicles will be in Australia in the coming months and pricing will also be available. This would be great, although once again need a proper program to deliver it. just knowing the focus and build out of the US market, it is still the bread and butter and will always be the concentration. EU will be the next big challenge in getting that right. AU/NZ are different markets. Not that we are difficult - just that we have so much ground to cover - none of the system from the US worked for Roadster delivery and the best approach was to listen to customers and make it happen. If not we would have only had Roadster owners within a 100km radius of Sydney instead of owners in every state incl WA and NZ.

ill keep the dialogue open and any bits of info add to our thread too. Keeping a watchful eye on hong kong as well (they have had a test drive car there since the start of the year) because that will be a trigger for our market too (albeit they have already been able to do more that 300 test drives)

We should maybe get as many people together for a coffee in Syd and in Melb and have a chat about some more details (wink) - and get any outcomes to the other members too AU/NZ.....and any reservation holders that are not online we can encourage to join.

best to everyone and look forward to catch up!!!

Regards
JM

Lets do coffee/lunch/dinner. Name the time and place. If in Melbourne, my brother and I would be happy to offer our company's boardroom and to cater.

Maybe we should invite someone from Tesla USA?!

A month from now, after July 20th sometime? If people are interested please email me on [email protected] as well as posting your responses on this forum. Welcome your thoughts. Thanks, Iain.

I'd love to catch up in Sydney with some fellow reservation holders. My biggest concern right now is that the dollar has devalued by 10% or more which will add significantly to the cost of the car. After LCT & sales tax, each additional dollar means $1.52 to the price of the car (before the dollar devalues).
:(

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, Sig#7, first reservation 20 November 2010. Happy to meet in Sydney. I am in Roseville, which is probably not far from David (dborn). Not sure how the private messages work yet, but happy to receive one if lunch dates are being arranged. Haven't been to any Tesla functions except for accepting Jay's offer of a Roadster drive before he left, but I met JB Straubel a few years ago. Thanks for copying the letter from George, David.

Cheers

I'd love to catch up in Sydney with some fellow reservation holders. My biggest concern right now is that the dollar has devalued by 10% or more which will add significantly to the cost of the car. After LCT & sales tax, each additional dollar means $1.52 to the price of the car (before the dollar devalues).
:(

Hmm, This looks like it could be a real issue. That being said, it is possible the dollar may change between now and the end of the year.

When I placed my reservation, I also bought 2000 TSLA shares (1000 at ~$35, 1000 at ~$37), at the moment, it looks like that'll be paying off my car haha (considering the TSLA share price is ~$100.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, Sig#7, first reservation 20 November 2010. Happy to meet in Sydney. I am in Roseville, which is probably not far from David (dborn). Not sure how the private messages work yet, but happy to receive one if lunch dates are being arranged. Haven't been to any Tesla functions except for accepting Jay's offer of a Roadster drive before he left, but I met JB Straubel a few years ago. Thanks for copying the letter from George, David.

Cheers

I would come for the lunch, but am due to be very busy at work these next couple of months, and I'm based in Canberra,

Hmm, This looks like it could be a real issue. That being said, it is possible the dollar may change between now and the end of the year.

When I placed my reservation, I also bought 2000 TSLA shares (1000 at ~$35, 1000 at ~$37), at the moment, it looks like that'll be paying off my car haha (considering the TSLA share price is ~$100.

I would come for the lunch, but am due to be very busy at work these next couple of months, and I'm based in Canberra,
Yes indeed, i purchased at 32 and soon as it gets to 125 which could be as soon as next quarter results, will sell just enough to pay for the car leaving enough over to hopefully regain my original stake and a small profit! Great having the company buy the car for you and then pay you to have it! (hopefully that scenario comes true). Mind you, i think this could only happen in America. Never seen shares do what they do except in the USA. See Apple for instance. While i think the upside could 200 or even 300, I want to lock in my car.

It is a pretty great story isn't it DBorn et al when you can invest in a company - watch it grow and succeed - then use the success of your investment to purchase your car and have a your initial investment left over.....I am good for an early July meet up - I am overseas late July too......I will be in Melbourne a couple of times before then IB so happy to connect with a group for coffee there too!.

Few UK reports coming out now although colleagues are still few on the ground there - a big focus on the EU distribution & logistics Germany and the Netherlands will be the big test - investment there has been big - and like the US - staff is heavily weighted to those markets.....US are adding HUGE staff numbers still.....

For us - our watchful eye should be on JP - closely followed by HK - (they have done over 300 test drives already) and ofcourse the press -

Speak soon!
Jmac

It is a pretty great story isn't it DBorn et al when you can invest in a company - watch it grow and succeed - then use the success of your investment to purchase your car and have a your initial investment left over.....I am good for an early July meet up - I am overseas late July too......I will be in Melbourne a couple of times before then IB so happy to connect with a group for coffee there too!.

Few UK reports coming out now although colleagues are still few on the ground there - a big focus on the EU distribution & logistics Germany and the Netherlands will be the big test - investment there has been big - and like the US - staff is heavily weighted to those markets.....US are adding HUGE staff numbers still.....

For us - our watchful eye should be on JP - closely followed by HK - (they have done over 300 test drives already) and ofcourse the press -

Speak soon!
Jmac
i will be away first week in July, but otherwise available for a group meet up.

I'd love to join a Sydney meet up although I'm spending every second week-end out of Sydney.
I too thought to invest but didn't manly because I couldn't find a suitable stockbroker.
I would be interested to know how those that did invest trade on the NASDAQ from Australia.
I am saving hard in the traditional way, since 2006, helped by a good property investment but the change in the exchange rate may see a Model S slip from my grasp, but I haven't given up yet!

I'd love to join a Sydney meet up although I'm spending every second week-end out of Sydney.
I too thought to invest but didn't manly because I couldn't find a suitable stockbroker.
I would be interested to know how those that did invest trade on the NASDAQ from Australia.
I am saving hard in the traditional way, since 2006, helped by a good property investment but the change in the exchange rate may see a Model S slip from my grasp, but I haven't given up yet!
i think my financial planner went through Comm bank.

Unfortunately my self 'un'managed super fund just missed out on the big rise in Tesla shares. I opened an account in Interactive Brokers and my first trade was to be Tesla shares. I didn't know it at the time but shares were close to rock bottom. The price was somewhere around $28. Thinking I was clever I put in a bid which would have bought the shares at around 20c under the days close. Guess what, the price started to go up almost immediately and never dipped, even as little as 20c. They are now $100+. Hindsight? Yep it is a wonderful thing.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems as though finding a suitable meeting time/place will be difficult. JMAC please email or call me when you are next in Melbourne. I haven't seen you since the Get Amped event in San Fran and it would be good to see you again. My brother, also a reservation holder, would also like to meet with you.

To anyone in or coming to Melbourne please get in touch. When I am next in Sydney I'll post on this forum a date and time for a get together and whoever can make please come along.

Hi All

Hope everyone is well and keeping dry & warm with this weather.

What did everyone think of the Battery Swap Demo last week? - impressive to turn two cars around in the same time it takes to fill a 100ltr tank - still, supercharges are still the way to go - have used a number of them now, I can stop, plug in, order a coffee and a bite, take a toilet break, finish my food and return the Model S with an almost full pack and nearly 500kms - that will do me just fine ;-)....

Early July meet up sounds good to me - look forward to it

Regards
Jmac